Code Red for Humanity

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:thinking:

2 Likes

@Gus6 Hey Gus, I got lucky and found a copy of False Alarm on one of the digital libraries I can access with my library ecard. I’m reading it now in my browser. So far what I’m getting from him is that he’s not a fatalist and believes that with sound solutions we can deal with forthcoming events. He dislikes the panic caused by politicians and the media, saying that it’s compounding the problem and diverting realistic, helpful actions away from the table. But I don’t want to get ahead of myself. Here’s one paragraph: (Oh wow, it won’t let me copy anything.) I’ll type it for you…

CLIMATE CHANGE IS REAL, it is caused predominantly by carbon emissions by human beings burning fossil fuels and we should attack it intelligently. But to do that we should stop exaggerating, arguing that it is now or never, and stop thinking that climate is the only thing that matters. Many climate campaigners go further than the science reports. They implicitly or even explicitly say that exaggeration is acceptable because the cause is so important. After a 2019 UN climate science report led to over-the-top claims by activists, one of the scientist authors warned against exaggeration. He wrote, “We risk turning off the public with extremist talk that is not carefully supported by the science.” He is right. But the impact of exaggerated climate claims goes far deeper.

Whew, I haven’t typed that much since school :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: . There’s so much more to this book and his anti-doomsday attitude. So far, it’s one of the refreshing things I’ve read on climate change. I hope you get a chance to check it out. I would look into the author and learn more about him. So far I find him intelligent and believable. But I have a long way to go! Thx for the find and share, Gus :+1:

4 Likes

Given enough time, the human race can and will surmount large problems. What is very interesting is the common held belief that we are at our apex. Throughout history, most people had and have thought that this is as good as it gets, we’re at the top and the only direction from here is down. Yet, history has shown us that it’s been a steady climb from the beginning. There may have been dips here and there, but it’s always been in one direction. When the Western Roman Empire finally sputtered out, the Eastern Roman Empire continued rising. When one part of the world sputters, another roars on. It’s the collective human experience that matters.

Just as someone from 1900 would have thought the idea of a mobile phone would have been pure fantasy, so it is for us. Our children, or grandchildren, will see things we can’t even imagine.

The world is aware now that we need to exercise more care for the planet and the political will is rising to meet the challenge. As noted in the above post, we’re not dying off in 12 years as the morons like to tell us. We have the time, the resources and hopefully the political will to address our problems. The way I see it, either one has the belief that we will overcome our problems as we always have or that we’re all fucked, that we are incapable of fixing our problems. Hence my above post referring to people who believe in the latter. Just go find the other lemmings and head for the cliff.

Just a final thought. Many of the proposals of addressing climate change will adversely effect developing countries. Look at the change the US and the West has made in the last 30 years in fighting pollution. We know that it’s the developing countries now that are pumping out the majority share of pollution. However, the solution is not to stop them from doing so by imposing draconian measures on them.

The route to take is the same that the US has taken which is to develop quickly. I had the great fortune to witness and participate in the building of a country. In 99 I arrived in the UAE and I left there last year. In those two decades the country transformed to a degree that had taken the US many decades to do. This is what we have to offer (the Americans and Europeans were hugely influential in the building of the UAE) the world. With the West’s knowledge, experience and resources we can accelerate the growth of developing countries. As for now, those of you familiar with Maslow’s Hierarchy should understand that you can’t get people in India to worry about pollution and climate change while they’re worrying every day about whether they’ll have access to a toilet, or enough food.

Here in the US we have the luxury of worrying about things other than housing, food and security. Many great minds have already told us that the best use of our resources right now is to bring the entire world’s standard of living up, not on these stupid and wasteful ideas some people are proposing. Until we do that, all that self-serving hand-wringing and virtuous whinging in the world isn’t going to do shit for the world.

7 Likes

As I can glean so far, this is one of Lomborg’s solutions.

He even went so far as to present the numbers on human, outdoor defecation. It has been improving.

He makes many good points and I look forward to the chapters offering his solutions. Meanwhile, I have to listen to the politicians work their climate change budgets into proposals. So far, it seems this book should be required reading for all of them!

5 Likes

I had a book that I read about half and then I moved. I just went looking for it and can’t find it. It’s by a Scandinavian and it’s about looking at the numbers of the world. One part I remember is he developed a new scale to measure poverty and wealth while changing the old nomenclature of 1st world, 2nd world, etc. I’m going nuts right now trying to remember his name. I also remember that his children work with him and they developed a new type of graph that is impressive. If I can find it, I’ll pass it on.

5 Likes

For proteins, stock up on beans and nuts.

5 Likes

You know it @robin !!!

4 Likes

Not sure why but some of our best scientists hail from that part of the world. I hope you can find it or think of his name.

