Drums of War in the Ongoing FDA Flavorings Inquisition?

I met a magical fairy yesterday who said she would grant me one wish.

“I wish to live forever,” I said.

“Sorry,” said the fairy, “I’m not allowed to grant that particular wish.”

“Fine,” I said. “Then I want to die the day after Congress is filled with honest, hard-working, bipartisan men and women who act only in the people’s best interests!”

“You crafty bastard,” the fairy replied.

9 Likes

Official’s gathered in their masses,
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction,
Sorcerer of death’s construction
In the fields are smokers dying
As the war machine keeps lying
Death and taxes to mankind,
Poisoning their brainwashed minds

12 Likes

Gotta love a bit of sabbath

4 Likes

Ogre ogre ogre !!!

You cannot quote better than that @SmilingOgre

5 Likes

Amazing how some lyrics stand the test of time.

6 Likes

You had that one stuck in my head all day!!! :tada:

3 Likes

Oh lord yeah!!

4 Likes

Mine too. It’s on this weeks practice list for next rehearsal.

5 Likes

Definitely mine too. Days of youth- dark room, volume up, trying to figure out the lyrics before that internet thing… I love that jam. (Do people still say jam?)

3 Likes

yup

6 Likes

my thing for the month to play on :wink:

6 Likes

Too Cool!!! Groove!

3 Likes

I dont even play but i want that drum kit.

2 Likes

Axios (November 1, 2019): “Scoop: Trump ready to ban vape flavors except tobacco, menthol

The Trump administration plans to finalize a ban on almost all flavored vaping products, with exemptions only for tobacco and menthol flavors, according to sources familiar with the plan. An announcement is expected next week.

1 Like

President Donald Trump intends to nominate Stephen Hahn, an oncologist and executive at the MD Anderson Cancer Center at the University of Texas, to take over the Food and Drug Administration, the White House announced in a press release on Friday.

Source: https://s.abcnews.com/images/Politics/stephen-hahn-ht-aa-191101_hpMain_4x3_992.jpg

Hahn has no experience in government, but has spent the majority of his career as a radiation oncologist researching lung cancer and sarcoma. He was named chief medical executive of MD Anderson in 2018. Prior to that he worked as chair of the radiation oncology department at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine.

Source:
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-nominate-head-fda-amid-vaping-cig-crisis/story?id=66688916

Just what we do not need. Yet another passing FDA figurehead with ZERO experience in government who may more enjoy obsessing about crafting hand-wringing hit-pieces demonizing Nicotine as “carcinogenic”, and/or the growingly fashionable mantra that Nicotine can “damage young brains”, and/or “addiction”, etc.

4 Likes

The Atlantic (October 23, 2019):

The Vaping Overreaction - Politicians who ban flavors should brace for a surge in cigarette smoking and the use of questionable bootleg vaping products

Why don’t politicians see the damage they are about to inflict? In large part, it is because so many wrongly believe that e-cigarettes are as bad, or worse, than cigarettes. … many policy makers and members of the public do not grasp the benefits of nicotine harm reduction, because they simply won’t admit or don’t believe that e-cigarettes are less risky for smokers. … Why the misperceptions? … The antipathy is largely fueled by a long-standing distrust of Big Tobacco. The very name e-cigarette induces flashbacks in many public-health activists. They’re transported to a time when Big Tobacco touted allegedly safer ways to smoke - filtered cigarettes in the ’50s and low-tar cigarettes in the ’60s - that turned out to be nothing but false promises. … In light of history, public-health advocates’ skepticism about e-cigarettes, at least when they first appeared, was understandable. But genuine advances really can occur, and the evidence suggests that the shift from smoking to vaping should be celebrated, not decried. … While the benefits of vaping to smokers are being downplayed or ignored, the harms to teens are likely being overstated. … Unfortunately, the misconceptions surrounding vaping may be too well entrenched. A Kaiser poll conducted this month revealed that 49 percent of respondents support banning all e-cigarettes, not just flavored ones.

SALLY SATEL is a psychiatrist, a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, and the co-author of Brainwashed: The Seductive Appeal of Mindless Neuroscience . She is a member of Health Professionals for Patients in Pain, an ad hoc advocacy group.

3 Likes

VICE (November 1, 2019):

Are Anti-Vape Scientists Nerds, or Are Pro-Vape Scientists Shills? - Researchers are at war over prioritizing the dangers of vaping versus the benefits of vaping

It would be nice if the answer were clear, but it’s unlikely that it will be for a long, long time. … The anti-vape cabal continues to publish studies on how e-cigs produce cancer-causing chemicals; how non-traditionally flavored products (read: mango, fruit, cotton candy, etc.) get more people hooked on nicotine products than non-flavored ones; and how it’s dangerous to have very little knowledge about what’s actually in e-liquid or its components, either the solvents or the flavorings. The pro-vape contingent, meanwhile, is holding a single party line: whatever the evils of e-cigs, they’re not worse than regular cigs. To that effect, researchers who extoll the relative health virtues of vaping submit letters, write independent blog posts, and circulate petitions calling for the retraction of certain so-called “anti-vape” studies, according to Bloomberg. Anti-vape researchers told Bloomberg the pro-vape criticisms are so singular that they feel “organized,” like attacks. The pro-vape researchers, of course, say that isn’t the case. It’s just science v. science.

2 Likes

Im not a bot or a shrill… shill w/e :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

No need to “protest too loud” (I should think) … :stuck_out_tongue:

Imagine the diabolical software code kernels wherein machines “deep fake” known personalities. Similar to identity-theft - where someone opens and blows on public saxophones under the moniker of others’ names.

Beware Cyber-Protean Troll Farms wafting imperceptibly within the Vaporous Culture War Clouds … :wink:

3 Likes

I like my banana blueberry nut muffin today… with my allergies acting up I decided to vape everything up I don’t like… due to the fact I can not taste a thing… waste not want not :stuck_out_tongue: bwahaha!! ~bot #196987

3 Likes