Flattering I guess :)

On the other side of the pond…
http://www.sydneyvapour.com.au

I guess as long as I get credit for it ha ha there just selling the base flavoring right

Hell… I don’t know, I just dislike that they didn’t even have the common courtesy to write it all out, but took the easy way out of just making a screen shot of elr’s recipe page for things

EDIT:
I am all for people making a profit, but personally I would have just inquired to those people (whom the original belonged to), if they minded first. I think that is my biggest beef.
I recall a few months back me asking if anyone would mind me posting a recipe I found good… nobody complained or had a disagreement about it… I never have … but at least I asked about it lol

6 Likes

Not to defend a thief, but
Folks have been stealing each others shit since the beginning of time.
Would you rather someone stole your shit from online, that wasn’t registered or copyrighted
because you didn’t put forth the effort…and $$$$… to get it copyrighted…
or break into your home and stole your shit???
Any idea what it takes to get a patent? I do. Who will go thru that over a recipe for each juice recipe?
If you think that many people give a rats ass about being honest, use common sense, care for one another,
lift each other up when they have an option to make a few bucks…you don’t understand the times we live in.
Doesn’t matter what is right or wrong…just look around yourself.
I can point you to a 1000 different things that are FAR WORSE than someone making $$$ from my e-juice
recipe without permission.
We are so side-tracked from the real problems today.

6 Likes

While that’s true in larger degrees than possibly ever previous, I still don’t believe that’s the case for the majority.

The biggest problem is apathy, or, believing the propaganda that “I don’t have any control over the situation” that’s been pushed (as an active agenda) by some, so that they can seize further control.

Folks have to stand up, voice dissent, express that these practices aren’t acceptable, and when/where you can, TAKE ACTION to make the change you want to see.

To me, that IS one of the real problems of “today”. Yes, I agree that there are bigger problems, but it’s within reason to think that we can make a difference in the “success” of this person’s approach. Maybe they’ll have a flash of insight (or at least pretend to) and retool their method if there’s enough publicity and outrage.

Spread the word to Reddit, YouTube, Vaping Underground, ECF, etc. Hit the bastard where it hurts.

2 Likes

To be honest, I’m not bothered by it…I do find it flattering…and a bit bizarre.

Still would have been happier to be asked first…particularly as it’s already offered as a one-shot by a vendor.

After all, manners cost nothing.

4 Likes

Right lads,just let everyone shit on you because worse happens. Great out look.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to expect or hold someone to the same standards we may have.

If the recipes are in the public domain… they WILL be used.

What if they started using your family photos,just because they’re on Facebook publicly? I think it lessens the value of the recipes on here tbh

1 Like

I think they can actually do that, just read the endless EULA.

2 Likes

That’s the point, there’s nothing stopping anyone from doing it, but common decency usually prevails. I don’t see stealing [as that’s what it is if we’re honest] other people’s ideas as ‘flattering’ to the creator. Ok, maybe you could argue, well, they thought it was good enough to steal … if the recipe was good enough in their eyes, it was good enough to ask permission and offer some form of repayment.

Tbh, the site looks cheap and ugly, I certainly wouldn’t buy from them. And what I see happening is you’ll have people come here and accuse the originals of being the clones.

2 Likes

They even swiped the rhodonite picture from the diy or die website. Wow.

1 Like

Hhaa… I just wrote that I was flattered they are using my recipe!! :slight_smile:

edit: I just have to say this… I’ve always been of the mindset of sharing and being totally happy about doing so. I am happy for someone to ‘make a buck’ from my sharing. Very happy about it. I do wish they would give a little credit where credit is due though. That would be the RIGHT thing to do, in my opinion.

10 Likes

Sydney vapour is just grouping 2 publicly available things together as an easy to get package.

ELR could make a deal with one of the concentrate vendors to allow direct links from the recipe for each flavour used in a recipe.

Or even better, you guys could contact them and make a deal to do group buys with your specific name and recipe.

It’s one thing to share with other mixers, we are all obviously up for that! But some shoddy company just being lazy, swiping recipes, even screen grabs of the original recipes, and making easy money … I see nothing great about that. They’re just hitting the ones that are highly rated on here and other sites. I doubt they care what the recipe is tbh

3 Likes

By definition taking and not giving defines a personality disorder …a common one. It’s just anti-social. Some quote statistics that Anti-Social Personality Disorder (sociopathy) is 4% of the population and 40% of the prison population. I’m feeling your disgust and deeply enjoy the total opposite feel of ELR. I think your distaste for this topic is how opposing it is from the mission of ELR. We cannot diverge from our path here because someone else has…err, thrown a Baby Ruth in the pool.

I don’t think our Society has gone to hell, I think increasing populations have just increased the number of Sociopaths and their influence. :wink: Hey? lets not change the topic to Politics now… hahhahah but have you watched House of Cards? People unable to feel guilt can rise to great heights …for a short while.

4 Likes

Hrmmm… So many thoughts, views and perspectives that I can see and appreciate.

It has to be flattering to be mentioned. No denying that. No quarrel with that. I think the mark of distinction remains the point of origin. When it’s coming from a fellow DIY’er (either new or experienced), it comes from the community. Someone who fully understands and appreciates it for helping facilitate the means to quit tobacco in a way that not only accomplishes the goal, but also brings in (in many cases) a rather unexpected (albeit redirected) substitute for the magnified sense of enjoyment that was achieved artificially by tobacco.

I also (FWIW) don’t have an issue with anyone trying to earn a living. We all know that (I’d estimate) probably 40% of the E-Liquid market is nothing more than clones (or modified attempts at such). Even for the ones that are close, or ì would even include those that copy recipes directly but don’t advertise the fact (both for fear of community backlash, or simply to be able to sell to the uneducated consumer) they are not trying to directly profit directly from the association of, or name recognition, and that’s why I put them in a different category.

This person, as I said before, is nothing but a parasite. And should be treated as such IMO.

There’s so many more things that tie in, but I think this is where my biggest problem lies.

Oh, and then there’s the idea (or at least my impression) that this site was intended for the DIY community, and not for the commercial interests. I have no issue (obviously as I’m one of several folks who’ve suggested that Lars consider) the idea that some form of “vendor-link shopping cart system” should/could be considered to supplement or sustain this great resource we all know and love. But I also easily understand the logistical hurdles that would have to be overcome, in addition to considering the risks of possibly alienating aspects of either/both your mixing base (users) and/or your vendor(s). Given so many have preferences to particular resellers, flavor manufacturers, etc. A difficult river to navigate under the BEST of circumstances. So while I would love to see it, I can truly appreciate the scope of everything that it involves, and what has to be considered.

Anyways… I hope this helps some to better understand where I’m coming from in my previous posts.

3 Likes

You’re gone over my head with a whoooosh there lads :smiley:

My feeling: It’s lousey that these cretins are stealing ideas and selling them on. Plain simple. I hope Wayne does go after them, because he certainly wouldn’t settle for “flattery”. They are literally taking the top rated recipes from here without prejudice. It’s pretty blatant.

3 Likes

Thanks for not replying TL:DR :wink:

1 Like

Game Of Clones, Season 1 really good so far!

@Wayne_Walker hear back from them yet? Must have some legal grounds to raise hell considering they used images off your site too! Plus the fact that you’re actively selling your concentrates to other vendors already.

9 Likes