BBQ is better with a vape

First Ribs of The Year

19 Likes

Seafood Paella done on the Proq Smoker, for tea tonight

11 Likes

@bluenose63 Yummy yummy. Love me some Paella. Heads on for presentation, check !!! Do you use fish stock, or chicken stock ?

4 Likes

I use ready made chicken stock (rather than the cube type) I like fish stock, but the wife isnā€™t keen on it, so have to compromise. :grinning:

5 Likes

Picked up this 500g 21 day aged Sirloin steak with bone in, so thought I would give it ago on the afterburner. Lovely to see the fat and marrow bubble out of the bone with the intense heat. Cooked rare and tasted lovely

After 7 hours in the Bourbon & Tamari Soy Sauce marinade, before being cooked by the afterburner method

IMG_20190423_175935520.thumb.jpg.48889b8a9a54aba2db818c0fd555bd3b.jpg

2 minutes either side as thickest one cooked yet on afterburner

IMG_20190423_184430723.thumb.jpg.be45f17d1c993a7ae25aaa5a2fb8234a.jpg

Sliced & Ready to serve after standing for 5 minutes

IMG_20190423_185102305.thumb.jpg.c249308bfaa0bf7edeac1c21f6a88a79.jpg

Apologies if you donā€™t like it rare and red meat puts you off.

9 Likes

Not sure what the afterburner method is but that looks outstanding!

I do mine similar. Grill at 500F, 2 minutes on one side and 90 seconds on the flip. Let sit for 5 minutes but I melt butter on top after taking it off the grill.

5 Likes

Afterburner is a grill plate made by ProQ that you stick over a chimney starter that you place the steak or piece of meat and cook at (like you do) a high temperature. Cooks and sears.

Any grill over the chimney starter would achieve this, but the Proq has a few lips that overhang the chimney starter and stop it sliding off. It is incredibly hot and a super concentrated area of heat that cooks and sears the meat very quickly. I love rare steak, but donā€™t like a plate of blood as well. This method, lets me have the rare meat and just the juices of the steak on the plate. I am a convert

Also means I can cook the tougher but more flavoursome cuts of steak like flank better with the marinade and using the afterburner method.

Excuse the slicing on this piece of flank, tried cutting at a 45 degree angle against the grain and failed miserably

Youtube Video video showing how it works, very simple but effective for me.

6 Likes

Did you use a butter knife? ,:joy:

4 Likes

I am very left handed and my brain tells me to hold the knife in my left hand and cut against the grain from right to left.:Hence the dogs dinner I made of this:

If you saw me peel a potato with the knife you would flinch, I hold the potato in my right hand next to me and use the knife to peel the potato towards my stomach. Freaks my wife out, so she has bought me a potato peeler as she is convinced I am going to disembowel myself one day.:grinning:

7 Likes

So Iā€™m guessing you where the only south paw in your family growing up. I say this because everyone that I know thatā€™s left handed and didnā€™t have anyone else in the family that was struggle with certain things

3 Likes

Weā€™re the only ones in our ā€œrightā€ mind @Cutlass92

3 Likes

I am indeed, my Mom was born left handed, but back in the 1940-50ā€™s here in the UK, she would tell me. that they would tie your left hand behind your back to the chair or smack it with a ruler to force you to use your right hand at school,

3 Likes

My son is left handed, I struggle to show him how to do stuff, itā€™s like I have to do everything backwards and then I look silly doing it and he looks even funkier doing what I showed him. Like if I try to translate my movement from my right to left it just loses something.

3 Likes

Chicken kebab on the Rotisserie today

7 Likes

Afterburner = 700* F two minutes a side (wear your glove or serious hair loss is to be expected) medium rare nice char on the Big Green Egg =)

5 Likes

11 Likes

3 racks baby backs. One is a mustard based sauce from a local BBQ joint. The other two are doused in a sauce I made with ketchup, honey, molasses, rib rub, Cayenne and apple cider vinegar.

11 Likes

Oh please do!!! Love ribs, and from the looks of them @SthrnMixer knows how to do them right!

6 Likes

O dear, Iā€™m sooooo sorry, I just seen another thread and me trying to be funny came ad a completely wrong moment. Iā€™m taking away my post and apologize to anyone I might have offended.

2 Likes

It is very kind of you to be so thoughtful but I donā€™t think you were offensive.

5 Likes