First attempt NET

While macerating, it is important that there exist enough “free” (not absorbed by the tobacco leaf-bits) solvent (the PG you are using) so that there is a higher probability that molecules (of the PG solvent, and the tobacco leaf-bit “solute”) will be able to move around in solution. The drier the tobacco, the more solvent (PG or VG) gets absorbed into macerating tobacco leaf-bits. I am currently (room temperature only) macerating some (fairly dry) Virginia tobacco, where 1/2 Ounce has nearly fully absorbed 100 mL of the PG solvent.

(Presumably), there exist only so many “flavor components” per unit weight of the macerated tobacco. While making sure that there remains enough un-absorbed solvent for “free molecular movement” in the solution seems important, using higher amounts of solvent (past the minimum amount required for free movement of solvent and solute in solution) will likely just dilute the “flavor” strength of final strained and filtered extract.

In addition to using perhaps a bit more (rather than less) solvent (PG or VG) when macerating, breaking up the leaves into smaller sized “leaf-bits” (but not to “dust”) increases the surface area of the tobacco leaves that (readily) contact the solvent. I like to physically “shake” my sealed maceration jars every couple of days.

2 Likes

The question is whether the solvent will not be saturated …

2 Likes

No, it will not be “saturated”. Actually the danger is that the solution will become “super saturated”, a physical chemical occurrence and I can assure you are in no danger of that.

I understand @Gus6 is using a translator so I have no quibble with him regards this next comment: But use of terms from the world of chemistry comes up from time to time here on this forum. That is. a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I see this commonly in discussions like “How to Store Nicotine” where outragious mistakes are made when using terms like ‘specific gravity’, ‘solution’, oxidation’ and so forth. I used to try to make comments correcting some of that but eventually gave up trying. In internet forums people throw around technical terms without understanding that those terms have very precise meaning when they are used as technical words of the relevant art… As a (retired) industrial chemist, my skin sort of crawls when I read some of these internet discussions.

Anyway on another subject, and that is the issue of proper particle size of the tobacco in the PG or VG maceration jar, some of that was briefly kicked around in a thread HERE. I feel that is a subject worthy of much deeper analysis. I have been for a long time exploring what it takes to “speed up” the maceration process. Regarding that, particle size it seems is one bit of it but may be a negative if carried too far and reducing the particle size to dust. A second ‘speed up’ potential exists by using techniques or equipment that allows for frequent or perhaps continuous agitation or ‘stirring’ of the matrix is another. And, finally, I feel the most important is the destruction of the cell wall to allow for unfettered access by the solvent.

5 Likes

Your uncluttered way of explaining things is a blessing thank you.

3 Likes

I’ve come across this question before and I believe the answer to that is that there is way too much sugar in fruit to use this method. Vaping sugar is not a very good idea.

3 Likes

Give it a try! Experimentation! That’s what this hobby is all about. :grinning:

Personally, I just make sure there’s enough solvent to cover the leaf and then about 15% to 20% more in the jar, for plenty of leaf to solvent coverage. I don’t grind the tobacco to dust prior to maceration; rather, leave it in a fluffy “ribbon cut” form. Perhaps once a month I’ll inspect my steeping jars and give them a roll around to check out the viscosity of the extract and see if the solvent is getting darker. :wink:

6 Likes

Following the indications found here, I have done several NETs and I am happy, but everything tastes sweet to me, I don’t know if it is VG, or what it could be, but I would like it to be less sweet, and drier and harder, stronger … Any suggestion? I have made with pipe tobacco and also with cigars …

2 Likes

Gus, please identify the specific brand name(s) of the Tobaccos used (pipe, cigar, etc). PG/VG ratios ?

2 Likes

(Perhaps), some various sugars contained in (pipe) Tobacco blends (from the so-called “casings”) ?

2 Likes

Tried a few extractions using (some/all) VG (rather than PG). They had a somewhat different “taste”.

2 Likes

Have you tried adding some DNB or Tobacco Absolute? Inawera has some great ones, they might just add that little something that’s lacking.

