DIY Hand Sanitizer?

Made myself look. Glycerin is Glycerol. More accurately our VG is mostly Glycerol (based on it’s purity rating which is usually known by Vapers). Thanx Wikipedude

4 Likes

OK first 240ml test worked OK. I added Aloe (bottled) instead of topping off with sterile Distilled Water hoping it might thicken a bit. While looking for specific gravitys, I read details about Hydrogen Peroxide. The Aloe had citric acid as a preservative and I’m not sure what got cloudy and separated, but eyeballing volume-wise (the visible layer settles over time) the Aloe is an easy guess. Perhaps was denatured by the concentrated (91%) alcohol, or reacted with the hydrogen peroxide (?) Also could be from adding oil.

I had some Lavender Orange essential oil which makes it so awesome. It feels (soft hands!) and smells great after the alcohol evaporates. Speaking of alcohol smell, I’m pretty sure there is quite a bit of evaporation in your old bottle of Purell, because stuff I have used from various places (and my own ancient bottle from my car console) doesn’t smell as strong as my own fresh batch …which is carefully calculated to 75% v/v. Maybe don’t rely on it soo much (label states to never store over 110 degrees F like in your car?), or add a little alcohol yourself (for insurance) …of course we’re talking 190 proof Everclear or 91% Isopropyl.

So next question. What are they adding to hand sanitizers to make that pudding-ey gel? I would think it might help it stay in place more effectively, but at the same time, what’s that junk doing drying on your hands? My watery stuff definitively does the job, but you just can’t make a little controllable mountain of it in your palm, so application is a bit “splashy”. I can read the ingredients on the back of my Purell, but it’s not helpful in terms of stuff I can procure (looks like some vitamin E?). Maybe I should not care …just so curious (DIY-itis~!) I mean I did make a half-pint for like 39 cents.

Gel ingredient? Anything I can find in my kitchen? When warmer weather hits I’ll be able to get some Suntan product type aloe gel, but I don’t think it’d work as an about 10% add to gel up a whole batch :thinking:

5 Likes

Just verbal diarrheation. Maybe consider Pectin, or Gelatin (Hydrolyzed Bovine Collagen). Trendy. :clown_face:

Gelatin does not require sugar and can be used to thicken savory as well as sweet dishes. Unlike pectin, which often requires heat to thicken, items made with gelatin set in cool temperatures and need to be kept refrigerated to maintain the gel.

Dunno, but hydrogen peroxide along with an alcohol might really rip-into those groovy peptide chains ?

Chicken (or fish) sourced Hydrolyzed Collagens might be more attractive to righteous beef-abstainers.

SARS CoV-2 binds to ACE2 receptors from mouth to guts. A tasty treat for “internal cleansing” ? … :clown_face:

3 Likes

Thanks, I can easily procure pectin in the “canning” section of the store. I might peruse the MSDS for things like Hawaiian Tropic Aloe Gel and see what’s what. Thanks Doc! I was a Biology Major so my Organic Chemistry knob goes to about a 5. Much appreciated, I am familiar with your prior contributions at this level on ELR I mean I am familiar with Agar and other technical gels. The Purell ingredients look more soap-like and an Acrylate …that’s not the kind of Chem-tinkering this droid is looking for. Obviously is has to be skin friendly and leave minimum residue …which also doesn’t harbor/feed remaining or future critters. Hmm Pectin is at least vegetable-based (citrus/fruit peels)

3 Likes

However, the linked web-page notes that it requires addition of sugar(s) and heating to set. I once used some Pectin to try to make a “timed release” formula for meds. It has a super-high molecular weight - whereas (hydrolyzed) collagen proteins result in much lower mol. weight peptides (~5 or less aminos).

4 Likes
5 Likes

The ingredient list on my “Purell Advanced” list a couple items that fall in that category. Sounds like something used in the Health and Beauty DIY industry …should be easy to get. I’m too lazy to type out all those ingredients when you guys have already googled their MSDS :wink:

5 Likes

O.M.G. We just cured Covid-19! Everclear Jello Shots! :exploding_head: :smirk:

5 Likes

WARNING - SATIRE ONLY

(Some) people drink Hydrogen Peroxide. Sub Everclear for the Isopropyl alcohol and Party Hardy ! :clown_face:

Thing is, some studies report ~50% have gastro symptoms (diarrhea). The Glycerol would be messy

4 Likes

Hey!?! I follered yur advice. My hard drive died so I took the cover off’n it and sprayed the WD-40 on thar like u sayd, and then carefully reassambled mah PC. I turned it on and …my house burned down! Yer DUMB! That was bad advice! Oh wait, did I skip a step? Please advise
TIA

4 Likes

Sorry, should have mentioned it only works on Macs. Fraid the Apple stores closed-up (like chickens). Try 3D-printing up a new set of lungs - and wash them with our bodacious new hand-sanitizer nightly.

4 Likes

I was wondering about that. Do people clean their bottles? From what I’ve seen, they don’t.

5 Likes

Cant say, i’ve not seen enough people to notice - but I’ll look next time I’m in town :wink:

3 Likes

If you want this gel like consitency you need sodium polyacrylate powder. Just google for slush powder, water solidifier, super absorbent polymer powder. It’s a lot of fun just to play with so get a bit more.

7 Likes

Not sure that will gel in such a high alcohol % - but it’s worth a try, so I will :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Xanthan gum may do the job as well. It came up when I did a search on thickeners.

3 Likes

If the alcohole doesn’t break the powder down somehow it should be working since it is a physical mechanism, not a chemical. It’s just like a sponge.

3 Likes

my secondary goal would be to minimize any residue on your dried hands. That requires some testing. Cheap and easy also a goal

4 Likes

I doubt that the commercial hand sanitizers don’t leave anything behind. Some use Aloe or VG which probably gets absorbed by the skin. Would be interesting to let some dry on a clean bit of glass or something. The polymer powder shouldn’t leave a very noticable residue on your hands. But I’ll find out, I think my brother in law still has some powder at home or I’ll order some.

4 Likes

Yeah they can also have some embittering agents in there so kids don’t eat it (and hobos don’t drink it :wink: ) I mean people sanitize their hands and then eat food, so if it’s tasteless that’s a bonus. Ever tasted your hands after Purell? haha sorry weird question [cough] I meant “accidentally” :smirk:

6 Likes