Fix My Mix - Bring your trouble recipes here!

Well, all I can say is I’ve tried many of the popular coconuts and didn’t care for either the waxiness or fake suntan lotion notes. The ones I mentioned don’t have those unpleasant tastes, imo. I have yet to try the Dessicated Coco VTA.

4 Likes

I agree with you on that. Thanks for your help.

3 Likes

Pairing coconuts does seem to be the way to get it done…

4 Likes

I have the VTA Desiccated Coconut and the plain VTA Coconut but I have yet to single flavour test them so that is something I need to do next. NomNomz sell most of the Delosi line except for their coconut which I have put in a request for. Chefs don’t sell the VSO Coconut nor the new SSA Coconut, come to that they don’t even sell the VSO Espresso which is rapidly growing in popularity. They do sell the more obscure flavours by these two companies which I find quite perplexing.
Edit NomNomz do not sell Delosi Flavours but Theecigshop.uk does. I got the two mixed up sorry.

4 Likes

I’m surprised I’m missing only 2 ingredients this time. I don’t have a large FLV arsenal.

3 Likes

Hehe sorry about that @muth. I don’t typically do any recipes limited to only one flavor brand, but this one, was actually one of my BETTER FLV only recipes !!!

3 Likes

Here’s an idea for the mixing calculator. When I open a link to a recipe, such as the FLV posted above by SD, the page calculates the amount of flavors I DON"T HAVE, then sends me the message, “Piss off! Go make a strawberry cream or something!”

Just a random thought.

6 Likes

Here are FA SDS. The latest testing for Butter FA is dated on 11/13/2020 (this time the amount of Diacetyl is slightly lower than before); i also had it at 1.5-2% before (based on their previous SDS).

Just for the info - Custard Premium contains 2.4% (or 24000ppm); the highest amount of D i ever heard. I like it, but for me at least it’s not that versatile as other custards; i can use it high only in specific bakery recipes and small amounts elsewhere. I never tried Butter FA because of polarizing reviews. Cake Butter CAP for example is using 5-10% AP, while Butter TFA is using 5-14% of Acetoin + up to 5% AP (also both are the highest amounts i ever heard for A and AP).

(that comma is a geography issue; in Europe we write 15.000,45 ppm (or 15000,45 or 15 000,45), while in the US you would write the same amount as 10,000.45).

4 Likes

How are you coming up with the 24000 number??

You can’t be simply adding three 0’s to the percentage…are you?

5 Likes

Currently (according to the sheet at the site you linked) Butter is more than 1.22%, but less than 1.52% diacetyl.

I still don’t understand how you’re arriving at the 24,000ppm though.

5 Likes

ppm is an abbreviation of parts per million. 1ppm = 0.0001%.

The same explanation was used several times by manufacturers. Or do you have other? Don’t know what you mean?

4 Likes

Yes, that’s what i said. :point_down:

24000ppm is equal to 2.4% (calculator) and that was meant for Custard premium, not Butter.

4 Likes

I suck at math, so I use converters LOL …

3 Likes

Right.

But you can’t simply add three zeros to the percentage, as you have no point of reference.

Let’s say that (in the case of FA Butter) it’s 1.3%.

You can’t assume that there’s a million parts in a 30ml, but since they’re only using 1.3% (in that 30ml)…but somehow (that I’m still trying to understand) you’re still magically arriving at 13,000ppm.

@Mikser please do the math for me.
Long form.

Maybe then I can follow what you’re trying to say, and how you’re arriving at the numbers you are.

As it stands, I think you’re missing a critical point/step somewhere.

4 Likes

Given we’re dealing with chemicals here, and you don’t know the numbers (with respect to the amount of a compound, in relation to the carrier, and then factor in the other compounds further diluting [read as: changing the numbers even further before we even consider mixing with the resulting flavor compound {aka formula}])

The first part of the page you linked seems to be closely related to what I’m trying to say in my first paragraph above:

First, the solution (butter) is more than just water. So that alters the numbers in itself.
Besides which we don’t know what msolute, much less msolution is.

The only thing we know from ANY company that uses this format is that it’s x%.

I don’t believe you can simply click on a simple online calculator, slap the percentage in, without having proper frame of reference and/or context applied. (The same way that all drops are not created equal. It varies depending on the size of the orifice dispensing that drop.)

5 Likes

5 Likes

@Sprkslfly I just plugged the 1.3% into the calculator and it came out to 13,000 ppm. I was under the assumption that 1.3% in a 30ml bottle is the same as 1.3% in a 120ml bottle (relative), so the ppm would be the same (relative) as well ?? Maybe I’M missing something here, but comparing it to how we mix with the calculator, 1.3% flavor in a small bottle is the same as 1.3% in a larger bottle (greater amount, but same overall percentage).

4 Likes

You are.
As is Mikser.

There’s clues in the snapshot I posted earlier… (post 1290)

“ATEmix (inhalation - vapors) 32.85mg/L”

That’s 32.85 milligrams per liter.

“Diacetyl
ATE Inhalation 0.5mg/L”

That’s 0.5 milligrams per liter.

But, again I can’t see a way to do the math from that…
Perhaps folks like @CosmicTruth or @BoDarc or someone else could help explain/clarify.
But I have a hunch they are staying out of it intentionally. And I could totally understand that too. lol

Me? I’m genuinely curious about the math in proper relation to the context. Don’t care about ‘arguing for entertainment’ or 'being right". I just want to make sense of it, to verify it’s accuracy.

5 Likes

It’s four 0’s. Percent is 10^(-2) while ppm is 10^(-6). Meaning 10,000ppm is always 1%. One part per million is one part of solute per one million parts solvent. One ppm is one milionth of the whole something, while one percent is one hundred of the whole something.

Thus i believe 2.446% is always exactly 24460ppm or 24.46‰. It can’t be something like 2.446% is 21.4345‰ or 25685 ppm. We can talk other parameters like mass or volume or temperature or pressure or… would change the numbers, but those will change equally no matter if we write them in percents, permilles or ppm (just like it wouldn’t change if we write them in m, cm, mm, km). (Somebody pls correct me if wrong).

5 Likes

I’ve never disputed that.
That’s basic math.

The point I’m trying to make is, that only applies if you are talking about a solution of diacetyl, and only diacetyl.

I’m talking about diacetyl (a single compound) being mixed with other compounds.

I feel that you don’t have enough information to be able to arrive at a resolute, set figure. Even approximately.

Your thought process IMO only applies to one instance. And that’s if you were measuring a pure diacetyl, in a water carrier. (Which we’re not)
If that were the case, then I’d have no issue with your example of “1.3% = 13000ppm” (using my example in my prior post).
Why? Because that number would be based off of a 100% diacetyl solution.
But that’s not what we’re talking about.

Since we don’t know the actual ppm of diacetyl used, and we don’t know the ratio of it in comparison to the other chemical compounds, I don’t think it’s safe (or correct) to simply assume it’s as simple as moving the decimal point 4 places (adding three 0’s).

6 Likes