Does anyone use Single battery Mods?

@worm1 My mistake… Probably browsing a vendor site which had 1… and it that stuck in my noggin. duh :crazy_face:

4 Likes

It does feel like market research for future development

@Vaptio_official, you haven’t interacted here in any way. If you want to know what we’d like to see in a new single battery device, or a touchscreen, you can just ask! Open a dialogue and you’ll get far better results.

3 Likes

Have been researching - and just ordered - an Eleaf Pico 25 mod. From what information I could find (forums, reviews, etc), the TC on that model (as well as on the SMOK RHA85) is pretty much a joke (in terms of useful functionality). TC seems like a “marketing bandwagon” where (at least at the time when those models were initially designed/released as products) its value as a “selling point” far eclipsed an intention to implement TC functionality with much in the way of truly meaningful operational integrity ?

You seem to be up on the technological issues as much as anybody here. What is your own impression of the Pico 25 TC, SuperFrog, and do you like to use it in that mode ? If so, any thoughts about the subject ? I use SS 316L - so that is the particular type of application that (most) interests me in terms of performance.

The Arctic Fox stuff looks interesting (and while unclear, may be usable using my ancient WinXP OS) - but I read a post by a seemingly knowledgeable chap who reports that (in the case of the SMOK RHA85), the AF firmware (for that model) does not do much that represents significant improvements. As well, the possibility of “bricking” my Eleaf Pico 25 mod is not appealing. Any thoughts about Arctic Fox fixes relating to TC ?

My wound single-coil resistance runs around ~1.8 Ohms. I see that both of the above described models list a maximum of 1.5 Ohms coil resistance (when using TC mode) in their specs. What kind of behavior and resulting performance limitations might one expect if/when using 1.5 Ohm (or perhaps a tad higher) coils ?

2 Likes

I just got in a envii baby ness and pretty happy with it, may buy a couple more since it was only 27.00 + 7.00 ship. Next up is probably the cold steel 120, comfort of a SL but no hated joystick.

3 Likes

TC on Pico 25 works fine for me within reason. I do find that setting the power limit on the TC mode close to where you would have it in power mode helps a lot or there will be overshoot.
As I use simple coils, in Ss316 and pretty much always the same tank, I am happy with it.

Been curious about the arctic fox thing, but it looks like the device updater is a Windows application, and I do not have a windows install handy. Also as it is good enough for me, I have little incentive to potentially break something that work.

As you have bought the mod already, try it with your coil style, which seem pretty conservative. I tend to stay slightly lower in resistance for my coils.

2 Likes

SuperFrog, thank you kindly for your thoughts !

Have just finished watching PBusardo’s YouTub review of the Pico (75W) predecessor - including some nice oscilloscope views. A lot better than I was fearing, it seems, and the TC functionality appears to be accomplished in ways preferable to SMOK RHA85. Additionally, it appears that the Pico 25 has a newer chip-set relative to the Pico (75W) - which I presume likely is no worse and may perhaps perform better ?

The bit about exceeding 1.5 Ohm coil resistance when using TC was completely ignored in review. PB was using a 1.86 Ohm coil in one instance, without even a mention of Eleaf specified 1.5 Ohm resistance limit.

Updated after some hands-on experimentation:

Well, (on this model, anyway), if measured coil resistance exceeds 1.50 Ohms (1.51 Ohms just won’t cut it), the Pico 25 will automatically switch back to Wattage adjustment mode (only). I’ll need to rewind below 1.5 Ohms in all conditions to suss-out TC functionality.

With my NET-flavored juice with (base) Nicotine concentration of ~14 mg/ml, my wattage needed is quite low (7-9 Watts) - so not only should there not exist voltage compliance (of the output drive circuitry) limitations, am also hoping that this will leave leeway for experimenting with setting Temp limits in conjunction with various Wattage values. The implemented servo-system will hopefully be interesting functionality to explore !

(Possibly) “bricking” a mod by ambitious Arctic Fox FW flashes is not an attractive possibility. Thankfully, it looks like the stock FW may be workable without a pressing need to “live dangerously” (in my old age) … :thinking:

From this ECF post (and the helpful embedded videos, although I cannot view the 1st one due to my browser codecs), it seems that the TCR setting for SS 316L on the Pico (75W) that works best was ~79 (rather than 91-92), as shown by the thermocouple temp tests in this video. What (SS) TCR do you find yourself using ?

A have a few Sigelei 30W Minis (solid, and they were very inexpensive) as my main out-and-about mods (but without TC), so this Pico 25 will hopefully add some fun in my routine when at home, and I am able to pay more attention to details and subtleties in operation and resultant flavor quality with my Tobeco Kayfun 5 clone RTAs used for all but tasting (with RDAs). Stocking-up on all things before the coming “Nuclear Winter of Nicotine Prohibition” (sales + 60% taxes soon, bean-counters galore, and possible sales bans in Seattle).

2 Likes

I just use the standard SS mode, temperature might not be the actual temperature, but it does limit to something. I suspect it runs higher than what I set it to. I am often set at 190-210C, and I suspect it runs consistently but higher. Bit I have not measured.

For low power coils, make sure to set the max power in TC accordingly. Or you may well have a little mushroom cloud coming out of the drip tip, default is 40W, which is about right for the Ello tank it sometimes comes with.

3 Likes

I was always on a dual battery squonker, Ive now moved to a single battery tube mod, i still use 2 batteries a day in either case so Im not worried hahaha

2 Likes

Baby ness for 34 shipped…where? Always a sucker for single 21700 mods and trust your opinion.

2 Likes

https://vapezone.com/product/venvii-baby-ness-single/

3 Likes

I have a selection of single 18650 mods - antique and modern.
A Kanger Topbox which is mint. A seriously solid piece of metal, this. Used with an Avocado 24 bottom air intake rtda which gives really good flavour. The mod came with a top filling tank which leaked hopelessly. Atty is stuck on mod and the glass would break (again) if I tried to get it off.

Then there is the Avocado 24 top air intake which is stuck fast to a Joyetech Evic VTC Mini. Thing about that mod the OLED display flickered and died about 2 years ago. So I have no idea what wattage it is at or have any info at all but it works fine still.

Coming up to date I am breaking in a Geekvape Aegis solo powering EHPRO True mtl rta. It is really comfortable to hold - and the tank just about beats the Avocados for flavour. This would be a perfect combo if the tank did not leak - but sometimes it does.

3 Likes

Yo también uso mods de una sóla batería, un Istick Pico y un Wismec Sinuous p80.
Últimamente estoy vapeando mtl y me dura mucho la batería.

3 Likes

Welcome pince.

4 Likes

Muchas gracias por la bienvenida

4 Likes

Just a few of the single batt mods I use.

7 Likes

Just a few more.

6 Likes

Dotmod AIO is the first device I’ve used in years that was single battery and because of nic salts, I don’t vape it nearly enough to complain about the battery life this time it lasts me all day.

3 Likes

My wife’s using single battery (18650/21700) URUS by Hugo Vapor. Lightweight and handy I must say :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I killed my treebox yesterday… after 5 yrs running, there won’t be another.
The company no longer makes them. I have a hunt on the web for another one.
It was a sweet box, single battery mod…

I miss it too much. A dear friend of mine gave it to me years ago, and I tried to take very good care of it.
RIP…

3 Likes

Condolences. Might try a wtb on vu.

3 Likes