Enforceable Quarantine in US Cities, Yes or No?

Sorry if the article is bad, I saw the Dutch version and posted an English equivalent. I admit I didn’t fully read it. The case was tested by the faculty of veterinary medecin at the university of Liege. They are not going to publish moronic stories to attract attention like all the tabloids do.
Here’s the Dutch version, brought by a virologist in our national news buletins.

1 Like

Pets don’t pass it to humans, humans pass it to pets. Many people let dogs and cats lick their hands and faces, I’m not one of them either.

1 Like

And therein lies the danger

Only 3 cases have been found.

1 Like

India, latest numbers show 1024 confirmed cases. Their graph is currently following the same exponential curve as other countries, and while the numbers are low comparably, we’ll have to see when the curve flattens before we can pronounce them as successful. It may turn out that the extreme measures only postpone the spread, rather than contain it. And who knows, maybe their early measures will help if a vaccine/cure is found in time.

And of course, again, it hinges on accuracy and honesty of reported numbers.

2 Likes

I fear that India - and many other non-Western countries - unable to enforce their lockdowns on poverty-stricken migrant workers and sparse, under-resourced health facilities, could face the most dreadful outcomes.

The UK’s Deputy Chief Medical Officer has today said that life may not return to normal for six months or longer with our lockdown expected to last for 2-3 months “'to see if we’ve squashed it [the peak]”.

The social and economic implications are too enormous to contemplate right now.

3 Likes

Fines won’t do shit. Throw their defiant asses in jail! Although shooting them might be unthinkable, this virus is a killer! There are certain types of people who cannot and will not be told what to do, and will ultimately defy authority. These are the people who pose a threat and in the gravest extreme I would not have a problem if they were taken out.
The needs of the many…

3 Likes

That ‘only’ is very dangerous thinking imo (if officially confirmed cases).

It’s not the number that worries, but that would prove extremely quick adaptation of the virus and developed ability to jump on another species in basically no time. Also virus’s mutations are developing much quicker than expected and that makes research and possible curing much more difficult (not to mention it could mutate in more dangerous version or what would it mean if it adapts to jump back on human from the mammals tomorrow or what would it mean if it starts jumping on mammals that we eat.

1 Like

Maybe I didn’t elaborate sufficiently, but I hope you got the jist of my one liner.

2 Likes

You elaborated all over the place. It is I who failed to acknowledge your statement.

2 Likes

If shit could fly, I would go far. I think we have enough on our plate as it is.
I don’t see the point in muddying the water by adding more confusion about unproven cases.
Pets have been held in quarantine in China, but that was lifted a while back. I’m sure there was a good reason for that.
You cannot accuse the Chinese of being overly sentimental with dogs and cats.

I can add my own what ifs.

What if the virus lives on my clothes?
What temperature do I need to wash?
Do I have to buy a new wardrobe because none of my clothes can withstand 194F/90C?
Do I have to eat my food wearing PPE?

It’s pointless and doesn’t help.

5 Likes

I agree with all you said. Just saying that when couple of cases are confirmed that could worsen things tremendously. Let’s hope there will be no confirmed cases anytime soon.

2 Likes

I’m just worried about people with only a smattering of information, most of it wrongly interpreted, going nutters about pets being carriers.

There are no limits to what the stupid will do, especially when they feel threatened, and even more so when the threat is invisible.

I value my dog and I would like to be able to take her out without having to worry about idiots throwing poison, or worse, around because they’ve read half of something somewhere.

5 Likes

20% of those in the high risk can face this. Unsure if it is a mutation but there are a few articles on this…

3 Likes

Don’t know why you would take offense and make such a statement when I only try to add to the conversation… S Korea and India has offered a different model and hopefully those models will contribute to dealing with this CV pandemic.

That wasn’t offense. It was a colorful way of acknowledging the correctness of your correction.

1 Like

Well Thank you is in order, so thanks a lot.

Given that the Feds can only quarantine specifically identified individuals of feared to be “contagious” status, any way, it is a State level jurisdiction (superceding Local laws, generally). Trump is full of BS.

“Quarantine” strictly means one cannot leave their room/house. We need to recognize that the various State level limitations (in the US) have not (AFAIK) limited individuals from leaving their abodes for a walk, and/or visits to “essential” outlets for food, drugs, Alcohol (and even Cannabis in Wash State). Everybody needs such essential supplies - and plenty of folks have not a vehicle, cannot afford to pay supply delivery services, and also really need to move their bones at least a couple of times a week to remain physically healthy. No, I don’t have (or could or would I afford the costs of) a frikkin’ treadmill.

The liberty of movement is as basic as things get in a free society. (True, strict) “quarantine” is physical incarceration that few would tolerate, should they have to live that ! Do close non-essential businesses.

Studies I have read dogs have carried some form of COV for decades. During that time not one person has become infected with the dog form of COV.

2 Likes

:crazy_face:

4 Likes

Well said, and when it becomes intolerant what then will the cost be.

2 Likes