Doug Has Questions

@Caped_Conspirathist needs help with his flavor stash… if anyone has the time… can you double check his flavors are spelled and labeled correctly?

This is why he is not pulling up the info on the flavors he has :slight_smile:

Thanks!

4 Likes

@Caped_Conspirathist

1 Like

From what I know… he has concord grape capella… but he has the wrong one picked out.
He has a lot of the standards he wants to mix up and use up… so he can move on to other flavor companies. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, it sure seems like @Caped_Conspirathist is really getting himself all jammed up over nothing here. But, maybe I’m missing something he’s trying to do.

I realize he JUST got his scale, great. I tried to warn him in numerous other threads, to just keep it simple. I know he’s an engineer, but some of the stuff he was talking about was just making it waay too hard.

If he’s just trying to mix up a single flavor with a scale, this shouldn’t be hard, and we should encourage him to just get it on. No BS, no complicated BS or methods, just simple, simple.

Even if he can’t find the flavor, that should not stop him. Add it, use a comperable flavor, whatever it takes, just to get him cooking here. We don’t need doug making spreadsheets, calculations, etc., etc.

I get that he loves to dive down into the weeds, aka Engineer Style, but I sense his frustration already. Let’s help him over this hurdle.

6 Likes

I recon TZ would help he helped me so much

2 Likes

His frustration?!? Kidding.

Fortunately the recipe calculator is not life or death. If something gets wanked, abandon and try again. He needs to start using it; many of these questions, concerns, and confusions will evaporate when he actually sits in front of it and starts pressing keys.

6 Likes

Issue is he is not connecting the flavors he has to the right flavor so he is not seeing all of the recipes and what he can make correctly… he is saying for example…

the concord grape by Capella… has zero recipes…

here is his stash:

https://e-liquid-recipes.com/publicstash/213409

the right spelling… it has over 1200 recipes…

@TorturedZen or @Sprkslfly… if you can help him correct his stash… it would really help.

I wish I could… I lack the time. It would help him make some mixes and use up the flavors he spent his $ on… things that could be tasty in the right groupings… :slight_smile:

@Caped_Conspirathist … this one is for you! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Caped_Conspirathist

3 Likes

with the right spelling and counts for recipes, go with the one with the most numbers out to the side…

Here is the link for Cap’s Green apple…
You will see all kinds of spellings… go with the one with the most… chances of it being spelled correct are 99.9%… and it will have a ton of green apple recipes for Cap…

https://e-liquid-recipes.com/flavors?q=Green+apple+Cap

and so on… I won’t run down your list and correct yours… but you can do it in no time. :slight_smile:

not directing this to you @SessionDrummer… but for Doug to understand what it is he needs to get done… :slight_smile:

1 Like

We need to get him to check for the syntax of the flavors, and sorting so he’ll know what’s what, not just picking the first in the list.

3 Likes

Exactly… and I know how hard it is when one is new. :slight_smile:

Thanks Sd… :wink:

3 Likes

I have to make sure he’s not still contemplating this ^^^

3 Likes

I think he is over thinking everything.

If he would try:

Measured out on his new scale:

1 drop in 10ml
new bottle
2 drop in 10ml
new bottle
3 drop in 10ml
new bottle
4 drop in 10ml
new bottle etc,

and find where he alone can taste said flavor… and mark that spot…

then continue on till he has it where he loves the flavor…

He would come off a lot better.

the main key is knowing how many “drops” from the bottle that will make 1ml.
not hard to count to 100, and very rare will it take more than 50 drops to reach the 1ml mark…

then he could use the drop input box, and his numbers [on the elr calculator] will match what his handy dandy scale says… and will be able to see the percentage amounts to raise and lower the ml/g amounts…

Overthinking is the biggest part… the best tool one has is that tongue in the mouth :wink:

If you dont want to put the work in… look at other folks recipes… but then you are mixing according to their tastes and it might not turn out like you might could be enjoying… :slight_smile:

again… this works for any flavor manufacture… it does not take long, and super simple

2 Likes

I have an excel spreadsheet that I can put the specified gravity in. all You do is multiply the amount your using as base (say 10ml base = 12.2g) by .045 (4.5%) then subtract 10. You’ll get a negative #. multiply it by -1.

say the 10ml of base weights 12.2g.
12.2*.045= - 11.651.(Just take the - off.)

specific gravity is 1.058. 1.058*11.651= 12.3267.

