ELR is a testing ground? A rant of sorts

Repeat this over and over, @muth… you make me proud!! :smiley: <3

5 Likes

Let’s face it, it’s shear arrogance that makes people say things like that. And arrogance gets in the way of learning.

7 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong. I agree that flavor is open to interpretation but even as a new mixer I was able to eyeball a “bad” recipe for it’s grossly out of balance flavor percentages. (But then again, maybe someone’s sense of taste needs 12% of Cardamom (FA)! Idk)

6 Likes

I have yet to run into an arrogant, self-serving individual on this site. And I also find it more relaxed and freewheeling than others but with a taste of tactfulness. Yeah, the folks here are great!

8 Likes

Then allow me to add, how can one tell if an author has intentionally made a ‘bad recipe’. They may like it, as horrific as it may sound.

6 Likes

That’s very true Phil. The recipe I make for my mom (which is public) is very enjoyable to her and the percentages are high because that’s what she can taste and like. There are other people too that are just coming off cigarettes or have other issues which make their palate want more flavoring. I do state in my notes for that recipe that this is a very strong flavor forward mix, and why it was made. I truly hope people read notes before mixing a recipe and I actually know a few professional mixers that believe unless you have 15% flavor in a mix you are cheating the customers. It’s their business, so obviously it has worked for their customers or they wouldn’t have them.

I think having the concentrates labeled correctly is a great idea. I think if people are purposefully posting a recipe to this website to “trick” users into making it, knowing it’s bad, well that’s something that should be frowned upon (and yes I have heard talk of that being done). If a person loves what they’ve mixed and shares it, even if it’s something we’d never want to vape ourselves (thinking of the 10% sweetener and 5% flavor concentrate) there’s a butt for every seat (I think I remember some folks actually liking that recipe).

Just my two cents and hope you all had a great Christmas.

10 Likes

I was exactly that way in the beginning @authormichellehughes

6 Likes

Same here. I remember Kimber telling me to mix up some Lotta Latte 10% with Lucky Shot 10% and that was the best dang mix I tasted in DIY back in 2016 … it was pretty common to do 20% flavoring back in the day.

5 Likes

IMHO, I’ve been on a few sites and this is the best damn one out there. The sense of community here is top notch! I’ve seen some of these comments that Tortured Zen and others get after politely asking users to correct flavor names and the responses are ridiculous.

12 Likes

Back a few, I made a thanksgiving joke recipe. I should pull this and the other one called New World Gravy. This is a nice example of a bad recipe. Or maybe ice cream, chocolate banana and salmon.

4 Likes

Pretty sure this one would qualify!

And how should one even react to this?

7 Likes

I swear my eyes are horrible today because I read that as sweet satanic and yeah that much Koolada it just might be LOL

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I added a “maybe” and an Idk. And you corrected me like I asked, lol. Thx for the insight, Phil. :+1:

5 Likes

Needs some cowbell :wink:

4 Likes

No matter if you would agree with the content of a recipe or not, telling someone that their recipe is a joke is rather condescending.

While bad recipes are making content on ELR worse, so does bad attitude!

9 Likes

@TorturedZen, thats for pods, right ??

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but here’s how I use this site.
At first I came here to use the calculator.
Then I went to the forum to ask the kindergarten questions about how to utilize features on the site.
Then I began to browse the forum and read up on stuff on a higher level than me, learning more. Then I took suggestions from other mixers and used them to improve both my mixing methods and recipes and storage solutions and recommendations of suppliers, flavor companies, discounts, gear, holy geesh I’ve forgotten how much I’ve learned here. But I was almost “shamefully immersed”. Spent several hours a day reading and mixing and carrying on when I realized it was no longer a smoking cessation gig, it was a full blown hobby.
After I’d calculated (probably) around 40 recipes or so I realized that this website was not only responsible for my ability to have done any of them, but also storing them for me, allowing me to adapt them, and archiving all my concentrates by alphabetical order and more.
That’s when I thought holy crap I’d better donate, keep this sucker afloat.
Then I got into the forums.
A memorable one was the thread when paingawd lost his house and folks gathered in a modern day barn-raising of sorts, and I actually cried at some of the comments I read and the way that I saw folks helping “one of their own”.
That’s when I felt that this was more than a calculator, more than a hobby, but a community.
I save all my recipes, even the bad ones, and when I get one that rides along in the tank for more than a week that I’m really proud of? I make it public. Which by the way I’m about due cuz I’ve been vaping some pretty damn good yum yum that I haven’t shared yet. But that’s the program for me.
Is this a testing ground to me? Nope.
Is it a testing ground for my recipes before I make them public? Well yeah kinda.
Do I wish flavor names like joosy lemun weren’t in the data base? Yup. Do I understand why there’s the occasional “me vanilla stone V7” in the flavorbase, sort of but it looks like graffiti to me.
I try to contribute to the community and sometimes my drunken ramblings or attempts at good natured ribbing get taken the wrong way, as should be expected, but I try to give back to my community as it has given to me.
Wish they’d take down the “good deals” thread though. I’ve spent so much money saving money that when they carry me out on the gurney and see my collection of rigs I’m going to be post mortem-ly embarrassed for myself. Please don’t really take it down. I like my addictions. All of them.

17 Likes

!!! Standing ovation !!! :clap:

6 Likes

If the naming conventions are right, no response is the best response! Yowsa, someone’s got some needy taste buds there!

4 Likes

Not sure as I don’t do pods. Even if it was that’s still an insane amount of flavoring!

If you’re referring to the “Manggo sweet saltnic” recipe then I would have to disagree. There have been several recipes like this, and worse posted publicly. There have also been more experienced mixers warning the novices that said content is a joke and nobody with any level of experience would think otherwise. It could be seen as a PSA and is nowhere near condescending.
Edited to add: And if I were a novice mixer considering such a recipe I’d be damn glad someone pointed that out!

6 Likes