Flavor Concentrates

It’s not the case with all their fruits. I’m really terrible at describing flavors so you’re better off reading other people’s notes lol It does have a bit of a tang to it.
I would not describe the pineapple like a bright one. More like those slices of pineapples on top of a cake, the ones that have been in an oven and are slightly baked and sweet, more of a darker flavor I’d say.

4 Likes

Shipping is a killer for anything coming from the states, last time I looked it was about $50 US and then the low exchange rate of the aussie dollar makes it worse.

4 Likes

I had a bit of a play with the blueberry and pineapple. The BB seems good and I see what you mean about a little support at first impression, but I have a couple of pairing ideas I’m going to try.
The pineapple impressed me most, I think it might work well in the upside down pineapple cake I’ve been trying to get for a year.
@Sprkslfly the Italian Cream smells great, I’m going to try for coffee milk another one I’ve been searching for a while.
Overall very happy with the new ones, again thanks for the recommendations a bit more playing to see where I land.

6 Likes

I heard Pineapple HS is quite artificial candy taste; try Sugarloaf Pineapple VTA or Funky Pineapple MB if you’re looking for more authentic PA.

4 Likes

If you don’t know the flavor, you shouldn’t steer people away from it… HS Pineapple is not at all a candy pineapple.
It’s pretty authentic but kind of a baked pineapple. It works wonders in bakery liquids.

8 Likes

Ofc tastes are different. Just trying to help and here is why. The best and most reliable source regarding differences in flavors (for me) is Noted. Not because they have some special tasting powers, but simply because they solo taste 20+ particular flavors. And since they do that one after the other in so short period of time (couple of days) they can really ‘‘compare’’ and find all those little differences between the flavors, which one is the most authentic, half–half, baked, jammy, jelly, candy, artificial, green, or weirder than others.

Both, a newbie or quite experienced vaper can get pretty good quick info, pick the exact flavor they are looking for and save TONS of money. For example, @HVPGH is looking for ‘‘the most authentic’’ pineapple (maybe he wants it primarily for drinks for example), while you are advising him a great PA flavor, but which you are tasting baked and it’s more suitable for bakeries (on Noted they say HS PA reminds them on white gummy bears). Based on what they said and on what i read on ELR reviews about these two flavors (i did that for myself a while ago since i am buying again soon), most reviewers on elr share quite similar notes about those two particular flavors and i thought that’s worth sharing.

Noted about Pineapples https://diyordievaping.com/2019/06/11/pineapple-ft-mr-burgundy-noted-ep-102/

4 Likes

I hate to tell you, but that’s COMPLETE bullshit as phrased.

The only way anyone is going to pick the exact flavor they need to use for a specific purpose in a mix, is to have done their own single flavor testing.

Pretty quick, and good info, are all too often very different things.

10 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and link! I understand both points of view and they are equally valid.

3 Likes

Only thing missing IMO was YMMV - flavors are subjective that way. Viva the flavors, they are worth fighting for :wink: :smiley:

3 Likes

Agree. :+1:That is my first impression.

4 Likes

Our own tasting is certainly the only important (when you have those flavors in your hands), but before pushing that buy button, you have to make a decision which one of those 40 flavors might work best for you.

And here is where those tasting notes come to play. I don’t vape any candy or bubblegum fruit flavor (except boysenberry flv ofc) while many like them very much and here those notes come pretty handy (and later i check elr reviews too ofc). And if i’m looking for the best blueberry or strawberry for baking my decision is much easier using Noted than looking on elr reviews or anywhere else. With so many new brands lately the decision what to buy is getting even harder.

Each method has its flaws; if you check ELR ratings (or in how many recipes used) for example, you get pretty screwed info; probably most newbies fall into that (i know i did too). If you rely on others, then 10 vapers would suggest 5 different ‘‘best’’ flavors, and if you ask 10 of them about best strawberry, probably 7 of them will still say Sweet Strawberry CAP or S Ripe TFA are the best. Not to mention that those who tested 20+ flavors side by side might be more credible than others who maybe used way less flavors and can’t really compare, but they can only suggest what works for them. But i agree, only our own testing is important at the end.

3 Likes

Actually… YOU own one tool that is the best… YOUR own tongue.

