20-22 people linked to health related vaping problems:

The worst part is these pods were provided to area drug dealers from a government agent to cause these kids to get as sick as they are. They knew what was going to happen and that it would be more leverage they can use to help sway public opinion toward a vape ban. The states are losing tens of millions of dollars due to the drop in tobacco revenues. Before vaping all the options to quit smoking were never more successful than the rate of new smokers so they knew would always be getting at least the same amount from the tobacco revenue. They started to depend on that money and spending it before they had it. That’s the problem vaping is causing them and the biggest losers are California and Illinois which is why they are the most aggressive lobbying for a vaping ban. It’s messed up but I think most adults are aware of the terrible things are government has done in the past and continues to do, and remember that’s only what we are aware of. I’m not a 9/11 denier and I don’t have a tinfoil hat but if everyone knew the things our government has done there would be mass outrage and rioting in the streets. Truth be told they gave the tainted cartridges to Illlinois drug dealers in hopes it would have been centered in that state but it ended up in Wisconsin which is that big of deal, the damage to vaping has still been done. I just hope enough people know the virtues of vaping and the lives it has saved and continues to save when it comes time to vote. I will likely disappear for calling this out and all I can say is I regret I have but one life to give for this cause and I know this will never come to light but I hope they don’t succeed not just for all of you but for the many lives vaping will continue to save if vaping remains legal and unmolested by our government.

10 Likes

Emblematic of the theatrical (rhetorical) “ambulance chasing” eagerness of the CDC - and with assent and assistance of the breathless, brainless, click-bait “press” - note how early-on the CDC saw an opportunity to poke their vainglorious festooned snouts into these “murky blips”. The CDC is largely a ruthless political tool.
(CDC: August 2, 2019):
CDC Urges Clinicians to Report Possible Cases of Unexplained Vaping-associated Pulmonary Illness to their State/Local Health Department

Speaking of chemical-statist totalitarian regimes, also consider (possible) Russian troll agitprop activities:
(Sputnik News: August 20, 2019):
94 Cases of Severe Lung Disease Are Suspected to Be Linked to Vaping Oil
(Sputnik News: August 22, 2019):
‘Vaping’ Damages Arteries And Blood Vessels Even Without Nicotine, Study Finds

It seems perhaps a tad ironic (if not hypocritical) to - with virtually little or no specific information available - eagerly scapegoat and revile people who utilize substances of largely unknown physiological effects in the course of self-administering mood-altering agents, when there is nothing particularly “sacred” about Nicotine and very little or no assurances that components of e-juices are themselves (necessarily) much less “dicey”

Man makes holy what he believes as he makes beautiful what he loves.
- Ernest Renan

2 Likes

Once politicized, science dies. Constant reiteration of echoaelic propaganda works. This is the fact that now determines history.

7 Likes

It is a shame that people use the wrong extracts and all kind of crap in thc containing juices. It looks like both pg and vg are decent carriers for cannabinoids and that ethanol extraction works fine, which would works very well for extraction from decarboxylated material which would make a THC/CBD/… Really easy to make. Hell, I have heard of people dissolving hash in heated pg rather successfully.
Cannabis raw plants material is stupidly cheap to produce as well, specially for extraction where less care is required.

The spice/K2 epidemic is really a result of prohibition and is killing people. Pods of crap that make you real ill are just a variant of that, I guess.

Sadly, people will be people and try using all kind of crap, and a vaporiser is a fairly dangerous delivery method. Lungs are sensitive and not that great at dealing with contaminants ( trapping rather than expelling all too often )

7 Likes

I spent 8 days in the hospital 3 in intensive care 2 weeks ago. I had developed a sinus and lung cold that lasted approx 6 weeks and even after 2 visits to my doctor continued to get worse. Many of my symptoms were what the news reports were stating. My CO2 was 92 % when I checked into the hospital. Wheezing in my lungs with a terrible cough especially in the mornings. It was an a cough I could not control and would cough all my air out and not recover well. Earned me my stint in ICU I do think it was from vaping but then I have vaped over 5 years and have been mixing my own for 4 with no problems up to that time. My last mix used new nicotine and new PG or VG cant remember which. I think there is something in the supply chain that is tainted. I think I got exposed to it and that is what is going on with the teens and young adults that are in the news. Currently wearing a patch and after what I experienced will continue to use that as my nicotine replacement. Loved to vape just gun shy right now. Wanted to let you good people know what I went through and hope none of you ever do.

