Free Choice Vaping in Australia is dead

That’s what I’ll be doing. Hopefully things will calm down and eventually we’ll be able to source stuff we need.
Some ppl have had some gear get through from chinese sites and not labeled as vape in anyway.

We weren’t expecting customs to seize flavours etc. there was a lot of talk that they would not be affected because they are used in many industries but obviously customs got a different memo…
I haven’t read the changes to the bill that was recently passed though…

3 Likes

As far as I know pg/vg & flavours were not specifically mentioned in the bill but my understanding is the fallout of customs seizing the latter is what is causing the one business so far, to voluntarily close but I have no evidence of this, it’s just chatter.

I’m not surprised though. How are businesses supposed to manage dealing with customs to get their seized goods back all the time in addition to running their business? That would be a real headache.

5 Likes

Im just completely baffled. I never thought a country that is supposed to be a democracy ciuld ever get away with this. Well may e thats being a little naive but still smh. I wonder if VTA knew this was comi g and that why they didnt rebrand themselves

4 Likes

As far as vape gear. Iv heard from a few people in austrailia that all the vape gear they ordered from aliexpress got through to them with no prob. Just thought this may be helpful

3 Likes

VTA would have at least suspected vaping was going to be crushed in Australia and probably had a good idea that flavours would be targeted too.
Their very name was enough to seal their fate but I don’t know how much rebranding would help. To be honest I didn’t know they had.

4 Likes

You’re baffled, just think how Australians feel. If you listen to our national anthem it says “ We are young and free”.
That needs to be changed.

5 Likes

In theory yes but it’s all such a mess it’s hard to know what’s going on.
I anticipated some tick box thing or the customer having to prove their purchase isn’t for vaping. It’s very hard to see how PG/VG could be removed from sale

But as I say these laws are so badly conceived it’s more than a complete disaster. I even saw a female politician on tv the other day saying “ we know vaping destroys the atmosphere”.

4 Likes

That is a great example of why I don’t watch the telly much anymore. It does my head in.
I know I laughed but it’s not even funny.

5 Likes

After going through I’m in the same boat, pretty much not worth the order. I have enough randoms anyway, I’ve been topping carts up for years.

Only thing I know :wink: I’m experimenting again with some of my less thirsty rtas, the amount of liquid I used previously never concerned me.

Once I get down to tobacco flavours I’ll think again, I never thought it would come to this, but I started rationing a while back. Hence why you don’t see many mixes from me anymore I could never make testers without Nic.

4 Likes

I haven’t done that but guess I’m lucky in a way, since quitting the nic I have naturally transitioned to vaping a lot less, not even two tanks a day most days (unless I’m in the car). So hubby benefits - he gets my nic and now the flavours will last a bit longer too :grin:

3 Likes

I had an email from JnJ (previously Juice n Junk) the other day saying they are still operating normally for concentrates as they serve the food industry,

9 Likes

That’s smart. Hopefully others will do the same.

4 Likes

I had forgotten about them until I also got the email.
Liquiddiy are still operating too.

I think flavourworld the only ones closing but I have wondered whether they may close & rebrand.

Just wait and see I guess.

5 Likes

It’s weird, I thought they rebranded to “Flavour World” originally to avoid being regarded as a vaping supplier a few years ago. At least that was the story they had for the rebrand at the time.

4 Likes

I thought that too but I suppose if their imports are being confiscated due to being deemed linked to vaping then they can’t replenish stock.
Only time will tell who will or is allowed to survive. I doubt the government cares what any business is actually named and as suspected good honest Australian businesses will go under whilst the black market will flourish.
Unfortunately I suspect some vapers will become desperate and inadvertently use something they shouldn’t such as oils. Many wouldn’t have mixed their own juice before and could make either an uneducated or desperate purchase. The media will jump on that and evil vaping will be blamed but not the successive prohibitive laws implemented.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, I think you are right. The media is already touting things here in SA that is blatantly untrue such as “Vapes are proven to cause lung damage” which I hear on the radio daily. People desperation and the flourishing black market are a recipe for disaster IMHO and the “Gooberment” couldn’t give a rats.

6 Likes

Exactly.
Their only care is to recoup at least some of the lost revenue from tobacco sales.

6 Likes

Well they did but everyone knows that, so would the “authorities” or anyone with a vested interest in shutting down the industry :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

True enough @Sevencasper which is a shame for them. They tried to do what they could but “our” Government is just as corrupt as can be. They certainly aren’t here for us anymore (presuming they ever were of course).

4 Likes

This whole situation makes me sick.

The must stupid part is that this whole “anti vaping” campaign and enforcing the pharmacy model has allowed big tobacco in, by supplying pharmacies with vapes.

This from reddit (not the best source :joy:)

https://www.reddit.com/r/aussievapers/s/eexcfDWa5F

The linked article is a year old.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jul/07/philip-morris-making-deals-with-australian-pharmacies-to-supply-below-cost-vaping-products

4 Likes