Doug Has Questions

First off, 3 days is also not enough time to mature a mix if you are using only Father Time. 2 weeks minimum, usually longer. Even so-called “Shake and Vapes” may be decent enough to vape quickly, but they too will change over time or with mechanical methods. So you need to give them more time.

That’s great. Hope it works out. But if you are using someone else’s recipe, and it doesn’t work for you, then you need to modify it to suit you. Only you know your palate. Some as-is recipes work great sometimes, but often everyone who DIY’s modifies a ‘stock’ recipe to suit their own palate. And that’s half the point of DIY.

Either be patient or get a high shear mixer. Otherwise you won’t find peace and harmony.

2 Likes

@anon70102222, a high shear blender? you mean like a house blender? I’d just like to start recording recipes I like and know how to monitor their profile as they age. I have some sitting in the cabinet that’s been there for weeks but I got mix on the paper and can’t read it. I put plastic wrap over my keyboard so it stays safe.

I try to start 2-3% lower than the recipe. on all of them. Then move up at .5% until I can barely taste it. After that, it takes .5% usually to hit the light tasting flavor. Then it goes into the cabinet. Some get stronger, some don’t. It’s those that get stronger I wind up having to deal with.

2 Likes

That method won’t work. You can’t immediately adjust your recipes with any success. This is not new news in the DIY mixing world, and not the first time someone told you that specifically either. Also, making the same % adjustment for all the flavors in the recipe will not mean the flavors will all change the same way. Some flavors change with just a single extra drop, and some need entire percentage points to make a noticeable change. So changing them all uniformly is only making things worse.

No I don’t (I never said blender anyway), and please just ignore that for now. You are using time to mature your mixes, but you are not using enough time.

Just, this:

3 Likes

@anon70102222 ok, so they get stronger, then weaker? I’m probably not letting them sit long enough. I’m trying to figure out what to expect. I’m sticking with the fruit flavors only. I’ve seen from the forum those others are hard to work with. Everyone thinks I’m making it hard. Some of the store bought mixes taste like chemical messes to me.

No one else has issues with them. One week I’ll think their bland, the next chemical, then it’s a toss up after that. Those are the ones I was paying $20 for. That’s $20 for a 120ml bottle. I thought making my own would work. I could control it then. @anon84779643, the minute I start tasting it, I put it down. That’s as far as I can go. I can already see I’m upsetting you. I’m sorry.

I just figured when the store bought stuff I get tastes screwed up (badly) then I’m going to have to monitor this better. I could be wrong. I also did the syringe style.
Same issue. I guess it’s why I stopped answering posts. I was giving up.

I frustrate the hell out of people at times. I don’t mention I did it that way first. I hate saying, “didn’t work” all the time. I have no clue where to get the flavor right so when it sits, it’s better. I will frustrate people. Always have, always will.

Sorry @anon70102222. It’s not you, it’s “Doug” lol

2 Likes

It is not linear like that. It is not even predictable across recipe variants. Flavors all react differently throughout the maturation process. I’m not going further than to say that.

There’s no ‘probably’ about it, Mr. Pants. You’re absolutely not letting them sit long enough.

If you have not discarded your previous work, just put it in a closet and don’t even think about it for a month. Set a reminder in your email calendar. Forget it exists until the reminder. Then try them again so you’ll have an accurate idea what the profile is.

2 Likes

Exactly. I understand that. Each one needs adjusted accordingly after 2-3 weeks most likely? When do you get to use this stuff? The chemical flavors still taste that way after 3 weeks and they were mild when I started. Is there a specific time frame? I’m really trying to learn.

2 Likes

You aren’t frustrating me because you are struggling to learn; you’re frustrating me because you seem to prefer not to listen to advice.

3 Likes

@anon70102222, a month is a time frame I can set it for. Is that constant or how do I know? What happens if they are still chemical tasting after that? leave them longer? How do I know if I screwed up the mix?

2 Likes

You know through trial and error. A month is a good rule of thumb for time maturation. Some take longer, some not. In the end of learning that proper maturation time, you will know how long it took the juice to get to a point where it stopped changing flavor.

You sound in some ways how I used to be. I wanted immediate answers to my questions from others, when some of those answers can only come from my own efforts and testing. I, we, cannot tell you exactly how long each of your recipes will take to get mature. Only you will teach that to yourself.

2 Likes

@anon70102222 just asking. just asking…

How do they do the professional stuff? I’m only asking because everyone else likes it. I’ve even let the owner of one of the vape shops try some I bought and they loved it. So I let someone else try it there too. They loved it also. To me it tasted like a chemical plant.

What happened to the pro stuff? I got stuck soaking up the $20. Why did it taste horrible to me when everyone else loved it?

2 Likes

Because you are unique, just like everyone else.

4 Likes

Boy, you ain’t kidding there lmao. What is this high shear blender? what does it do? I’m curios is all.

2 Likes

Nothing. It’s nothing at all. Trust me for your own good…

4 Likes

we can always ionize the base and flavors before adding the nic lmao (it’s a joke). just use some litmus paper for the beginning and the seasoned mixes and see what happens to the litmus afterwards lmao! (@anon70102222 tosses his computer and screams after reading that!!) roflmao!

2 Likes

Nah, I wouldn’t risk damaging the expensive bits. I’ll just mute you instead.

By the way, your profile says you vape at 200w. Is that true?

2 Likes

@anon70102222 I test at 35-45w. I don’t vape that high anymore. It’s around 160. They flavor doesn’t change though. If it tastes like chemical, I try it in the 35w unit again. I’ve always gotten the same flavor profile.

2 Likes

Here is an excel with everything you are asking for …

4 Likes

wow @Caped_Conspirathist I am so sorry…
I cracked a few cold ones with the boys in the yard… hang on… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Not my calculator Doug it is part of the site and owned by Lars.

You need to stop getting bogged down in the minutiae - all the advice is here on the forum for you to read all you have to do is take it.

3 Likes

I have him on phone… he will be fine… :wink:

2 Likes