4 Likes

Well stated. When any person(s) treat (and predominantly value) merely alleged to be objective knowledge-claims as conveniently welcomed blunt propaganda instruments with which to attempt to influence human behaviors in manners which happen to be for whatever reason(s) desired by this or that person/group - irrespective of any particular genuine concern regarding, or desire for scrutiny of, the demonstrable and durable veracity of the knowledge-claims disseminated - we largely sacrifice any legitimate claims that our goals constitute quests for truths, content to envision ourselves as all-knowing by virtue only of our particular desires and held prejudices, and to envision others as misguided simply because they fail to tell us what we (in our own self-serving dogmatisms) desire to hear. Adolf Hitler believed that, “The great strength of the totalitarian state is that it forces those who fear it to imitate it”. In a “totalitarian state” (of ideas), those who grasp to leverage the same injustices (of prejudicial distortions and deceptions) used against them in their criticisms of others, in doing so sacrifice their own credibility. (What are potentially scientifically verifiable) truths are ultimately not “fungible commodities” to be traded as cannon-fodder in prejudicial “culture wars”.

5 Likes

No dude… all of the articles I am reading deal with street drugs… not nicotine flavors and base mix…
they are buying off their dealers and getting wacked.

You do know you can make a few calls and report to who ever sold you your vape mixing supplies and find out if there is anything wrong, or other people with issues…

Did you get a hole punched into your lung to inflate it? these folks are coming into the hospitals with collapsed lungs… I could be wrong… but somehow… yeah no. who knows… .

4 Likes

My son went through the same thing last year. He’s never touched a vape or a cig. It took him two months to recover and they never did “officially” figure out what caused it.

4 Likes

The “Iron law of prohibition” (in general) has been and remains responsible for a large (and in many cases unnecessary) amount of dangers, harms, deaths. People (in general, and in particular) tend to be attracted (as opposed to repulsed) by the oppressive imposition of cultural “taboos” (whether they be of theocratic, pseudo-psychiatric, or pseudo-physiological origins). Such paternalistic and prohibitive crusades have the intended effect of reducing even competent adults to states of quite forcefully conscripted infantilism - with observably destructive cultural consequences. The ill-posed and commonly irrationally catastrophized fears that theocratically based cultures strangely (yet strategically) favor regarding human pleasures leads to the destruction of tangible human liberties surrounding free will - and demonstrably engenders a lame culture of accepted authoritarian “inquisitions” executed in the interests of maintaining spiritual and societal serfdom.

4 Likes

Smoky, with specific regards to the recent purposely engendered and strategically catastrophized hysteria surrounding completely undetermined pulmonary maladies (involving on the order of 1 per 100,000 of an estimated US vaping population of ~10 Million persons), I’m not able to locate much of any directly sourced (non-hearsay speculation) reports indicating non-Nicotine delivery systems. While there do exist published concerns surrounding cannabinoid (organic and/or synthetic) products (in states where such things are legal and illegal), I do not find much of any convincingly meaningful links specifically surrounding the recent (CDC encouraged) “press” feeding-frenzy. Can you provide us with links to any such published knowledge-claims?

3 Likes

I found this… scroll down towards the end, under recent examples… the article too is full of info and links…

Will see what else I can pull up.

Off topic…
Somehow I side tracked and found out Meth heads can get lungs crystallized? wth??

Did you look at this one and check the reference links? this is not the earliest one I have found… there is one from 1974 too… but think I closed that link out…

2 Likes

In many cases, patients have acknowledged recent use of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)-containing products while speaking to healthcare personnel or in follow-up interviews by health department staff; however, no specific product has been identified in all cases, nor has any product been conclusively linked to illnesses.

Please note that this (quite vague and non-forthcoming) general information originated from the CDC (known political tools and demonstrably established to be repeated purveyors of absolute-garbage-level data, hearsay, unqualified speculations, and socio-political propaganda as grandstanding sycophants) …

… and has been merely repetitively “copied and pasted” without question by a blogger self-described as:
Paramedic EMT-II (Ret.), Computer software designer, Building contractor, Cruising sailor, Humorist. . . obviously unable to hold a job.

Please note the potential dangers of willful (albeit possibly unconscious) “confirmation-bias”. Only the determination of detailed evidence from known to be reliable sources can put such concerns to rest. The CDC is (demonstrably, and notoriously) not a “reliable source” whatsoever. Just wait until they “get through with us” (the faithful “Nicotinians”). I would wager that (our) opinion of their veracity will suffer a “great fall”.

