A Walk Down Memory Lane

Better looking don’t always mean better performance. That goes for all things in life :wink: The vape is great but I’m still playing around with the AF setting. Also, I think I’m needing more wicking around the coil and might need to thicken it up. I’m noticing a bit of dryness on the big open air pulls with higher power. How did you wick yours? Just like Rip did it, crisscrossing the wick then cutting the ends?

ETA: I noticed more throat hit when the AF was wide open. You? Either that or my wick was drying fast and I need more. I have a 30/70 blend in it.

9 Likes

@Lostmarbles do you have the OG Crown tank with RBA? There’s a chimney build for that one too. You have to install it upside down because of the deck design. Have you tried it? It’s similar with 24g 3mm ID.

ETA: Hmm, this might have me on a chimney quest. There’s lots of tanks that can take a chimney coil that I haven’t explored yet. Even the KF 2019. If they made the legs longer and the lengths shorter on the mesh coils available, we could wrap our own vertical mesh coils on a number of tanks. That would keep us old and bored vapers busy for awhile :rofl:

8 Likes

@Lostmarbles Have you ever prepared SS mesh as wicking material? The flavor is insane (if you don’t mind going through the preparation).

8 Likes

Many times, but only on actual mesh decks. Never on a traditional deck. I remember seeing a Russian (I think) video on YT we’re a guy took a strand of round wire then wrapped that with a strand of mesh and coiled it. Interesting, but never did it.

I don’t think I’ve ever owned a crown. Heard a lot about them though

I cut the wick like rip did his. Works fine and I’m vaping at 33w. More than that it gets too hot for me. My AF is wide open and not much of a TH. My blend is 70/30 so yours would be a stronger TH I would think.

8 Likes

Not to be confusing, I’m meaning 70% VG. You know, east/west coast call the blends opposite of each other.

8 Likes

In that case…
Nevermind.

9 Likes

I changed the DT and have some improvement on the AF.

Tried different looks, lol

10 Likes

I have been organizing my vape stuff and this is definitely taking me down memory lane. Not enough time to go into it tonight but great topic @muth :grin:

9 Likes

Heehee, I’m afraid to start organizing. I figure it might keep me busy for a couple of years trying things out again after all this time.

I hope you find something to post here.

8 Likes

@Lostmarbles I wanted to show you what I think was happening with my wick and getting a harsher TH. I was a bit suspicious of this while wicking and suspected this outcome. I just added a swab of cotton to beef it up and it seems fine now. Idk why you didn’t get this since we both wicked the same way. Maybe the quality of my cotton?

You can see the right side where the tails crisscross and make for more thickness. The left side is just kaputz!

7 Likes

I see what you mean. Maybe try a longer tail going around another half? I know there isn’t much room to work with near the binding posts. You could also try adding some loose cotton between the post and coil and see if that helps. I didn’t use enough to cover the screws. Any chance the cotton rode up and is leavig the bottom of the coil cottonless? I used a tiny eyeglass screwdriver to push it down to make sure that sucker was fully covered.

EDIT: @muth so I tried to rewick because I don’t take long hits, but when I tried to, I think I experienced what you’re talking about. My assumption is that the wick isn’t being saturated fast enough. This time, I didn’t cut the wick where it crosses over, but took one end another 1/2 wrap so both ended up where the juice ports are. I then cut the ends at the point above the port opening just level with the coil legs get screwed down and doest fill the port with cotton. That seems to have worked

8 Likes

I’m not sure I follow you. Maybe a pic? The wick didn’t ride up but what I did was just cut a piece of cotton to fill in the thin area and that works. It was definitely getting saturated, btw. If it wasn’t, just adding the extra cotton wouldn’t have worked.

7 Likes

I’ll give it a shot later if I can

7 Likes

Found these too, It was a blast going to these back in the day!

8 Likes

I looked around and found my W5 and have the Crest Cap for it. Beautiful high polish SS, looks like chrome.

11 Likes

Oh geez, I think I have a W5 somewhere. Maybe. I dunno anymore LOL

7 Likes

Check it out, I have a Uwell D2 RTA. I didn’t even know what that was until a friend piffed it. I need to build it, it has top AF and great flavor, Aromamizer style wicking…

11 Likes

Lol, Vaping Heathen removed the outer quartz tank and vaped without it, giving it more air and boosting the power to 100w. I would have never thought of doing that. A great example of how we were more DIY back then, always experimenting and being innovative with our gear.

8 Likes

oh, that looks cool! I don’t think I’ve ever heard of that one.

7 Likes

I know, right? I don’t even remember top air back then.

7 Likes