Australia and vaping

Continuing from Good Deals 2023

This article may end up pay walled so I will paste some of the content:

The head of the Australian Border Force says the government’s plan to abolish retail vape sales is a “work in progress” with no funding attached to the crackdown in this month’s federal budget.

Commissioner Michael Outram warned that banning vapes at the border won’t be enough to stamp out a rampant black market, as his organisation was already only managing to detect a quarter of illicit drugs making their way into Australia.

But there was no funding in the May budget allocated to enforcing the crackdown – which will require products to be seized at the border and retail sales to be policed at a state level – because the federal government is still figuring out how to regulate and execute the ban with states and territories.

A spokeswoman for Butler said that work was underway, with states and territories expected to play a “strong role”.

“At the Commonwealth level, we recognise additional resourcing will be required for the Therapeutic Goods Administration and the Australian Border Force. There is a commitment from the government to properly fund these activities from changes to the tobacco excise,” she said.

NSW Premier Chris Minns has conceded the vape ban will be difficult to enforce and has indicated his government would seek support from the Commonwealth.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews, whose state budget on Tuesday sought to rein in spending, has said he would engage on the issue in good faith but was concerned the Commonwealth would push costs onto states.

Police Federation of Australia chief executive Scott Weber said officers were already under-resourced at a state and territory level, meaning money for local crackdowns on illegal vapes would probably need to come from federal coffers.

7 Likes

Got this from mixology but the timeline refers to the tobacco act. But ppl are saying vape shops have sent them this. I mainly buy from vapoureyes or Chinese sites. Vapoureyes hasn’t sent anything out about it.

8 Likes

That is so obvious. It astounds me that the vape shops are using it as a “from the man himself” thing when it is so blatently not about the vaping side of things…

9 Likes

Senator Canavan is a legend

9 Likes

5 times increase in young users since the prescription model.
This guy shuts them down at each turn.

“I have to take that on notice” Who’s the wench?

6 Likes

One of the biggest distributors has basically fire sale from yesterday… 35-60% of basically everything expect Anarchist. So I would say they may know a little more about what is going on than what is being said.

From our knowledge 1st july is the date as it aligns with the new fiscal year, new quarter etc. Flavoured e liquids will be gone. Without some wishful thinking that the government will see the light.

5 Likes

Who would that be @Jetz ?

3 Likes

He is a legend!

They just appeared to be a bunch of stumbling idiots and I particularly enjoyed the professor bloke at the end.
Doubling down on policy failure really sums it up.

7 Likes

Great to see the facts being aired. The comment of the profession not having a clue what is what.
You only need to go into any convenience store and ask for a disposable then ask for a nicotine disposable and they ALL pull out a second basket of goodies from under the counter.

The prescription model did fail on this point, though on the other hand allowed personal import of liquid nicotine. I have not see a prescription yet that has disposable nicotine vapes on it and nothing at 50mg for each vape. Though it may be out there… highly doubt that it exists.

The prescription model was always doomed just from the fact that the expiry date is never checked, nor can the number of repeats be regulated or accurately monitors.

Once you have a prescription to tick that box it was basically you can bring in as much liquid nicotine etc.

Crazy and has continued to get crazier.

5 Likes

Once the personal importation ends. Nicotine companies from certain countries will get creative with labelling.

4 Likes

True but they will also be onto that, easier to stock up on a year or two of nicotine now.

6 Likes

I haven’t had any orders stopped yet been stocking up the last month. Better safe than sorry - a mate is thinking about switching so also have bought him some just in case.

4 Likes

Yes I agree when we in the states had our Vapeaggedon I stocked up and bought a gallon of VG Nic from a wholesaler. And I still havent touched the first bottle of it yet. Im Still finishing a liter from Vaperstek i bought years ago. And with my record of usage I’ll be dead before I use all of that gallon.

6 Likes

The statement is about tobacco but the Q&A at the end has some info about vaping, not that the answers are clear - well, to me it’s clear that they are still in the planning set tags and there should have been no public announcement about new vaping legislation when they have no plan. All Butler has done is given everyone plenty of warning to stock up! :roll_eyes: which is fine for Vapers but not fine if you actually want to address the issue of black market vapes.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/the-hon-mark-butler-mp/media/minister-for-health-and-aged-care-press-conference-in-canberra-31-may-2023?language=en&fbclid=IwAR0T1qv0BO2Glv6H902ZykWhFcTLWIg6me5fifIYoACM3CXGqF13eX-gqKM&mc_cid=fed2715537&mc_eid=a685fbf55f

JOURNALIST: I know the announcement today is more about tobacco but it does talk about capturing vaping it its advertising restrictions. Can you talk a bit about what people actually see changing around vape? And there’s a separate piece of work that you proposed around the broader reform around vaping. When will people actually start seeing those sorts of changes in that area, because there’s people walking around Parliament right now with vapes in their pocket, when will we start actually seeing those products removed from stores?

BUTLER: As I’ve said, there’s a couple of pieces of work for us to do to start to see implementation and enforcement of the broad principles that I announced just before Budget. First of all, there is work across the Commonwealth Government that we’re doing right now, particularly with agencies like the TGA – the Therapeutic Goods Administration – that will play an important role in this package of reforms I have announced, but obviously also Border Force. I mean, the chief job of the Commonwealth Government is to seek to prevent these products entering Australia in the first place, and ABF or Border Force obviously has a key role there. We’re in discussions with them and with the TGA to get a whole of Commonwealth approach to implementation and enforcement of the reforms I announced, and we will then need to engage with our state and territory colleagues.

I have a meeting with my state and territory Health Minister colleagues next month. These reforms are on the agenda for that meeting. We will also obviously need to engage with Police Minister level colleagues as well, which is not particularly a matter for me, but colleagues, Minister O’Neill and the Attorney General will be taking leadership of that. So, there is a bit more work to do to design that implementation and enforcement framework, we are committed to funding that properly. That will mean additional funding for the TGA, additional funding for the Australian Border Force. These are additional activities we will be expecting of those Commonwealth agencies. But I will say, in the several discussions I’ve had around these reforms with my state and territory Health Minister colleagues, there is a very high degree of commitment to pursuing these reforms between us. You will also have seen since my announcement a few weeks ago, a range of different initiatives, a range of initiatives put in place already by state and territory governments, either information campaigns into school communities that are marking this as their number one behavioural issue, or survey work that the Queensland Government published only over the weekend, showing just how dangerous the 200 or so chemicals are that people are ingesting into their lungs.

:laughing: “on the agenda, we’ll take that on notice” = we have no idea :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

He’s letting black market to stock up

5 Likes

But why??? It all seems so stupid.

7 Likes

That… exactly!

6 Likes

Which is why it’s so hard to argue the point. You can’t argue with stupid!

9 Likes

I’m certainly not complaining about having more time than I expected but this is just getting ridiculous.
First he announces in a blaze of glory about his ill judged plans but he doesn’t really have a clue about what to do.
Appeasing the backlash that was instigated by government bad policy and trying to win votes.

It’s as clear as mud what is happening and when it’s happening.

5 Likes

Typical politician comes out make announcements about vaping without talking to border force police. maybe it was a tactic to get vape shops to start closing voluntarily.

4 Likes