First time post!

Maybe it’s the ONE chocolate that does work.

Why haven’t you tried it?

I wouldn’t be able to resist since it’s such a major flavour.

1 Like

perhaps. but even if it does, i am sure i am not the one to make it work.

i’m scerd :fearful:. and i wouldn’t know what to do with it.

2 Likes

Some chocolate, some cream and custard or other dairy… some honey or brown sugar :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Already I’m thinking of that stuff I made with actual tobacco I grew: Chimo.

Cocoa, honey and tobacco.

Do a juice version - maybe with nuts… which nut…

Not hazelnut that’s so common in chocolate.

Pecan: I already know you’ve got butter pecan :wink:

2 Likes

Butter would’ve been awesome in that chimo too, but it was meant to be a paste used like nicorettes gum, but not chewed just placed under the tongue.

Like high dose nicotine fudge.

I’ve brought that bottle of home-made salts with me again today too, because it’s excellent.

What I failed to add to the list last night before bed is that it doesn’t dry or acid my mouth out like commercial salts.

Fuck knows why considering how much acid is IN it but it, doesn’t.

Maybe because citric acid is natural and gentler, while the Benzoic Acid used in commercial salts is a nasty-arse lab chemical?

2 Likes

And that slight bit of jam, yum

2 Likes

You

I would maybe try the flavours that’re difficult to use as single flavours first - not even bothering with nicotine: just VG and flavour, if you have an RDA and can drip em.

Like the jam - that sounds like the kind of flavour that could easily be over or under used and has a fine line before turning blugh.

Flavours that’re simple I wouldn’t worry about, but what am I talking about if you’re going to try em it may as well be in a complete mix :smirk:

2 Likes

I actually do believe that MSG would work with custard the more I think about it, because custards aren’t strictly sweet: not candy, not fruity - they’re cream-based flavours with what, corn flour in real custard and juice custards are thick, rich, creamy and that’s the most dominant set of flavours, which falls in-line with the kind of flavours you could add it to in real food.

I certainly couldn’t see it working with a great many flavours, but custards and creams… why not?

2 Likes

Speaking of flavouring more broadly, I found out last night (while reading up about MSG and it’s history) that McDonalds actually use Beef Flavouring in the oil they use to deep-fry their, fries.

It makes perfect sense given how nobody wants to eat actual animal fats anymore, but I also remember saying not too long ago - in a moment of nostalgic revelry - that one these days I’ll get around to bringing some dripping home to fry-up some chips the way we used to cook them.

Always used to cook them, actually.

I remember throughout my childhood, the deep fryers in every family members homes would be filled with cooled and solidified dripping that was just heated and re-used whenever fried things were required.

I remember too, hot chips used to taste better deep-fried in real animal fat, so when found while randomly googling about MSG “Why are McDonalds Fries so good?” then clicked expecting to find it’s because they add MSG to them, I was surprised to find NOPE: no MSG, but the oil itself is flavoured to mimic the dripping we all used to use.

True too: French Fries do taste better than the majority of hot chips and though I’ve never once pondered the question why that is, it was an interesting bit of information to stumble upon anyway.

2 Likes

Umami, I believe, is Japanese and loosely translates to “savory”. It is the last in the “5 basic flavor types” in Japanese foods. The first four being sweet, sour, salty, and bitter.

3 Likes

“Essence of deliciousness”, I learnt in my googling last night :slight_smile:

It’s very good though… considering how little you need to add to a whole fry-pan full of food to instantly make it better.

IT was invented in 1909 by a Japanese dood, who found a way to extract it from seaweed and bind it with a sodium molecule to make a stable salt and the stuff I bought yesterday is (accidently since I knew none of this then) the original AJI-NO-MOTO brand that Japanese dood founded.

3 Likes

Lot of people think that ‘5th flavour type’ thing is bullshit, but I have no opinion either way: all I know, is that if it can improve ALL my dinners just be sprinkling a bit of MSG into them, that makes it a very worthwhile condiment to have in my cupboard :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I’m definitely thankful the FEAR of MSG as some kind of deadly shit to be avoided is no longer the general social norm, but I remember it doesn’t seem THAT long ago it WAS considered evil: all those current affair shows about MSG being in supermarket food and junk food, all the campaigning to eliminate it from out processed foods etcetera…

Yeah… I still did not learn whether it’s bad for us to eat or not, but I certainly didn’t find evidence it’s good for us…

All I could glean from all the reading was it’s considered no more or less dangerous than the flavourings we’re using in our juice, which is a big fat green-light to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t think it would be so readily available or easy to buy though: I figured it’d be kinda, more elusive than it turned out to be: available in both major supermakets and any Asian Grocery store, of course.

