Beta Testing New Flavors :D

Final thoughts on Beta Box 3 since I can’t find (read: to lazy to look for) my original post. All mixed at 40 PG 60 VG 8% flavor no nic. Tested in a velocity with cotton and a magma with hemp.

• Beta - English Breakfast Tea 8% (SnV - Really nice. Kind of light, slightly floral, even some tea notes. I like a lot. 1 week - same; possibly the best of this lot. 2 weeks - weaker but still really nice. 3 weeks - same as two. Slightly floral and sweet. 4 weeks - pretty much the same. Sweet, slightly floral, and maybe a little creamy/milky. I like it and would order this.)
  • Beta - Hickory Smoke 8% (SnV - slightly sweet, a little smoky. I kinda like it. 1 week - just sweet. 2 weeks - same. Kinda lacking now. 3 weeks - just sweet, a little dry. 4 weeks - same. Sweet, kinda dry, maybe a hint of smoke somewhere in the background. Kinda disappointed it’s not smokier. Don’t think I’ll ever use this.)
  • Beta - Lemon Tea 8% (SnV - light lemon, a little leafy, kinda weak. 1 week - same. 2 weeks - still pretty weak. Pretty vague now. 3 weeks - same. Decent flavor, just weak and generic. 4 weeks - pretty much the same. Getting a little more of the tea vibe now. Tastes kinda like Brisk or Lipton bottled tea. Maybe with a higher percent and a little doctoring, it’d be good. I’d buy it on sale.)
  • Beta - Pink Starburst v2 8% (SnV - sweet, slightly tart. Not sure it’s pink starburst yet, but we’ll see. 1 week - same, more tart. A little more strawberry. 2 weeks - much better. Tastes like a starburst. 3 weeks - tastes less like a starburst but still decent. 4 weeks - still getting the semi-tart strawberry flavor and a little bit of a waxy candy vibe. Okay, but not something I think I’d order.)
  • Beta - Pumpkin Pie 8% (SnV - wow this is actually really nice. A little weak, but I can taste the crust, spice, and sweet pumpkin. I’m looking forward to seeing how this one develops. 1 week - still a little weak, feels like it may have lost some flavor. 2 weeks - same. May need to up % or add some support. 3 weeks - same. 4 weeks - same. I’m a little bummed cuz it started off with such promise. I might buy this one, but I’ll have to play with it more.)
  • Beta - Rhubarb 8% (Snv - kind of generic sweet and sour fruit taste. Maybe a little bit of root? 1 week - same. Just kind of a generic tartness. 2 weeks - same. 3 weeks - same. 4 weeks - pretty much the same still. Sweet, tart, getting a hair more fruit almost like a berry flavor, maybe? If this were stronger, I’d buy it. As is, I can’t see any use for it.)
  • Beta - Sea Buckthorn 8% (SnV - Very tart, a little sour/bitter. Some sort of citrus note, perhaps. 1 week - same, weird flavor. Almost a metallic kind of taste. 2 weeks - Same. Sort of sour and tart. 3 weeks - still sour, slightly sweet, weird flavor is pretty much gone. 4 weeks - same as three. Still sweet and sour. Really kinda reminds me of the sauce. Has kind of a burning flavor, like an acidic sour. Definitely not one I’d buy. As a side note, I had to move this and the wasabi flavor bottles to a box away from everything else they smelled so much.)
  • Beta - Wasabi 8% (SnV - Oh holy mother of pearl. This is…horrible. Smells awful. Doesn’t have the sinus-burn I was hoping for. Tastes more like tinned wasabi peas sans horseradish. 1 week - wasabi peas for sure. Nutty, metallic. Not spicy. Still smells awful. 2 weeks - Still gross. More gross than last week, less gross than SnV. 4 weeks - couldn’t bring myself to potentially ruin my fresh wick this week. Suffice to say, this one is not for me. I don’t think even as a food flavor I could see myself using this. It goes in the same category as TPA black sesame and Cap Crispy Bacon…just no.)
7 Likes

Thank you so much for your feedback! Ha. Some of those in that box scared me too…

2 Likes

It was 3, right? I couldn’t remember for sure. :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for the opportunity to give feedback!