I have a syringe that’s very accurate for 1ml to measure the weight of the base.

once I have the weight of the base, I can add exactly .1ml easily and try it. Then empty my vape tank into the bottle, put it on the scale and bring it back up to the 12.3267%

I don’t have to level the base off but I did. my spreadsheet will reduce the %age of the mix when I add more base. That, or I can lower the %age and the spreadsheet will tell me how much more base to add to get to that %age.

I found a blackberry, concord grape, and grape recipe. It called for .8ml of blackberry and concord grape. the Regular grape it wanted .2 ml. I decided to cut the grape out and use the first two flavors. I put about 2ml of base in the recipe. that brought the %age down and the ml too.

It was nice to see all that in action.The 2 .8ml made it taste like chemical. by adding 2ml it corrected the flavor.I need to tweak the spreadsheet a little but overall it works fabulously. When it’s done, I’ll share it if anyone wants it.This way I can mix an online recipe and if it tastes like chemicals, I can lower the %age of what was actually used. finally, I just type in the overage in one column, in the next one I type the formula and the starting ml I wanted (10ml) and it will automatically adjust the %age of each down to fit the 10ml of base I started with.

yes. the scale works fantastically! so will the spreadsheet when I’m done. :grin: :grin: :grin:

everyone was right about the scale. But the spreadsheet helps too.

(everyone’s gonna bounce when they read this. NEGATIVE FEEDBACK!!! INCOMING!!!)…

3 Likes

086e7af2dd1b0f7bd653415db2d5f14f

No Doug just use the calculator provided

https://e-liquid-recipes.com/create

12 Likes

Just answer one question, please… Why won’t you even acknowledge the advice given to you time and again about this? You know, like:

If you are not going to use the calculator, at least tell us that and tell us why, if possible. It seems everyone knows the calculator will do the job for you, except you, even though everyone who has replied has told you the same thing @woftam just did. What gives, bro?

9 Likes

I used a recipe last night. followed it without adding the last flavor and I’m glad I did. Boy did I put way to much flavoring in. So now I have to figure out how add more base, slowly and keep track of the flavor %'s so I actually have a recipe.

I can’t figure out how to do that on the site’s calculator. I’ve thrown 600ml in juice away already. I probably have another 600 more to pitch too. I was able to save the Concord grape\blackberry I made last night (and record the specific gravity for the blackberry for future reference. Just 'till I get rid of the stuff to switch to something easier. some of these flavors work at different %ages).

How do I add more base to the stuff I’ve used to much flavor it on the website? I’ve found that the more base I add into the mix as I try to turn the % back, I have to account for the new amount of base I’m putting in. Even @anon84779643 jumped on me about not using the site and not to overthink it (if she’s telling me I’m messing up… then I know I’m into royalty areas of screwing ups).

You guys are FAR BETTER at this than me. I have a learning curve from hell to go through. I’m still learning. @woftam has done an excellent job at his calculator. I think they even make a mobile app based off of his?

I’m not looking to beat him. I can’t figure out how to add more base precisely when I put to much flavor in and it’s really driving me NUTS! (and costing me). If there’s a way for me to reverse the %age direction of the initial mix by adding more base so that it adjusts each flavor’s %, ( but it adds weight, and ml to use, I need to be shown how to do that on the site’s calculator and fast!

Face it. You’re better, smarter, and know a lot more about what you’re doing with this stuff than me (I don’t expect to get as smart as all of you. it’s easy for you. If I get that good then I’ll be impressed. I’m trying to make up for my lack of stupidity).

Don’t worry, I’m still going to pester you all like mad. I already did with @anon84779643. So bad she’s beginning (like choke the crap out of me beginning) to frustrated with all the questions. @woftam, admit it… I need A LOT of help!

@woftam, how does your calculator deal with someone who puts to much flavor in the mix (like I always do… always…)? I wind up flip flopping from one extreme to the next. Does it show the %age I’m dialing back? I’m making mistakes (because as I add more base, I have to account for that). If it does, SHOW ME HOW PLEASE!!! I’M DESPERATE!!!
How do you add more nicotine to make up for the flavors you’re putting in? I’ve had to start at roughly .5 mg’s more to keep it roughly about the same strength I want to stay at (yet something else I need to adjust). 20% of a 60ml mix can add 12 ml to the mix. I can’t keep everything balanced (12ml adds a lot to make up for).