3 Likes

Yay you! :tada:

But, as R-K asks, would you mind giving us a list of the tobacco used in the extractions you’ve performed? This will be helpful info for us. Then, possibly, we can give you the info you need to get your NET where you want it. :wink:

3 Likes

These are the tobacco used. And also some cheap cigars … I made 30gr tobacco + 150ml PG approximately, 8 hours at 50 degrees Celsius, minimum 2 months of maceration, and then I mix it 50/50 between 15 and 25% … I don’t know if this is useful information…

3 Likes

Indeed… good info. :grinning:

Great! Give us some time to research theses tobaccos on a review site or two… knowing what type of leaf is in the blend can reveal a vast amount of info. :wink:

2 Likes

Here’s one of the sites which I use to gather info about a tobacco or blend. Take the reviews from actual pipe smokers with a grain of salt… they are, after all, setting fire to the stuff and then inhaling burning leaves… using tobacco like that is not advisable! :smirk:

https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3464/torben-dansk-burley

https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2065/wo-larsen-signature-vintage-mixture

https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2978/stanwell-melange

https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/11085/stanwell-housemark-sungold

Take a look and see what might be causing the sweetness. :thinking:

Pay particular attention to the listing/info for Cavendish. :wink:

4 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Does anybody here grow their own tobacco?

@Gus6 … If you can get your hands on a good straight Burley or heavy Burley blend, your sweetness issue will most likely disappear.

https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3787/tabac-manil-la-brumeuse

:arrow_up:… this is an example of a good stout Burley. I’ve been using this in straight NET form and hybrid form. Here’s my favorite hybrid using this extract:

4 Likes

Maybe it’s the flavor it should have, I expected something more similar to when I smoked cigarettes …
Thanks for the responses to all.

2 Likes

That flavor is going to require combustion :fire: :confused:

The addition of DNB to your NET will certainly give it some cig ash quality. Otherwise, sticking to a Burley NET is going to be as close to a cig as possible.

Good luck!

5 Likes

I (personally) have found the addition of Burley-processed tobaccos (with the exception of a small amount of a “White Burley” present in one pipe-tobacco used in my “Triton’s NET”) to be way too intense for my own taste preferences. “Sweet” would not describe the resultant taste (of Burleys). As stated, the sugary casings associated with Cavendish(es) may indeed be a likely culprit (regarding the “sweet” taste perceived by Gus). Virginias (alone) remind me of a “grassy” or “hay-like” taste, and Periques imbue a (for me) important (kind of) “fruity” (albeit themselves just a bit “sugary”) taste.

The relative constitutional balance between the (one might call “base”) Virginias, the amount of Periques, the amount of Cavendish, (as well as the small amount of that “White Burley” present) all matter in my perception. As well (in general), the resultant effects are also dependent upon Coil-Wick Temperatures and vaping style used, as well as the state of one’s own chemo-receptors (which “tire” easily after exposures at various times throughout one’s vaping day). The only repeatable “standard” (for me), is the aesthetics of the flavor first thing in the morning when using a standard Wattage (for me that is quite low at ~5 Watts or a tad higher, but less than 6 Watts), and vaping techniques utilized.

Various types of sugars present in NET juices all begin thermal decomposition by a temperature of around 160 *C. I myself like the (transitory) time of the Coil-Wick interface Temperature increasing upwards through that (150-170 *C) temperature range. Once the Coil-Wick interface rises above that temperature point, resulting NET tastes can seem to become less interesting (“hot”, more “oppressive”). (Single coil) 5-6 Watts is plenty (with some warm-up patience) to reach that temperature range, or much higher. Nicotine itself begins to be released into vapor droplets (at or above) 170 *C. PG (“boils”) at 188 *C. (For me), the most interesting flavors seem to occur somewhere within this (150-190 *C) “window” in particular - and when in the course of increasing Coil-Wick temps. Results can be marginal otherwise.

Increasing the proportion of PG relative to VG (to above 50/50) can reduce senses of “sweetness”. NETs added that are extracted in (only) PG will also act to reduce the proportion of the VG relative to PG. I have settled on a (total in juice) ratio of ~60/40 PG/VG. 50/50 might taste a bit “sweeter”, and 70/30 a bit “harsher”. Relative proportional balances (at a given Wattage) can make notable differences.

4 Likes