Coil Building Wire Choices

For wattage/power mode the choices are Kanthal, Nichrome, and Stainless Steel. You’ll just have to try them to see which you prefer. For me the nichrome, and to a lesser extent the kanthal, leaves a metallic aftertaste. Stainless steel works better for my taste buds. Been using 430 grade lately, it has no nickel in the alloy.

1 Like

Thanks for getting this more or less back on topic.

What I’m trying to determine lately is the differences between the different wires and what I should get when I purchase all the supplies to start coil building. Mostly what I am seeing is Kanthal A1, SS316L, SS 430, Nichrome 80, Nickel Ni200, Titanium and Clapton wires. I’m wanting to just get some wire ready to go as I will save the twisting wires myself for a later date. Can anyone please explain the pros/cons on these wire types and your preferences or what I should stay away from? What I am wanting to do is wrap up some in a dual coil 0.25 ohm setup.

I’m on that same curve at the moment. Made my first framed staple coil last night and also made a fused claptons with all ti, all nicr and a mix of nicr and ka1.
Generally i use either ti or ss, ti being my preference for flavour, but i have to try all these coil build’s before i can say what i like best.
I understand with all the surface area within the coil all adds up, but everything I’ve built upto now is no better than 22g ti. In my humble opinion.
Research, research,research. I’m in the testing mode with these coils so will be able to update my findings soon. Got a lot more to build. :yum:

1 Like

Like Pattie said, it’s going to take some testing. There is a lot of information just a google search away, so no need to regurgitate it all here again. Boils down to personal preference and taste. Get some of each, 26 or 28g will get you down to .25ohm without too many wraps.

btw, clapton is not a material rather a style of coaxial twisted combo wire.

We want pictures Pattie :slight_smile: What gauges did you use on the all Ti FC’s? I did 26 cores with 32 wrap (what I had on hand) and there is just not enough resistance for more than a single coil setup.

I realize that but I mentioned it since it is one of the choices I have when it comes to buying a spool of wire. Also, I know and have googled wire choices but I figured that I would ask the people here to get their opinions. I apologize if you felt it too much “to regurgitate it all here again.” It was just a simple question as to where would be a good place to start and which wire might be a good starting point.

Everything I own has new coils and wicked, literally yesterday I finnished cleaning and re coiling and re wicking all i have. I made these wires so there ready for the next changs. Gives me a bit practice, so I haven’t built with these wires as of yet to see what they ohm out at. If there too low i can always do single coil configuration.

Thats the closest i can get to take a pic. :yum:

3 Likes

you wrapped all those claptons?

1 Like

Yes last night. They look ok?

2 Likes

they look VERY good! very tight wraps! very impressive, my brother!
what did you use? drill, swivel, Terk method?

and also: that top wire…is that a fused clapton with all Ti? as in 26g x2 of Ti and 32g wrap of Ti?

3 Likes

Don’t get your panties all in a wad. As I said; “Get some of each, 26 or 28g will get you down to .25ohm without too many wraps”.

And if you want to mention all wire available, one can also purchase spooled fused clapton, alien, and staple wire.

Perfect might be a better description.

2 Likes

Drill and swivel method bro, works a treat and yes the top coil wire is all ti. Going to try it in tc mode.
Ss fused claptons work fine in tc mode, quite impressed with those, i have them in my griffin on the ipv5 (304ss)
Thanks for the compliment brother. Appreciate.

3 Likes

Thank you. Wouldn’t of been possible without the help of the community. :yum:[quote=“Johan, post:32, topic:58918, full:true”]
Perfect might be a better description.
[/quote]

1 Like

that Ti fused clapton…you gonna do contact coils or spaced coils? i’m curious how that works for you…keep us informed, if you dont mind.
your SS fused claptons that you are running now…contact or spaced coils?
and how do you feel about 304? have you tried the others? like 316,316l, 317l and 430.
i bought 304 but it was so very dirty i couldnt get myself to try it

Spaced. Always spaced. I find it gives better flavour over contact coil’s. And i will keep you posted on the ti (fc), no problem.
Ss I’ve used all except 430. The 304 ss fused claptons I’m using now are spaced aswell and in tc mode work great. No dry hits. Flavour is there but still searching.
The 304 that i have seems very clean, but i clean all wires that i use as a matter of course anyway. Good practice to do so.
I’ve used 316,316L and 317L. Haven’t used317L as a fused clapton as yet, but will eventually.

3 Likes

Here is a handy little item that not only keeps your wire from unspooling, but works really good for claptoning. When you get it tensioned just right it will sit there under the core(s) and lay the wraps on hands free.

2 Likes

i always clean my wire, but DAMN my 304 is super dirty…
if you say its good, then i will try it next. i have a 100ft of 22g and 100ft of 24g.
i will just ultrasound it, wipe it, disinfect it, baptise it, perform an exorcism and anything else i can think of.
430 is really nice, super clean and super clean tasting, but its really hard and really hard to pull apart for spaced coils.

1 Like

Might grab hold of some 20g bc i want to try the polished coils and I haven’t tried the 430ss as of yet.
Get the 304 cleaned up and give it a try, you won’t be sorry. I get a nice CLEAN vape from it. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

thats what i wanna hear, because thats all i want: CLEAN taste.
thanks, brother…this is what we are all about…sharing, loving and caring

2 Likes