So, simple answer? I’M TO DAMN DUMB FOR IT YET! For you all, it works fantastic. For me, IT’S LIKE BEING IN CHEM LAB AGAIN! I HAD TO TAKE IT 3 TIMES IN ORDER TO GET A C+!!! This is an art to you. It’s a f@cking nightmare to me… Ugh…

I’m simply reverting back to what I understand so maybe I can make recipes that work for me (because posting them would be a nightmare for anyone else) If, when I’m done and you want the spreadsheet, that’s fine. You won’t need it. Why would you? It’s only to make up for me screwing up.

@woftam I’m sorry but this isn’t easy for me. I’m not embarrassed to admit it either. My shortcomings are bad enough that I may just give up. I’ve spent A LOT of money on this. I can’t keep throwing stuff away. I have another $30 worth of tools arriving this afternoon. I’ve probably spent 1k (USD) on this. All this stuff to make up for my weaknesses and I’ve made 6, 40 ml bottles that I can barely use.

I hope that makes sense? Spending 6 hrs of my time (the scale shortened it by 2) only to trash it??? If I can’t figure it out soon, I’m going to toss the consumables and quit (and having to quit pisses me off).

2 Likes

Before I try to understand the rest of that, I need to ask…

How are you maturing the mix? Do you have a high shear mixer and do you heat to 60C (adding nic after it cools), or are you simply shaking it up and vaping it? Because unless the mix has a chance to mature, you have no good idea of what it is going to taste like. If you are just adding stuff, shaking, and instantly vaping, then you aren’t getting the correct profile. And making adjustments to an immature juice will never work.

5 Likes

@Caped_Conspirathist I was afraid this was going to happen, and tried to advise you ahead of time. I will have to post more when home, but I could tell this was going to happen. I kept telling you to NOT make things harder than they needed to be. Warned you to not get all caught up in hyper accurate mixing, spreadsheet, calculations, etc. You replied you were an engineer, and liked it. Time moved on. I feel really bad you’re having such a hard time, but I could have predicted it.

We’re here to help, but you have to meet us half way. If we advise, and you choose a different path, then it will be more complicated.

Changing over to scale mixing should have made everything faster, easier, quicker, and reading your posts, I’m even confused as to what in the hell you’re actually having issues with, and we need to FOCUS you on ONE thing at a time.

One question, one answer, and we move on, because rapid firing questions, blurring questions together, and/or (as mentioned above), not responding to help already given, is just really going to take something utterly simple, and make it impossible.

I’ll post when home.

3 Likes

@anon70102222, I’ve made it so that it’s very light tasting and I whip it for 2-3 minutes with the little blender everyone suggested. In 3 days, it’s gotten so strong, I have to add another ml (or 2) to get the flavor back. I’m only using the fruity flavors. The blackberry\grape has only mellowed today. It hasn’t gotten stronger. I’ve done those that say, “shake and vapes” but only 1-2.

The recipes I make though are so strong that if I had followed the recipe last night, It would have tasted so chemical I would be adding base (possible 5-7mg) just to bring the flavor to a point where I could taste it. @anon84779643 tells me to go slow. I do. .5% at a time. That’s .005mg. it’s why I got the 1000’s scale.

I’ve screwed it up with 1 drop. from barely tasting it to total chemical taste (depending on the flavor). I need to create a profile in a spreadsheet to create my recipes that meet me (@anon84779643 says I have to adjust it for my tastes).

I won’t have any recipes to use if I don’t. It could have to do with all the medication I’m on? It could have to do with a lot of things. All I know is I want to do this. Some of the ones that have been successes get a little stronger after 2-3 weeks but that just makes them better. I just have to hit that fine line and let it sit.

I’m on a lot of medication for my Parkinson’s, high blood pressure, and cholesterol. The store bought stuff tastes way to strong to me. It’s why I started this. I figured I could make flavors I liked that didn’t taste so overwhelmingly strong I didn’t like it. I’m using insulin needles and the next step is to start thinning it with alcohol to get smaller drops.

2 Likes