The only one that was a definite no was the wasabi. LoL I love the English Breakfast Tea. I can see the Lemon Tea being really good too if it were a little stronger. The initial flavor of the hickory smoke really surprised me. The sweet/smoky flavor was actually nice. I wish it had stayed. It’d be one that you’d have to add right before you’re ready to vape something, I think. The pumpkin pie has real potential. Please don’t give up on it! I have your apple pie and it is bang on so I know the pumpkin can be too! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

A Letter From Walt about PDO Flavors

Dear Real Flavors Customer,

As the summer kicks off here in the US, I’d like to take the opportunity to thank you, our loyal supporters, for your continued commitment to experiencing the difference with our powerful flavoring products and design solutions.

I’ve learned a lot from your feedback this year, and from the countless surveys and polls Real Flavors has conducted. I’ve learned that you are leaders in your industries. Your innovation is both groundbreaking and wave-making. Now it is time for Real Flavors to help even more.

Real Flavors is proud to be the first flavoring company to release a line of flavors extracted in to Propanediol (PDO). Our Propanediol is certified Kosher, Halal, GRAS, FEMA GRAS, and USP. It is certified 100% bio-based by the USDA BioPreferred® program.

Propanediol is a pure, naturally derived flavor carrier, extraction agent and bitterness supressor for food and beverages. A welcome alternative to petroleum-based ingredients, Propanediol has unique solubility properties, is effective at boosting preservatives, and provides humectancy in a variety of food products.

Why PDO?
Allergy Free: For people with allergies or are sensitive to PG substances!
Smoother Taste: No PG means no harsh or bitter taste!
Superior Flavor Carrier: Nothing carries a flavor better.
Cost Savings: Use less flavoring, plus shorter resting times!
All Natural: 100% Natural ingredients!
Earth Friendly: Environment-friendly manufacturing process!

Propanediol is currently approved for use in food and flavor applications in the U.S. It is approved for flavor applications in Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Peru, Australia, and New Zealand.

To explore more please visit https://www.realflavors.com/collections/pdo-flavors

I hope that our tools and solutions have improved the way you live. I also hope that our around-the-clock support team has impressed you with their knowledge and friendliness.

I look forward to hearing all your feedback.

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/VGRealFlavors/, and let us know how we’re doing.

Thank you and enjoy your summer.

Sincerely,

Walter R
Owner, Real Flavors

6 Likes

Hey Walt,

If you are located in Troy, MI – let me know… I can stop by on the way home from work and grab some samples from you… I only live 5 miles away, and I work in Troy as well

I’d love the opportunity to help these guys out with flavor combinations - or straight flavor testing. :+1:

Hey!

Our main office is in Troy… Well that is why I work (if you call it that).

Let me know if you are coming and I can have some samples. Normally we do not stock too much there.

1 Like

Tell ya what… I’ll stop by Friday afternoon and I’ll PM you my contact info as well. I am super stoked about the opportunity… I’ve been a real proponent getting my Service Desk guys off the analogs and into Vaping.

I’ve converted 12 so far, only 83 more to go… (at my last count), and I think this will help out tremendously.

1 Like

@Walt_RealFlavors I am so excited you are experimenting with the PDO in your flavorings. I can’t wait to hear about the results as the testing begins. I did see your post on the other thread about the strength increase. And thank you very much for being so transparent with us and sharing your information with us as it comes in, and allowing us to participate as much as we can. I am very interested in the PDO, hoping it will be the answer to those of us with PG sensitivities.

2 Likes

Guys, I’m going to create a new thread for the testing… let’s see if we can get some hardcore numbers and stats going for PDO flavoring.

@Walt_RealFlavors

Any new PDO flavorings on the horizon? At least ones you can speak of?

We are hoping to release a 2nd batch by the end of the month. There will be 20 flavors after the first part of July.

3 Likes

Just curious as well, since I’m waiting for some of the PDO flavors to replenish from your site, any time frame on that by chance? Lots of “Sold Out” notices… makes me a sad mixer.

Just quick note. We still have beta flavors coming. They are slowing down a bit as we try and work on PDO and VG at the same time.

As @dwdh586 stated lots of things are out of stock right now, due to a lot of companies rushing to get their liquids out by the August deadline, my normal retail only stock has been cleared right out.

The process to make a flavor is pretty short (2-4 days). It is the waiting for test results that takes FOREVER!!! (Up to 14 business days)

3 Likes

The first PDO flavors will be back in stock on July 5th. If not I am driving to the testing lab and throat punching them! (That is their promise date to have the testing back)

We are thinking about opening it up to pre-orders soon. The reason being… Wholesale customer bought most of them last time. Of the 128 1oz samples that were made (Yes we made a gallon… Pat yourself on you back if you did that math quick!) 110-120 were sold to vendors. The last ones were sold out in almost 24 hours once the retail site got them.

