Best and Worst Mods and Why

Part of it is my vaping style has changed, going from mods to squonking. It’s my preferred style. Also, like so many of us here, once I find something I really like I tend to get a couple more. I know that all regulated mods will give out eventually. I’ve been lucky as in over 3 years now, I’ve only broken one mod. I dove headfirst into the rabbit hole. I’ve stopped descending at this point, but I sure have collected a lot of stuff over the past three years.

7 Likes

@woftam, I thought I thanked you for the cotton information? if not, TYSVM!!! all of this really helps! and it’s giving me tons of modification ideas to make better tanks! just simple add-ons to existing tanks. things that will make them semi-top airflow tanks and other ideas too! If I do make alterations, I’d post how-to’s for free or make 'em for people in the forum! Free too. I’m an excellent McGuyver. I can usually impress people. That damn engineering degree might pay off after all!!! Imagine that?!?!? :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

6 Likes

I love my SMOK X-priv! My first one with the Vaporesso NRG 5ml tank. Vapes very cool air, nice on my throat.
I don’t like my SMOK X-priv 2 deluxe, why is ghosting on me, sometimes when you look at the screen it flips to the menu and back, a couple off times. Then I try to sut it off and it won’t, I have to take the batteries out. I’m so affraid it will quite on me soon and I only have the thing for about 3 mounts or so.

6 Likes

My worst mod is the Aegis Legend. Waterproof??? Mine’s sitting on the counter from getting soaked inside just because I tried to wash it ultra quick. I have had to take it apart an I know how to add gasket sealant. That damn software update port… It’s never been waterproof. It’s where any liquid can get into. I’m about ready to take it apart and caulk all the way around it on the inside. Even if it means getting caulk of the circuit board!

It wasn’t a cheap mod either. It’s still more expensive in places than my Valyrian II.

I didn’t like the Wisemec Active but it wasn’t all that bad. This Aegis is driving me nuts!!!

4 Likes

Thanks Doug that’s made my mind up on the Aegis :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Englishguy the only thing stopping liquids getting into the software update port is a rubber plug. I’ve had to take mine apart regularly. The port for software updates will also charge your batteries. The micro USB jack has absolutely no waterproofing sealant around it inside. It’s ridiculous!!!

I owned mine for a week before the tank leaked and juice got into it. the front buttons have no rubberized seal around them either. buttons can be made with filament seals (nitrle glove rubber glued to the button and frame). That way the buttons flex and you’d never notice it. I can hold mine under water for as long as my Vilyrain II and they’ll last as long as each other for waterproofing.

Sad isn’t it? I have to modify my mod to make it waterproof? :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

@Englishguy

It’s been sitting there like that all night. Water literally POURED out of it!!!
The batteries were drenched!!!

2 Likes

And everybody always says it’s recommended to use an external charger because you will wear out any plugs and the port itself. Not only that, but you have to rely on the charging settings from the mod that are non-adjustable unlike on a decent external charger (so you might even damage your batteries too). A mod doesn’t have any temperature sensors for the batteries so it could even become quite dangerous. ONLY use that port for charging in emergencies.
If you’re going to keep charging your batteries with your mod, you will get problems with other mods as well. This is user error, not a problem with the mod.

If you’re having issues with your mod, and that happens even with the best and most expensive brands, you should take it in for warranty - repair or replacement. The Aegis Legend is a good mod that will last most people for years.

=> This device is not meant to be taken apart because you will destroy the mod or at least not make it waterproof anymore should you be able to put it back together.

11 Likes

I can make it waterproof. I have better gasket material than what was used in the unit when it was built. I need to get something to seal off the port area. It’s wide open around the port itself. I cant believe they left it open like that! I mean you can pour water straight through the device!I have to get that sealed up. Once I do that, there won’t be this nightmare issue anymore.

2 Likes

My favorite Jac vapour b series mod small device built well DNA chip.

2 Likes

Doug it sounds like yours is not sealed? I can assure you that the Aegis is water proof I have dropped it in the pool to check.
Doesn’t yours have the rubber boot over the usb port? If not there is a spare one in the box that it came in.

6 Likes

I don’t have the 200 but I have the 100 the 80 and the boost (sending my boost out to a friend on Tues) and they all have covers for the usb port…

I dont stick mine under running water… I just use a damp wet washcloth and wipe. I got mine for the times my son and I hike and if we happen to jump in the river… I hope mine will stay waterproof… haven’t tested them out yet. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Before you modify… you might want to take @anon28032772 advice and send it back for warranty repairs. :wink:

Sometimes it’s a pain (warranty repairs)… but, if you received a “lemon” mod, they owe it to you to make it right! :triumph:

7 Likes

I’ve owned the Legend for about 6 months, and have lost count on how many times I’ve dropped it. Still works as good as new, touch wood, but then I’ve never tampered with the upgrade /charge port. I’d buy another one tomorrow. Fantastic mod imo.

9 Likes

95% of my prior frustrations with numerous mods and batteries (from all kinds of different manufacturers) went away after a liberal implementation of these things :nerd_face: :partying_face: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I wish rubber plugs were common place on ALL mods like they are on the aegis line… plug it up and forget it’s there… I wouldn’t mind it actually taking step(s) of disassembly to access the port on a mod.

5 Likes

That’s actually what they did with the Jackaroo. Pull out a screw driver if you want to access it, which will likely only happen for a firmware upgrade.
That being said, even if I barely use it myself, I do like that the option is there for emergencies. It’s still better to charge your battery in a bad way than to grab for something else to get your nicotine fix :wink:

3 Likes

The original aegis was like this too, doesnt it?

1 Like

I think so. Not sure, never had one myself.

2 Likes

OK, everyone swears the Aegis Legend is fabulous… Again, the only place that juice got into mine was through the micro USB port on top. I’ve taken it apart, put it back together, and made it waterproof now 3 times? All but THAT PORT (and 3 control buttons… gonna work on that. I’m gonna glue some nirtle glove material around each).

I’m gonna go mad figuring out how to make that port usable and waterproof at the same time. Ugh!!!

Time to take it apart, flush it with electronics safe degreaser (vinegar, then electronic equipment spray works well on juice) … Put it all back together with gasket sealer…

I think I’m just going to use good old RTV gasket sealer and seal it shut. If I could, I’d find a place to re-route it to. UUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!

2 Likes

Interesting how we all experience things differently. I have three Snow Wolf MFeng and VFeng UX, one with a Freemax Mesh Pro and two with SMOK TFV16. I use single mesh coils. Of my thirty-something mods the UX are my favorites because of how they fit my hand, are light enough to wear on a lanyard (I’m in a wheelchair and can’t get to pockets easily), have great battery life with the attys and coils mentioned above. I vape them all at 85w.

5 Likes