Australia and vaping

As I understand it they’re going after importation and illegal domestic sales, at least initially. That’s federal. If you remember our ‘health minister’ actually said we’re not coming after individual vapers therefore I believe somehow leaving the voting vapers to think it’s not their fault if it goes pear shaped for a single person.

However state laws will differ depending on which state you live in but I think the bottom line is,no matter where you are, yes you could in theory be arrested for simply vaping, with or without nicotine or even a prescription.
Probably not immediately after March 1st and possibly dependent on how officious the copper is.

I just can’t put my thoughts into words how I feel about that. Sensible regulations and enforcement of the existing laws is the only way forward but will we ever see that in this country?

Edit… I forgot you’ll be ok IF you spend a small fortune on a TGA approved pod, IF you bought it from a chemist and IF you have a prescription. The fact that they’ll cost the earth, you could struggle to get a prescription and they’ll be absolutely crap doesn’t matter. From what I’ve seen going down that road won’t be much cheaper than smoking either.
Win win for everyone but vapers who simply want to stay off the smokes.

7 Likes

The only criminal laws are for importing and sales of any thing vape. That includes coils (handmade included), eliquid, nicotine or any and all other vape products or accessories. It also covers dry herb machines as they fall under the definition of an e cigarette under the new passed laws through both Houses of Parliament.

These new laws have been signed off by the governor general so are now laws and why the tga and abf have updated their website

As for being arrested for vaping. This will not be happening as there is no laws about it. Plus that would be counter productive to the new laws where you can purchase vapes etc through the pharmacy. The ONLY way you will be able to purchase them

There is talk about locally made E liquids will continue. The new laws prohibiting and criminalize the sale or eliquid. So local manufacturers WILL be in breach of these laws

The new laws have been passed, as there is talk they are only amendments, Facts are they are laws and will be from effect on 1st March 2024 in Australia. YOU WILL NOT be able to IMPORT ANYTHING! - SALES are prohibited other than existing stock. So once that is GONE it is GONE. This includes E Liquids - This also means that flavour concentrate retailers will also be cut off if they supply or their main client base is ANYTHING to do with e liquids.

8 Likes

@Jetz I very much appreciate you dropping in, and sharing this information. Thank you.

2 Likes

This is so shit.

I really feel for people like yourself you have invested in the business side of the industry.

The fact that the govt are shutting it down with no compensation is even more dirty than the way they have shut it down.

I’m hoping that you’ve got some sort of back up plan (seeing as it’s been a possibility for some time)??

5 Likes

I understand that but as I thought if you were caught using a non prescribed device (as in not the pharmacy pods) you are breaking the law? I hope I’m wrong.

Does this mean that you’ll be shutting your doors? If memory serves you sell to multiple businesses and have prepared for the date.

2 Likes

@Ianc13, @Sevencasper, @Gazza7, @woftam, @Jetz I’m just reading and watching this thread, trying to comprehend it all. I think Darren has solid intel on the ground here …

3 Likes

That was my thought too mate. I heard (but haven’t verified) that a person vaping in WA was arrested for exactly that. I know all the states have different laws though and WA has some of the most severe ones. Last I heard for SA (Where I am) we were required to have a script for purchasing Nic but not for possession. That mght have changed now though…

4 Likes

I think you’re right as I heard that too although if you consider the timing he couldn’t have been charged with possession of vaping merchandise as it’s not illegal yet anyway. I’m in WA and actually didn’t see any press reports on it locally.
My guess is he had nicotine.

3 Likes

Yup that is correct Ian - Trinite Williams who used to own Busso Vapes

4 Likes

Thanks mate, I knew I didn’t imagine it. We live in interesting times I think…

4 Likes

You mainly do MTL, is my memory correct?
If so can you recommend an RTA, I’ll need something with low vapour to use in the dunny at work, been using pods in there but those days are gone.

@woftam I’ll have to dig out that rayon I got off you ages ago, it’s around somewhere. Can you still get this from somewhere?

2 Likes

Correct you are @marsh8 and yes I can recommend something. For what you want I would go with the Berserker B3 (version 3). It is simple, easy to wick and holds a decent enough amount of juice. Not sure how easy they are to get now would be the only issue… I used to use mine around the machines as they are stealthy enough if you use 1 ohm coils or higher. :grin:

3 Likes

I found one, one more question if you don’t mind…

What wire do you use to get 1 ohm that’s a lot higher than any of my wire will do.

3 Likes

28 ga round SS wire is what I use. I am usually running around 1.2 to 1.8 ohms. I use 3mm ID but 2.5mm is what is generally recommended. Just experiment with how many wraps, I am usually around 9 or 10 but it depends on what ID and how high you want the ohms.

3 Likes

Can’t find that one and bugger I gave that away years ago, I wasn’t using it :rofl: Geez not much to choose from what is left, I’ll just take a punt and get a few different ones.

3 Likes

Can try a MTL superfine clapton if you can find it. that works ok in these atties.

3 Likes

I got that, but wasn’t paying attention and got kanthal, I’ll keep my eye out for SS. Cheers for the tips. :tada:

3 Likes

Kanthal might work OK, might just need more wraps. I don’t use it as I get a metallic taste from everything except SS.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I did too when I used it in rebuidables it tasted funny but not in the pre built coil made from kanthal.

Found SS now anyway think I’m stocked on everything after tonight, thanks again for the tips.

4 Likes