DIY Hand Sanitizer/Disinfectant: A little extra for these virus-crazed times

Oh I know what you mean, your hands definitely feel better with it. I meant that the 0.5% VG won’t dilute the 50% alcohol much.

6 Likes

Ah, of course - yes :smiley:

6 Likes

Ya I really can feel my hands getting nice and softly, It’s amazing 15ml in 1000ml can be that effective :scream:

4 Likes

I have alcohol pads so I can do blood sugar checks so that is at least a positive right?

3 Likes

Not a dumb question at all!! Unfortunately, cornstarch would leave a powdery residue and gelatin would leave a sticky film…

But thank you for the suggestions!

I wasn’t trying to diss- it, I just was wondering if I could thicken it a bit more so it was a little less watery and at least a little more gel-like bit not completely, you know? It’s great to have an alternative and the recipe is appreciated.

3 Likes

If you want to turn it to a gel you can use products called Sepimax, Carbopol, Carbomer they are thickening polymers that they use in gel like skin creams. It is pretty expensive but you do not need much.

8 Likes

FIY: You can buy cheap carburetor fluid - that is usually 99.7% isopropyl alcohol (at least in Denmark) :slight_smile:
I just bought a batch to do a 70% mix with just distilled water for disinfecting surfaces and handles.

4 Likes

Are you talking Starter Fluid or Carb Cleaner like Gumout?

2 Likes

You’d have to look at the ingredients - it has to be around 99% isopropyl alcohol - which is also sold as just rubbing alcohol in the US, I think! Obviously you can’t use the aerosol cans :smiley:
EDIT: Ingredients might say: propan-2-ol which is the correct one!

3 Likes

I just tried making a tiny batch with 99% pure aloe gel - it didn’t work out very well. It looks like the gel lumps together?! Perhaps if one went from 80% target alcohol to like 75% or even 70% it would maybe be better :stuck_out_tongue:
The gel I got (which was pricy) wasn’t totally clear as other aloe gels I’ve had - it was more unclear/milky.

2 Likes

If it’s like pure-pure … As in straight from the plant…? That’s make sense. True aloe vera, straight from the plant is kind of chunky and stringy. Maybe it’s not blended/treated… I dunno. That’s very strange…

Mine turned out thin, watery, but pretty homogeneous…

3 Likes

Yeah, the previous gel I had was clearly treated in some way, it was totally clear but very thick. This does seem more like just the raw plant. Both were 99% pure. I should have checked the label better, I guess :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But since it’s still watery for you, I’m thinking why bother? It could work, if I as I said, you lowered the final alcohol % - dunno :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good to hear, i order 1 liter 99,5% Aloe gel, so I have to make some tiny test I can see :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Let us know - I can already tell you now, if it isn’t completely clear, the result will be weird :rofl:

2 Likes

They say it’s pure and clean Aloe, so we will see. i will update u guys :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:
Think I will get it in around 2 days, then I’m ready for DIY :rofl:

3 Likes

The stuff I used was clear with a blue tint to it. It turned out cloudy… :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Made this today found a bottle of 70% alcohol, used Sandalwood and Vanilla oils as well to make it smell good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ooh! Nice scent choice!

3 Likes

I had them for my candle warmers :slight_smile: I like making scented candle wax LOL

3 Likes

I used to make custom candles. It’s time consuming but kind of fun.

3 Likes