1 Like

@Walt_RealFlavors not sure you’ve read my PM’s I’ve sent you, but I’ve sent 2 in the last 3 weeks. Do me a solid, at least reply.

As I promised in the last one, I bought 3 of the PDO flavors you have and those came in today. However, I can’t do any testing just yet due to one ravenous head and chest cold. But the moment I have my taste back I will do the SNV and post my impressions here. Hope that happens at least before the weekend is over.

3 Likes

Hey @SthrnMixer I apologize very much for not replying. As a lot of people have noticed, I have not be on as much. The summer season for flavoring companies is CRAZY. We have all the minute people trying to do summer flavors, while others are getting their pumpkin spice ready for fall AND even the candy people are getting their Christmas orders in… I kid you not when I say… Some days I sleep here.

4 Likes

Thanks Walt. I didn’t want to say anything to you in the thread but I knew you check in here so thanks for the reply. I know firsthand those PM’s and posted message can pile up quickly when you’re not here 10 times a day like I am :slight_smile:

In better news, I’m feeling a lot better today and have actually started getting my sense of taste back, so I should be able to provide some SnV reviews before the weekend is over!

5 Likes

Good to hear you are getting back to normal, looking forward to what you have coming up… stay tuned for the cappuccino continuation here shortly. We increased our canine count by one today and she is a demanding little girl.

2 Likes

Let me provide my Shake n Vape review of three of @Walt_RealFlavors new products. I have the PDO versions of Cherry, Raspberry and Strawberry. All were tested on a Velocity RDA with dual Ti coils in temperature control set to 500F. All mixes were 60/40 VG/PG and 0 nicotine.

I had asked on IRC what would be a good starting % since these are expected to be much more concentrated. A lovely lady suggested 5%. I already had 2% in my mind, but thought she’s probably right. So I started at 3% and here’s what I found…

Strawberry. 3% was weak but there was an unmistakable strawberry note, one that I instantly wanted more of. I went straight to 5% which was much better. I won’t call the flavor intense, and could have easily bumped it up some more. However at 5% I would probably be satisfied with the intensity as a single flavor. The strawberry flavor comes across to me as a kind of mix between real strawberries and candy type, although real strawberries are more prevalent. The only sb I can compare this to is Medicine Flower, only better IMO. I want to play with this one some more to see how high I can go with it but will reserve that till this test has had time to cure.

Raspberry was my next and at 3% I had a similar impression as with the strawberry - unmistakably raspberry only faint. I went to 5% here as well, but the intensity was still lacking so I kicked it up to 7%. Intensity rose some, and this may well be a weaker flavor than the sb, but I chose not to increase anymore till I see how it steeps. Flavor is really good. It captures the brightness of raspberries that I love but didn’t ever achieve any of the characteristic tartness - at least not at 7%. I can almost bet steeping won’t bring that out but once it’s cured some I’ll see it upping the amount has the desired effect. Let me say that unless something amazing happens over the next 2 weeks, I can’t see myself using this even in a mix at 7%, but we’ll see. Right now I’m wondering what 10% would be like.

Cherry was my last because I didn’t want to kill my palate … cherry flavors have conditioned me to be wary. At 3% it was as if I had not added any flavors. But oddly enough 5% was like night and day. The cherry was there all flavorful and really good tasting cherry. No urinal cake here! Like the raspberry I feel this will need to be used at a higher % but will let it sit a bit before experimenting further. This one has me very excited and I’m seeing visions of Lifesavers Swirl Lollipops dancing in my head!

One thing I would like to mention is just how very clean all three of these flavors taste. Absolutely no chemical or artificial taste, nothing caustic or offputting whatsoever, and each is completely colorless - look like water in the bottles. I don’t think I was nearly as wowed by their concentration as I had hoped (they aren’t the 1% FA types at all) but I may be in for a surprise when they’ve steeped some. Then again…it is possible that I’m still suffering some taste and smell issues from having just gotten over the flu. Nevertheless I’m excited for this new line from RF and will be sharing more thoughts in a few days.

8 Likes

Thanks for the review SthrnMixer, I was wondering about this line, awesome details and excellent review…

1 Like