Depending on anyone or any video, or anything other than YOUR tongue… will not get you far.
Until you buy and try, you haven’t a clue as to what a particular flavor is…

Fact.

byt I can make flv Pineapple… as juicy or as candied or as baked if I want it any which way… why?
because I have put my own work and my own tongue to work

6 Likes

@Mikser look… I’m sorry for snapping your head off the way I did. But such concrete statements, especially when highly inaccurate, really trip my trigger.

I can agree with, and understand that life is made easier for those who do their homework first. To me, that’s a given. Some need to learn that the hard way.

Either way, watching reviewers, and reading written notes can be a very good way to get closer to what you may have in mind. However, this approach still hinges on a basic level of familiarity with “entry” flavors (read as: the most commonly discussed/sold/mixed with flavors) before a new mixer can have a relevant baseline of data to compare their own opinion against that which is being related by someone else.

Can they get an idea of what to start with? Sure.
Can they know whether that flavor will fit their exact expectations from a review? No. Only mixing will answer that.

If someone is only looking for “close enough”, that’s a far cry from using the phrase “exact flavor they are looking for”, and that’s what I take issue with.

There’s some very long established flavor reviewers, who are intimately familiar with and knowledgeable about the flavors they’re talking about with each other. And even then, you’ll find varied points of view within those respected circles.

I just hate the thought of some newbie getting easily disappointed, or being prematurely dissuaded off DIY, because they thought they didn’t have to put in any effort.

Everyone has different ideas of what DIY means to them, and I’ve acknowledged this many times, but even with all the reading, and watching reviews/reviewers we respect, the bottom line for me is, you still have to verify it for yourself. There simply is no easy fix. No one reviewer to listen to, no one person’s notes, or one mixer to follow.

Our tastes are unique. Our tastes are our own.
Celebrate when they line up (generally speaking), and continue to pay attention when they don’t. As even then, I still tend to learn things…

Again, sorry for my initial reaction. But let’s just say your oversimplification got the better of me.

8 Likes

Either you’re confusing me, or you’re confusing yourself… I’ll leave that in the middle.
You start off by saying taste is subjective, then you go on by saying that 10 different people can leave 10 different opinions on flavor notes… so to avoid the confusion, you base your opinion on a show where 1 or 2 people test a flavor (and they often clash in their opinions too on the show)… but because you have less different opinions, those are the right ones? OK

Well, if that works for you, I’m happy for you but it doesn’t quite do it for me. I often agree with the opinions on Noted, it’s not a bad show, but I also often disagree with what they say, about flavors I know and use.

I still think, after all this, you are totally entitled to your opinions. I’m all for freedom of speech and all that, so it’s fine to tell people what you’ve heard. But I just don’t think it’s right that you’re trying to steer people in a certain direction when you have zero experience with the flavor that’s being discussed. What you’ve heard could be totally different from what you’d think about it yourself if you tried it, you just don’t know. And that is a fact, not an opinion.

8 Likes

I live by this! That’s why there’s normally 3 baskets going at once. The last one of the week is all FLV and pineapples in. Just how many others do I want.

7 Likes

I guess it is why I stick to one company…
I know it like the back of my hand… all the tricks, the limits and the fun when I do discover something super cool :wink:

5 Likes

Here here!
That’s why I’ve run “Flavor shootouts” in single flavor testing. I’ve gone through as many as 7 at a time, in one flavor (EG strawberry or raspberry, or brown sugar), to try and learn which one(s) are ones that I’ll be kept for long term use.

I figure that even at $2 a bottle (total avg), that’s only ~$20 invested to find my preference, and I’ll likely not have to buy another for some time to come (barring an unforeseen reformulation that I have no control over).

6 Likes

I have never done one flavor 5 times over with different manufactures…
Always scared I will not either be able to keep up with 5 different strawberries, or screw up and call them all tfa :stuck_out_tongue:

then again… I only do one company… so… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

For me, choice makes the world go 'round!
While I love certain Inawera, or Capella, or FLV, or FA… I’d HATE being limited to just one brand.

I liken it to only being able to eat at one restaurant for the rest of my life… And that just doesn’t fly. LMAO

4 Likes

I personally find different uses for different bands (and mixes thereof) i.e. Strawberry, there are a number of good ones that suit various blends better than others. For my own taste, there is no one perfect one for use in all recipes calling for strawberry.

5 Likes