Actual Food Recipes

What do you like to cook, what’s your favorite food recipe?
Secret ingredient that you found out wasn’t so secret?
Have a best food recipe that you think the world should try and bake?
Post it here, for discussion sake!

4 Likes

A little break down, my guilty pleasure are sour gummies and jelly donuts.
Just made these for my kids, and wow! before settling, it tastes legit.

1 Cup of Apple juice, Unsweetened
1/2 corn syrup
4 packets of unflavored gelatin
1 6oz pack of jello
1 pack of koolaid (to match the jello)
1 tbsp. of Citric Acid (To make it sour)
1 8x8 tin pan
syran wrap

Lessons learned
-The unflavored gelatin will clump if added to heat. Add it to the applejuice and hand stir/whisk before you semiboil or bring to heat.
-I’m putting mine in the fridge to settle, for 4 hours per jello box directions.
I think it was like 9 bucks for enough material for 2 sets, I got strawberry and then mix/tropical berry (the blue stuff), not including citric acid which I had on standby. Jello/koolaid and gelatin would probably be about 2-3 bucks for a mix.

6 Likes

Cooking was and is my first passion. Working in about every area of food service there is I have learned a lot. Top three favorite things to grill are Steak, ribs, and pork bbq. Top three to cook are stir fry, nachos, lima beans w/ sausage. Top three to bake are lemon pound cake, southern biscuits, and bagels.

2 Likes

One of my favs & easy to make!
(Once cool, it travels to work well for snacking) :grinning:

5 Likes

My mother’s Southern Chicken Cornbread Dressing. This is a family tradition every year at Thanksgiving and Christmas. video of my mom and daughter preparing it here: https://www.tearsofcrimson.com/2018/11/mama-halls-cornbread-dressing-with-video.html

mommas dressing

Ingredients:

2 Pans of Cornbread (If you don’t know how to make cornbread here’s that easy recipe: http://www.whitelily.com/recipes/southern-buttermilk-cornbread-3890
2 Onions (Finely Chopped)
6 Eggs (This is NOT a typo)
1 Lg bag of Leg Quarters
2 Teaspoons of Sage
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 Box Onion Soup Mix
1 Box of Stuffing (For emergency use as you’ll read below)

Directions.

• Boil the leg quarters making sure to keep plenty of water covering them until done (you’ll use this for your broth) When cooked peel it off the bone and set aside to cool.
  • Crumble up your COOKED cornbread into a large pan like the one used above.
  • Mix into cornbread chopped onions, sage, salt and pepper, onion soup mix, eggs, peeled chicken (all ingredients but the stuffing mix).
  • Slowly begin adding your broth (the water you cooked your chicken in) mixing until you can place your hand on top of this mixture and it feels moist to the touch but not overly soupy! This is where that box stuffing comes in. If you put too much broth and need to add more thickness use that stuffing!
  • Place in oven at 350 degrees (preheated please) and cook for 45 minutes!
9 Likes

@authormichellehughes you had me @ …

I WILL be making this one !!!

4 Likes

I hope you love it like our family does … you want to see people angry at family gatherings here omit the dressing LOL

3 Likes

This one is easy as well… Takes me back to my NOLA days. :smile: We make this one or other shrimp/crawfish based entrees quite often.

:man_cook:Lima Beans and Shrimp :woman_cook:

https://louisiana.kitchenandculture.com/recipes/lima-beans-and-shrimp

4 Likes

I’ve used this one time, and time again, never doesn’t work.

http://www.extraordinarybbq.com/award-winning-chicken-thighs/

5 Likes

On my radar! Just bought a bag of charcoal last weekend… :fire::chicken::fire: … anytime is good for grilling. If it’s snowing… even better :sweat_smile:

…the brine IS the secret! :eyes:

4 Likes

4 Likes

The spouse dry brines 2 turkey breast for Thanksgiving every year! Holy smokes… it’s the juiciest turkey anyone has ever eaten! If you want it to be a memorable thanksgiving turkey… brine it! :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

I’m so doing this, I happen to LOVE chicken thighs and I have 6 packages sitting in my freezer because of a great sale at the moment LOL

3 Likes

WEll, pooh… I’m just not good at recipe documentation. This past week, I made 3 casseroles, a chili, and a soup for Sean. I just kind of throw things together that I think will taste good and Sean seems to love it, so I keep doing it. I cook, divide, and freeze for him to take on the road. He warms one up in his ‘lunch box warmer’ when he’s hungry.

Gonna have to try that cornbread recipe though. We love cornbread !

6 Likes

Geez, I was confused when I was reading this recipe this morning. I’m like where’s the corn? Then I saw the link for the cornbread after work, it made sense.
I like the look of that recipe but we don’t have cornbread in Australia and I don’t even recall seeing cornmeal in the shops.
Can I ask a couple of questions? Does cornbread taste like corn or is it just called that because cornmeal is used? And is it sweet?

5 Likes

My cornbread never tastes sweet but there are people that make it sweet … no it doesn’t really taste like corn unless you add corn to it which some people do. Another popular dish for the holidays is corn pudding which does use corn and jiffy mix and it’s definitely sweet. I know many people that add crackling to their cornbread too.

4 Likes

Solidarity Sister! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

My mom is like that, Alisa! She can just put a whole bunch of stuff together and make it taste good. I had to MAKE her hand walk me through that recipe so I could get an idea of amounts of ingredients … I love that talent, but for me it’s all about must be measured precisely hahaha.

3 Likes

Can we assume it is a Squirrel stew or similar? And maybe some squirrel chip cookies for dessert?

4 Likes

Oh yeah!!! :slight_smile:

SQUIRREL STEW WITH PAPRIKA AND GREENS

Squirrel Stew with Paprika - How to Make Squirrel Stew | Hank Shaw

7 Likes