3 Likes

Speaking of our planet I thought I’d mention that the Perseid Meteor Shower peaks tonight. Visibility is poor where I am but maybe some of you can benefit. It’s supposed to be major and the best times are midnight to dawn. They happen in spurts so you’ll need some patience or get lucky during a midnight bathroom break, lol.

4 Likes

Jews have won 22% of all Nobel Prizes for science yet they are only 0.002% of the world’s population. Meanwhile, the 225,000,000 (0.3%) Arabs and 1.4 billion Muslims (20%) have won 3 in science and all three of them did their work in the West. Just an fyi about who’s really smart.

3 Likes

Here we go. I just asked my family about this. My 16 year old read the entire book and my 13 year old read about half. My wife remembered the name, Factfulness by Hans Rosling.

Very well worth watching. The graphs are really great.

5 Likes

Yeah but, beans produce Methane.

4 Likes

That’s fantastic, Nat, thank you for making the effort. I should say thanks to your family, too. You can always count on the young ones to remember everything!

5 Likes

I guess I don’t have to remember that “Man Walks into a Bar Joke” about buying a Jewish brain, a Polish brain and an Irish brain. Nope, best i don’t :crazy_face:

5 Likes

One of the above articles posted by @dan32, I think, about C02 emissions greening the earth is discussed in this NASA article with further links to details. I was searching for what type of greening is happening. Here’s an excerpt:

While rising carbon dioxide concentrations in the air can be beneficial for plants, it is also the chief culprit of climate change. The gas, which traps heat in Earth’s atmosphere, has been increasing since the industrial age due to the burning of oil, gas, coal and wood for energy and is continuing to reach concentrations not seen in at least 500,000 years. The impacts of climate change include global warming, rising sea levels, melting glaciers and sea ice as well as more severe weather events.

The beneficial impacts of carbon dioxide on plants may also be limited, said co-author Dr. Philippe Ciais, associate director of the Laboratory of Climate and Environmental Sciences, Gif-suv-Yvette, France. “Studies have shown that plants acclimatize, or adjust, to rising carbon dioxide concentration and the fertilization effect diminishes over time.”

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth

3 Likes

Yea, you are right of course and I have no teeth but there are ways to soften nuts. Anyway, I should have said meat. I have lived without meat before. I went on an all-green diet. Meaning I didn’t cook a thing. I was on that diet for almost two years. It really was the best I ever felt. I didn’t need as much sleep either. Then I fell 23 feet onto a concrete slab and busted up some shit (not the concrete). The first week in the hospital was very difficult. I was HUNGRY to EFING HUNGRY. Can you believe they wouldn’t bring me raw broccoli or any raw vegetable for that matter. Finally, I tried the cooked food, which was very disgusting and I couldn’t keep it down. They thought something else was wrong with me because I couldn’t eat their nasty food and I’m not even sure you could call it that. Finally, I had to put my foot down and talk quite firmly to the doctor before he “got it”. I’m not bitter but my life changed for the worse after the accident and the stay at the hospital. The Hospital got me eating the “right way” by cooking my food again because I was gonna need that as a full-blown addict after having stayed for a month or so. BTW it doesn’t take that long when being pumped full of morphine, to become an addict. 3 days! That is it.

Crazy, I said all that, just to say I meant meat.

true

I see. I must have misunderstood what you were saying. BTW, I don’t think we are F#cked but as long as the almighty dollar reigns supreme there will be people willing to destroy the earth for profit.

good point

As far as pollution is concerned, our oceans are being destroyed by plastic and chemicals and the reafs are dying. You don’t think that is urgent? Anyway, you want politics to fix the mess that politics got us into? If “climate change” weren’t politicized we could get everybody on board instead of making it a “right” wing or “left” wing thing. We all know politicians are thieves and liars (generally speaking) and now we have to try and figure out what’s true and what’s not and then next year everything that was true is now a lie and vise versa.

We as humans need to do better for the planet. I mean, I agree, we can and will pull out of this. I’m not sure which proposals you are talking about because I don’t follow the politics of it. I do like to follow and support people that are out there on the front lines though and it’s the ocean I am most concerned with and they are cleaning it up at

@fidalgo_vapes if that link isn’t ok then I will remove it.

Plastic Pollution is a problem.

I don’t know man, it looks urgent to me. Though, I do agree that fear-mongering isn’t gonna solve any problems.
we need real solutions a people that are willing to do their part.

7 Likes

I should probably start

3 Likes

That looks like Indonesia, I’ve seen pictures. Wherever it is it’s disgusting but maybe that cat will find something decent to eat, lol.

3 Likes

Not a problem with me

4 Likes

I couldn’t agree MORE @Dan_the_Man, and with the giant trash islands growing, and the plastic breaking down into particles, it IS being absorbed, and eaten by ocean dwellers, and passed up the food chain, and that’s BEYOND the damage it is doing TO the ocean dwellers.

IMO the garbage islands (patches) might just be MORE of an issue…

3 Likes