2 Likes

Do you think it’ll be beneficial in a custard - to enhance the thickness, creaminess, custardness of the mix? :smirk:

Custard isn’t strictly savoury after all, but it is a rich flavour and I’m not adding any sweetneners to it because I want the creamy and rich without the sugary blugh.

Few crystals per 10mL would be all I’d need, and if it’s as safe as any flavouring… I obvioulsy HAVE to at least TRY it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can’t say anything as to the safety of vaping it… As to the enhancing nature of MSG for a custard flavor… I honestly don’t know…

The only thing I could suggest, without risking the encouragment of any newb’s health, would be to maybe try it in a way that doesn’t involve vaping it…

Maybe as a drink additive, maybe a few drops in milk? One with the MSG additive and one without.

Have a sip of water and a plain saltine type cracker or two between samples to cleanse the palate to be sure you can taste the difference… Maybe?

Try that and THEN try vaping it…?

Without knowing the risks of vaping MSG I’m really hesitant to encourage something like that, you know?

2 Likes

Sure.

I would be hesitant to try it too, but then - doing a quick mental scan - I considered all the stuff we’ve all been vaping for so long it’s become not only acceptable, but not even thought about: the VG and PG of course; that’s safe for eating but not approved for inhalation; the flavourings are all considered safe for eating but again, nobodies ever said it’s in anyway meant to be inhaled.

As that mental scan flicks through cards, I think “Saline and salt, distilled water, citric acid, sucrlose, ethyl maltol, stevia concetrates” and think that *all these things have one thing we know about them: they’re considered safe to eat.

Though we’ve all been vaping all this stuff without noting any adverse reactions, it’s also still today the case that none of it has ever been declared save to inhale, let alone all day long as we generally do.

Of the flavourings, almost all are used in relatively minute amounts, of course, so it’s really only the VG and PG we’re pumping into out systems all day every day and though we’ve all got anecdotal and personal experience telling us “It doesn’t FEEL bad, and I’ve not known anyone who’s grown sick from vaping it”, that doesn’t mean are systems aren’t converting these chemicals into some third, mystery chemical component that’s being stored and accumulating, then converting to something else or affecting our bodies in some tiny way we would never notice with daily use, that’ll result in any kind of shit-storm in 20 years time.

So then I think, MSG shares all the same properties as far as being a chemical, safe to eat but a complete question-mark for long-term inhalation with maybe one negative the other ingredients aren’t lumped with: that demonization MSG received until recently - nothing much is known about our regular vape chemicals, but they haven’t had any actual heckling or been labelled ‘dangerous’ like MSG has, and we all know MSG is still trying to shake that off and dust off it’s public image.

I’m like, rambling now huh? :slight_smile:

Snap to present:all the other ingredients we use are a complete safety question-mark for inhalation, but we happily use them and willfully ignore the fact we really have no idea how dangerous they could be long term.

MSG is merely another question-mark for inhalation: when I think how minuscule an amount I’d be needing to test whether there’s an improvement in flavour, I am encouraged by the prospect of it’s being fine to use.

Yes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Exactly.

That’s why I suggested the milk test first and vaping second…

2 Likes

*Edit: of course, if there’s no discernible improvement in perceived flavour within the juice I test it with, then that’ll be the end of that: I don’t want to use any more than the tiniest amount (think three grains of salt per 10mL kinda amount) because, well…

• (a) I don’t want the flavour of the MSG itself in the mix and
  • (b) if it’s going to work, it’ll work even at that tiny amount.

I expect it to be a fail, because I’ll be dealing with flavourings instead of real foods, but what if it does fail?

What if, I mix a drop into my week-steeped custard mix and suddenly find I’ve got the best custard I’ve ever tasted in my hand?

If I don’t try, nobody else will and we will never know.

1 Like

It’s one of those things. If you’re comfortable with the possible risks, go for it. Your initial question being “will MSG help a custard flavor?”… Unsure but being that custard is one of those in-between flavors that isn’t truly “sweet” and isn’t truly “savory” it wouldn’t hurt to try, IMO.

2 Likes