Flavour Warnings - I Don't Get It

I have a question about something I saw on the site. What’s with the warning list? For example the Almond I believe says something about it being not safe because it has oil in it (Not water soluble). What is meant by that? What sort of precautions would one take in that instance?

4 Likes

Welcome aboard! You can officially say hello here: Be polite and introduce yourself! There are many thing that you may or may not be concerned about so thankfully those warnings are listed. Since you are new to mixing i would do some reading and see what may or not concern you and decide for yourself. There are many threads here discussing the topic so you can begin here with a simple “flavor warnings” search and then extend the same to other similar forums. There are 2 ways to look at it if you are a previous smoker. You could think smoking was far worse then any “vapable” ingredient and not be bothered or you could go the extra step and care more about your body and what you now inhale. Good luck to you!

5 Likes

I see. So it’s not a matter of what mixes with what sort of thing?

3 Likes

Welcome to ELR! This is a great place to ask questions like this. Searches can save a lot of time, because questions pop up a lot and likely have threads that already answered them.

You may have mistakenly purchased a concentrate that is oil soluble. Oil and lungs are not friends. Can you post a link to the flavor’s flavor page here?

4 Likes

Welcome
I have the same question about (I think was) Toasted Almond TPA. How it can not be water soluble when it contains water? And were it comes from that it contain oil? TPA sds doesn’t say anythink about oil.
Edit: I search for the flavour in database and I can’t find this warnings anymore.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Lorann is the brand that you have to watch out for the most. Keep in mind that the flavors we use are used in other things and whats safe to ingest may not be to inhaled. https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/best-lorann-super-strength-flavors-for-vaping-–-color-coded-spreadsheet.832093/

4 Likes

This may be an interesting article to read about the subject
https://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/ashtray-blog/2015/08/e-cigarettes-lipoid-pneumonia.html

(don’t be turned off immediately by the mention of Yahoo News in the beginning of the article :wink: the interesting part comes afterwards)

As long as you don’t know what the warning for a flavor means, I suggest you do not vape it for your own safety. Search the forum for an answer and if you cannot find one, come back with questions. Once you know what it means, you can make an educated decision whether you want to take the risk vaping it or not.

2 Likes

Why would anyone manufacture flavor concentrate that isn’t safe for vaping?

1 Like

Sry, i forgot to say arrogant to think that they are…cooking, baking, candy making all been 'round way before vaping.

6 Likes

LorAnn wants nothing to do with vaping. They make flavors to be eaten, not vaped. Most flavor companies are food and beverage oriented, and happen to make water soluble flavors we can use. They embraced the vaping community after the early mixers started using their flavors, and found it lucrative to taylor to us later. There are a couple of them that cater to vaping specifically, like Flavorah: Built from the ground up just for vaping.

7 Likes

Do you mean to say that these concentrates can be cooked with?

1 Like

In the case of LorAnn in particular, that was their sole purpose.

Amoretti was another company that makes flavors, however, theirs are primarily targeting the beverage industry.

In the early days of vaping, DIY mixers had to pick from what was available.

As time and research has progressed, people became aware of what is and IS NOT suitable for vaping from the flavors that were specifically designed and sold for beverage and cooking purposes.

Oil in flavoring for vaping is a No-go regardless of the manufacturer, or the originally intended market. Lungs don’t process oil.

7 Likes

Yes, might want to take a look at this site:

Please note the various uses and flavor bases.

6 Likes

Just to clarify, this is how they view it, as they do make some flavors that are water soluble and quite good to vape. Their Cheese Cream Icing is water soluble and very popular, among others. But, many of their flavors are for making candy and contain oil.

Flavor companies existed lonnnnng before the advent of vaping.

7 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Noob here. Will the bottles say on them if they have oil or are water soluble?

2 Likes

@DRG413, this link should be all you need. I’m not familiar with the info included on their labeling.

3 Likes

Nice. Very Helpful. I did buy the Cream cheese icing, and a holiday spice from TFA Gonna make a spice cake with cream cheese icing flavor. My favorite dessert as a kid. Where would I find out how much of each flavor to use?

1 Like

I have both of those, I’d go 1% Cream Cheese Icing and 0.5% to 1% Holiday Spice.

1 Like

But, the real answer to you question (as I totally didn’t answer it above, just jumped in with a suggestion!) is to make sure they’re properly input into your flavor stash, open their flavor pages and find all the notes and recommendations, median %, etc. This will give you a starting point to start single flavor testing. Start low and work your way up.

But if you just want to toss them together at my recommend %, that’s cool, too. Just not as accurate or beneficial to your goal of mixing with flavors you truly understand.

4 Likes