Downgrading Schmuck Alert!

I’m not at the point where I can tell a good recipe from a bad one by just reading it so I rely on the ratings or by the people posting them based on the knowledge they impart to others seeking advice here in the forums. What I thought might be an incentive to rate, would be an “Artisan’s Recipe” sub-forum where a recipe could be moved into based on a preset minimum number of ratings.

Don’t know how easy or difficult it would be to do, but it (or something similar) might get more people to participate in the ratings and who knows how many gems would come to the surface.

Just a thought during a brief respite from madness. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I’m not a computer genius or anything so I have no idea if this is possible but would it be possible to set the rating system via the comments and have the “main” recipe rating the average based on the comments?
ie I make someone’s recipe and love it so much that I leave a comment singing praises and rate it a 5.
I also see this at being useful for constructive criticism. Instead of just getting a random 1 star rating and never knowing who or why, if the rating system was in the comments then people would give their rating and a brief explanation of why they rated the way they did…
Idk just a thought…

2 Likes

Well, I just posted two recipes this evening and within just a couple of hours, they were downrated without any comments at all. Very sad.

2 Likes

What can I say, other than some folks that do things like that are just very sad little toads. You have just witnessed the troll in its natural habitat, the Internet, doing what they do best; cowardly jabbing at the sane people in the world, partly due to their extreme inferiority complex and social ineptitude.

6 Likes

Well they don’t know you and Jimk can make some juice. They’re loss not y’all’s.

We should just get the word out as much as possible about this nasty troll and get further participation in rating recipes. I do my best to be honest.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve considered that a rating should be paired with a comment to be valid…

12 Likes

I really hope you will do the pairing of the rating to the comment, @daath , because I’d rather just keep my recipes private if trolls are going to attack like this.

6 Likes

10 Likes

Lmfao I love it! The only thing it is missing is the diagram of where his mommy’s bedroom is to his;-)

5 Likes

If the image were larger, I bet you would see the bed next to mom’s car.

6 Likes

I must be one of the only ones who when they rate their recipe they rate it honestly.

Some of my recipes I’ve given 5 star but others I’ve given 4 lol.

I also always try to make comments on my recipe.

What are these reddit woes that everyone is speaking of?

Other than here and YouTube I don’t really spend much time online. Even though I’m a techie as my day job lol hell if I didn’t have a smartphone I’d probably never be online lol.

7 Likes

The classic case of the leaking tap at the plumbers house.

4 Likes

My analogy is
"If you pack food for a living you don’t go home and pack food"

But yeah you hit the nail on the head. Lol.

J

3 Likes

give a man a fish feed him… teach a man to fish… feed him for a lifetime???
here I’m learning to fish
that’s what I love about here!!!

5 Likes

I like the idea that you must comment to rate, but of course that can still be abused if someone really wanted to. I’ve seen on some other sites where they display a different kind of value, not sure what the term is in academic statistics, where the displayed rating is weighted by the number of reviewers - some kind of ‘weighted mean’. It seems maybe you do something like that on the main page where you sort by a combo of the rating and the number of reviews, but my guess is the rating number itself is still a simple average. Maybe some options there? You could click on a button or something and rotate through the different kinds of ‘averages’.

5 Likes

Recipe rating on ELR is actually fairly advanced - I use a 95% lower bound Wilson confidence score interval to determine score :smiley: I still need to implement it for flavor scores though - that’s just plain average.

Of course it can still be manipulated - and has been. I’ve deleted a few users and their scores, that were manipulating specific recipes.

6 Likes

LOL, daath - I should have known better than to assume you took the easy approach.

I like the easy approach, but I like the good approach even better :slight_smile: Recipe ratings were seriously bugging me for a while, until I implemented that! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Maybe you good folks can help me understand the logic of this particular ELR user. I made a mix and it didn’t come out good, which I noted and gave it a low rating myself. I posted it here in the forum asking for suggestion asking how to remake it better. Why would this person make this mix knowing it’s no good from the start. I don’t have a problem with the low rating he/she gave the mix… I’m just trying to figure out why this person made it in the first place knowing it was rated low and needed to be remade. Also note the time on the rating. It’s about 30 minutes after I rated it.

Look at it for your self and let me know what you think. Make sure to read the notes.

3 Likes

…there is no understanding schmucks. Schmucks are schmucks, period. The only thing I can possibly add to this explaination is, schmucks exist only to irritate people and serve as an example of how NOT to act towards others. The “Golden Rule” does not apply to them and they totally lack the empathy gene. Sad individuals, really…:pensive:

3 Likes