Furfuryl alcohol

Let’s talk about this? Is this another DA/AP scare? Comments? I’ve run across a few flavors with this warning and trying to figure it out.

5 Likes

https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+711

3 Likes

IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans Volume 119
“Some Chemicals That Cause Tumours of the Urinary Tract in Rodents”

For a comprehensive and recently published Section on Furfuryl Alcohol, see Pages 83-114:

6.3 Overall evaluation - Furfuryl alcohol is possibly carcinogenic to humans (Group 2B).

Source: https://publications.iarc.fr/575

2 Likes

YES !!! I think it IS the REAL devil @authormichellehughes. I might have two, but for sure, TPA Pie Crust was one, and I stopped using it.

Contains Furfuryl alcohol which may cause cancer. See http://bit.ly/2itXnZO

Source: https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/specsheetlist.aspx?cas=98-00-0

I don’t think this is a NEW scare, hell I personally think it might be far WORSE of a scare, but it’s much QUIETER than the Dik/Dap/Ace scare.

Michelle, all I can do is offer up my own CONTRADICTION. I’ve given up on trying to be Dik free, BUT, I draw the line at furfuryl. Why, I have no clue, but it’s a line I’ve drawn in the sand. I would advise strongly to AVOID this if you can, but, that’s coming from a Dik’er, so your mileage may vary.

6 Likes

With my COPD stuff I don’t need more things to worry about … better safe than sorry

4 Likes

NEVER a bad idea Michelle. I’m no chemist, or scientist, but from what I read up on it, it just didn’t seem worth it. I’ll look around to see if any OTHER of my flavs have that, but I think I ditched them already.

3 Likes

@Ronni 's google doc on some flavors containing alcohol does list a few tpas with it but not sure if other brands w/ furfuryl simply arent listed. There are probably sheets out there with more brands listed.

2 Likes

Looking At Nic Rivers site, Wonder Flavors has quite a few flavors with it.

3 Likes

Perhaps the mere appearance of the term “carcinogenic” imbues more cautions than does “cytotoxicity” ?

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up.
Not sure if these warnings have just been added, but I hadn’t seen them before. They’re going straight to the bin, not worth the risk.

3 Likes

That really broke my heart because I wanted to try their glaze doughnut

2 Likes

add WF glazed doughnut to that list had it in my basket and decided to check ELR before buying. I’m still chasing a REAL doughnut flavor without having to work my butt off with different flavors to get there. Guess I’m still on the lookout for a REAL glazed doughnut flavor. Heard some great things about maple bar and Sweet dough together for a maple doughnut but that doesn’t fix the glazed part. Reviews on the donut from FLV weren’t good… so afraid to make that leap in flavor… keeping it real… one more edit… the maple bar is definitely a sweet maple flavor with a hint of doughnut have tried that one

2 Likes

Personally I think that there is no cause for concern (but that is me)

National Toxicology Program (NTP) reported evidence of carcinogenic activity in both male (nasal) and female (nasal and renal) rats (NTP, 1999). In these studies, signs of severe irritation were observed following inhalation (250 ppm for 16 days) including labored breathing, decreased activity, and nose and eye discharge. Increases in lung eosinophils were observed in both male and female rats, suggesting that furfuryl alcohol exposure may have an impact on immunologic responses.

Evaluation of Furfuryl Alcohol Sensitization Potential Following Dermal and Pulmonary Exposure: Enhancement of Airway Responsiveness - PMC

250ppm on every single breath they took (disregarding that fact that human and rat lungs behave very differently).
So let’s break it down a little.

The concentration of furfuryl alcohol in a given concentrate (i can’t find specifics for glazed doughnut but working on comparable concentrates 0.2%)

Used at 3% your 100ml of liquid would contain .006 grams of furfuryl alcohol (60 ppm) - I am not going to break down the amount you would get when you inhale your vapour but I would suggest that it is infinitesimally small plus not every breath you take is a vape.

I would suggest that it is not worth worrying about, however, risk is something that has to be self accessed.

10 Likes

Did you try my OMG? I think I sent that one to you, I forget…

2 Likes

I didn’t get the OMG? Can’t find that one on ELR either?

2 Likes

Smoky said similiar and I’m sure it’s so minuscule it’s not a worry. I obviously don’t care about the other things, I’ve vaped Vanilla custard cap for a while with no issues. If you put cancer on something I just freak out it’s my nature.

2 Likes

Ya I hear you, but I have since found (but lost again) a recommendation for humans that is considered safe which was 10ppm for 10 hrs per day which ball park means you could maybe vape any juice that has 60 ppm once every 6 breaths for 10 hours a day (i dunno the math on that one someone smarter can work it out) but still a super small amount (which also doesn’t take into account - does the furfuryl alcohol even stay in a mix through the steep process or the vapourisation process).

5 Likes

it’s here:

3 Likes

Think of the “alcohol” [as there are a few different types] as salt for your food [flavors] . One really needs them [do not breathe them] to help the juices mature so fast. It is not bad, it will not harm, and some just like to raise a [stink] about said alcohols in mixes. Especially in the ultra flavors…

4 Likes

I gave in an ordered WF donut and going to mix it with FLV sweet dough to see if that is the answer to the glazed donut I truly want. Zepolla is okay, but it’s more cakey with a spice than glazed. As with all things I want I will fight until I find this perfect glazed doughnut for me LOL I shall not GIVE UP

3 Likes