4 Likes

Im trying to see what FEMA has to say too, Raven

There there is healthline…

Again…
“” The damage to the lungs from smoking marijuana, in which abnormal, large air sacs called bullae form and can rupture, may be the reason marijuana smokers are at risk for developing a pneumothorax, which is when air gets into the space outside the lungs and causes a collapsed lung.""

<< ((that word here… pneumothorax… if you dig in the grasscity forums… comes from that inhale hold exhale style… ))

I might be mistaken… tired here… been going since 4am…

2 Likes

I am asking what any of these (cannabis-related) things are in any way reliably actually known to be involved with these “sock-puppet cases” of pulmonary problems of unknown etiology (which is not at all uncommon in respiratory medicine) that are in a fashionable “flavor of the month” manner being attempted to be pinned-onto (any/all) “vapers” ? Have you considered the possibility that none of the “usual suspects” are “guilty”?

In addition to pesticides, one of the most dangerous “contaminants” of both cannabis as well as tobacco-leaf products may be microbes - Aspergillus Fumigatus in particular, which can take rapid and deadly hold of persons who are immune-compromised for any number of reasons (including the use of prescribed meds):
“Testing Cannabis for Contaminants”; BOTEC Analysis Corp. for Washington State (2013)

3 Likes

You have it right here… and as the “CDC” is now investigating the 92-104 cases that have recently sprouted up… give or take a half dozen… until they are finished… searching for anything is rather route…

Right here is the end goal… but its my speculation… We all know vaping has a few more years… at least here in the states… and within the next couple… vaping as we know it will change yet again… how drastic is anyone’s guess.

As far as proof from a non judgmental/professional ethical gov entity… really? their goal is what? Not to us as solo vapers… they aim for the big T big P and for the states that are loosing their tail over the blood money… loans are being called in and something has to give.

3 Likes

More than likely the media jumping to conclusions about the incidents being related. I would not be quick to believe what is obviously a guess at the relationship between the incidents. (what ever happened to reporters actually researching a story before it goes to print?). But here it is anyhow.

3 Likes

Seems to have evaporated around the demise of actual “printing”. “Click-bait” has become unitary life-blood

The terrible (and pernicious) irony is that while “cyber-glyphs” may (by virtue of pure redundant repetition) be more durably lasting than are printed materials, that pervasiveness (alone, existing largely un-scrutinized) speaks nothing to issues of actual veracity - and corresponding meaningfulness. “So much ‘data’ - so little information”. (We) are becoming mentally vegetative, seduced by smooth and sexy plasticine “machinery”. Blatantly lame “copy and paste” publishing practices have invaded, and thus degraded, human discourse.

6 Likes

I think the issue is until all the facts are present, until they can mimic and reproduce what is going on… kind of hard to post facts… but I will agree… some part of this is aimed at us vapors and with the common denom is a street drug use… well… yeah…

ok I am off for the night… I need my pillow… too much of this is just not good… I dont care if it is 92, 104, or just 1… this is some scary stuff…

5 Likes

The SF Chronicle article contains somewhat more tending towards specific reported information. However, the idea that an “absence of evidence” constitutes meaningful “evidence of absence” for a number of very hard to diagnose (as well as hard or impossible to “test for”) pathogens (viruses, bacteria, fungi, molds, and parasites) is an obvious “red herring” that no competent physician trained in pulmonary medicine would dare support in testimony - as is somewhat detailed with regards to certain related radiological indications in my previous post (above). They are at best “grasping at” (socio-politically fashionable) “straws” - and the click-bait fueled “press” and chemical-statist opportunists like the CDC are capitalizing on their own home-grown agitprop hysteria for purposes of molding and controlling public perceptions (“blinding with pseudo-science”).

Note that general practice and other physicians, when asked for prescriptions for antibiotics by those hoping to clear lung congestions associated with (themselves not well characterized) cold/flu infections, will readily tell patients that many viruses and other pathogens cannot be tested for, or at all easily diagnosed. That is why they increasingly refrain from prescribing antibiotics (which are effective only against certain bacteria).

Inhaling vapors and/or combustion-products (of just about anything) is likely somewhat compromising for many persons’ lungs. All of our lives, we remain thankfully unaffected by a multitude of potentially deadly pathogens residing in our lung tissues, due (only) to our extremely complicated (and quite amazing) immune systems. Any compromises to a delicate “immuno-stasis” - whether due to pathogen and/or toxin exposure, various types of pulmonary and/or systemic disease states, simply aging, etc, can engender an opportunity for many various (and common) lung pathogens to take hold. Physicians operate “through a glass darkly”.

6 Likes

Wow, a rational article regarding this whole mess…

8 Likes