Enforceable Quarantine in US Cities, Yes or No?

It’s the norm for me :laughing: I’m too “frugal” to pay for lunch :laughing:

2 Likes

I don’t know, I don’t work for the CDC. But the way it’s going 14 days is going to turn into 14 months!

3 Likes

Initially I wanted to vote as can’t decide. Then changed to yes. But only for those situations when a bunch of people go and party at the beach or in college towns.

3 Likes

No idea how to answer. Not sure about the question.

Do I think there will be? Maybe, especially in places like Michigan where Gretchen loves to assert her power.

Do I think should be? Depends on how it’s done. More good than harm is always good.

Do I think there can be? Sure, declare marshal law and away we go!

3 Likes

All numbers are estimations. Thing to not forget is that 0.8% mortality rate is taken in the earliest stage when hospitals and stuff are not totally overcrowded with patients. When they are then those numbers can explode much higher which is happening in Italy for example (and important thing to remember, Italy has an excellent health system, more hospital beds than most other developed countries, they have universal healthcare which is important factor as well and they have pretty strict isolation rules for quite some time; now imagine those Italy’s numbers in worse environments…)

4 Likes

To lockdown one or three state is asinine IMO. Anywhere there is at least one case is a possibility spreading the virus. These state by state measures will end in failure IMO. Trump made a comment that made sense to me… “Go Big Or Go Home!” With numbers rising everyday nationwide I think a much broader solution is needed… at least until a successful treatment or cure is discovered.

BTW… This thread might just be a hypothetical anyway…

4 Likes

The WHO believe that almost all covid-19 patients won’t be infectious enough to pass on the virus after 14 days from the onset of symptoms.

4 Likes

The US (and the UK) are both currently only testing patients as they’re being admitted to hospital, so a relatively low number of people already fairly desperately unwell - it’s hardly surprising that an alarming proportion of them test positive.

Other countries, most notably South Korea, started a vigorous preventative regime really early in their infection cycle of testing contacts of patients and the wider community so they could be isolated before spreading the virus on to too many others. So very large sample sizes with relatively low positive results.

The reality is that the number of known infections in both the US and UK are drastically under stated, perhaps by x10 or x20 the declared statistics.

5 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t accept any data from China. Compared to how the rates and numbers elsewhere are going, I don’t see how a country with a population of nearly 1.4 billion can top out at just ~82k total cases, while for example the 60 million population of Italy has 10k more and climbing. For all we know they have 15 million cases but aren’t telling anyone.

4 Likes

I answered yes, but it’s not just for the spread of the virus.

2 Likes

I share your scepticism about China but it certainly helped that they moved to a very strict (and mostly observed) lockdown very early in the outbreak (after just 400 declared fatalities).

3 Likes

It all hinges on the accuracy of their reporting though.

2 Likes

They took extreme measures. They even went as far as welding shut doors to highrise buildings. There are videos of this.

4 Likes

Where did you get your percentage’s from?
Death rate as far as I can see is 1 percent.
True numbers will never be know. You can go by people testing positive and those who die. The larger the tested pool will bring the death rates down further.
How many have COVID and don’t get tested?
85% of people of who actually have the virus show no symptom to a heavy flu then recover. They will never be tested. Throwing out any numbers is a fools errand. The only number I look for is the number of the infected coming down.

2 Likes

And while most of the non-government sponsored news is stifled, some stuff still gets through showing how happy the people are about it too.

Anything can get through to dailymail, whether it’s true or not :crazy_face:

1 Like

I saw that India (population 1.3 billion) enacted severe steps very early with only 466 cases. We’ll see how CV spread play out there…

I truly believe that early lockdowns will weed out the infected and isolation and treatment will drastically reduce the spread of CV.

1 Like

They also lie thru their teeth. I find it funny they have removed all news services that can verify what is happening inside a the country. As far as I can see all news being released is the mouth of the communist party. Their growth rate numbers before this happened were pure fiction. WHO reports can’t be reliable because his home country is reliant on Chinese money. They proved it the other day by not recognizing Tiwan.

5 Likes

Not much different than in the US where a large part of the country don’t believe any national news reports depending on who reports it. We have come to believe that a large part of news is considered to be fake news.

2 Likes

Their is a difference between people who have a different opinion than a country who dictates opinion. Imagine if all US news only came from the government.

4 Likes