Flavors coming out peppery

I’d hazard a guess that it’s a combination of what you said. Some people are “super tasters” and can taste many more nuances than others. Some people genetically taste things differently than other people (think PTC, broccoli). Some nic is inherently peppery and some nic gets peppery when it’s overly oxidized. And I think it’s entirely possible that some flavors have a chemical in them that some people can detect and think is peppery.

To me, it’s akin to something like Butyric Acid. Not everyone tastes vomit when they use flavors that contain it, but some do and continue to taste that no matter what percentage they use or how long they let it steep. Other times, it may be a matter of someone over-flavoring or not letting it steep long enough. But I’d say if a person can taste it in anything that contains a flavor with BA, then there’s something to that. Same with the pepper note.

I cannot stand whatever it is that FA uses in their banana or Flavorah uses in Honey Bee. @LordVapor sent me some juice to try and even before I knew the recipe, I could tell those flavors were in two of the bottles. There are other times I think it’s in my head. Just because I know something contains a certain flavor, I believe I taste it a certain way.

All that to come back around to what I said before…nothing is as simple as “it’s the flavor” or “it’s the person.” It’s all mixed up muddle of genetics, a person’s sense of taste (and SMELL), flavors, nicotine, age, batches, etc. Too many variables to make a blanket statement that “It’s this” for everyone. It’s like trying to find that perfect pair of shoes…you keep trying them on until you find the one that fits.

P.S. I am with you on not knowing if that’s what I’m getting. I always call it a “bitey” taste. It’s not pepper per se but there’s definitely something that I can tell is there. I HAVE detected it using TPA VBIC and also in, oddly, FA’s Black Tea.

6 Likes

That all sounds too logical. Who are you again? What are you doing here with all this logic mumbo jumbo? :laughing:

4 Likes

Damn good explanation! As interesting as it all is, it comes down to trying things and finding things you like. I’m trying some new nic too so who knows.

2 Likes

Thinking about it a little more, the other thing that made me think it was the nic was that my first stinky in the morning always tore my throat up. It was like after the first one my throat was anesthetized if that makes any sense. My 6% nic juices do that to me now too but I don’t want to have to put up with the initial burning anymore. I don’t crave the throat hit.

2 Likes

Yep and since cigarettes purportedly do contain anesthetics that makes perfect sense. Not a bad thing to drop the nic if it’s causing problems, though. You could also try something like smooth or MTS Vape Wizard, but it’s gonna flatten out flavors too.

3 Likes

I’m a little late to this, sorry, but @JoJo summed it up better than I’d could anyway lol. I just want to add to this that I started my mixing with 0 mg nic, so for me that wasn’t the culprit at least. TPA Strawberry Ripe yes. TPA VBIC yes. TPA Strawberry Ripe + TPA VBIC = :boom:

I have found ways to work around Ripe though, but not VBIC: I need to keep it under 3 %. I need to use it with other SB, preferably a stronger one, like Shisha or Red Touch. I need to keep the other SB at a higher % than Ripe. It needs to be in a all fruit mix - although I can use it with Marshmallow. Mixed with creams the “pepper” (or bite) comes out. I need to vape it low watts, so I only use MTL for those mixes. There, I think that was all lol.

Trying a 0 mg nic mix with Ripe seems like a good idea though; at least you’ll know if it’s one or the other. :thumbsup:

6 Likes

Lots of people report peppery taste from the TFA vanilla and ice cream flavors. There has to be a way to narrow down which component is giving people this effect.

1 Like

That would be great. Maybe @Pentine is the right man for the job; I think he has a binder or two of useful information :wink:

3 Likes

This thread is so helpful to me. My suspicions are validated and I am getting a sense of direction for experimenting with the flavors and nic. Really great content to this thread.

1 Like

I already saw the post! Gonna see what ingredients they have in common when I get home :slight_smile:

@JoJo
When I found out cigarettes had analgesics in them everything made a lot more sense as to why they went down so easily without giving you a sore throat. Very nasty deception.

5 Likes

you could throw Tpa vanilla custard in there as well if it helps narrow down the pepper culprit :wink:

2 Likes

Perfect, I was just about to ask everyone for all the flavors that have this effect.

TFA Cheesecake
TFA Ripe Strawberry
TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
TFA Vanilla Custard
TFA DX Sweet Cream
TFA White Chocolate?

FA Black Tea

Any others that people find peppery?

2 Likes

I’d say that you’ll at least have a very good starting point there. Looking forward to the results of your investigation! Remember to eat something on the third day lol

2 Likes

It appears that the Butyrate is what is causing this peppery taste. If I am correct, it is in the same family as Butyric Acid (Don’t quote me on that, I am not a chemist). I could also be the Maltol they use or the Vanillin but I doubt it is the Vanillin as it is not in SB Ripe (The one on the very left).

If it is the Butyrate, this does not bode well for anything related to Butanoaic/ Butyric type compounds used in these flavors. It may not effect everyone, but something that works universally for everyone would, in my opinion, be a better flavor overall. Less tailoring mixes from person to person.

EDIT: Left to right>
Ripe, VBIC, Custard, Cheesecake
DX Sweet Cream on bottom left

6 Likes

And this is not so common in other flavors?

1 Like

Searching by CAS number, it appears that it is very common in quite a few flavors, more than would fit in one screen.

Though, if you notice in the previous picture, it is higher on the list meaning it is used at a higher % than the other ingredients. Perhaps the other flavors that contain, it don’t use as much.

CAS No. is: 105-54-4

You can search the TFA database, click list and it will bring up the compounds in each flavor. At a glance, the other flavors don’t use it as much as the ‘peppery’ ones do.

6 Likes

This is great - thank you for looking into this! Very interesting.

1 Like

Awesome work petal :smiley:

3 Likes

I find if you let TFA VBIC steep a while longer around 1 month the black pepper note is not obvious or is gone depending on what % it is used at. For me if it’s anything over 2% I’m going to know it’s in there so I give it a month for sure and it’s great no black pepper taste. Because I got tired of the black pepper note showing up I switched brands to LB ( Liquid Barn ) to their VIC - vanilla ice cream …there is no black pepper note ever and I can SnV the juice if I want but give it another 3-4 weeks and it’ll be the most buttery sweet ice cream you’ll have ever vaped ! So before you write off ice creams check LB’s out !

5 Likes

All great stuff here! I’ve noticed too that as I lower nic, which is happening naturally, the peppery taste diminishes. I have no idea if it’s cumulative or an interaction though. I also tried reducing TPA Strawberry (ripe) and I found I really like that flavor. I put it back, lol.

1 Like