Gardening and Hydroponics (food shortages)

This is really cool, actually… Imagine you can do it yourself for quit a bit cheaper… As the leaves fall in the winter time, my place gets a fair bit of sun and although indoors and with the aid of one of the 8 lights I bought I could get some form of veg or fruits on the grow.

4 Likes

Parts came in

7 Likes

One built one more to go

5 Likes

Need to build a shelf system to put my 4 foot lights

6 Likes

Glad you said that. Those lights in your picture might not have enough output. IDK

5 Likes

5 Likes

Yeah, I have 4 white and 4 pink full spectrum. Will stagger on a shelf and I have 4 more coming

5 Likes

Was told thos small ones are good enough for starting seeds, so I grabbed that firat

5 Likes

@TorturedZen @Stankhammer

I just chopped a Zkittles and a Gelato (autos) this morning… have 2 more to chop in about 2 weeks.

@anon44012888 unless your going to be growing a “cover” type crop of something… those lights will not do very much.

5 Likes

I would think your starter lights and the ambient light coming in your window would be enough for starting. I don’t think( no research in by part) that most leafy greens need the same intensity or photoperiod( amount of light to darkness) as say cannabis lol. Having fun is the main thing my friend!
I have grown garlic chives and basil as a deterrent to insects. Lol and I like the chive on my perogies

4 Likes

Next thing you’ll be doing is making your own calcium.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have others ready to work, about all I did was plug them in to make sure they worked but have seen videos and reddit testimonies as to their effectiveness for mostly leafy greens… In total I’d like to have about 16 with alternating colours on timers… As far as I can tell most of the times in veg state for other veggies it’ll be around 16 hours a day… Essentially, salad greens, bok choy, herbs and the like are being grown… Kratky will be for bigger plants like peppers and 2x tomatoes. and peas…

I have the containers for everything, I will use what nutrients I have for now, which is Advanced Nutrient but the closest Hydro place near me actually carries that Gaia stuff, so will pick up a few tubs of that at the end of the month.

Yeah, I’m a big thai basil guy, I love the thai food at a local place here but it’s not all that hard to grow from what the owner said as they grow their own vegetables. So half of my dirt container, the long white ones, is all thai basil and from my understanding it flowers nicely near the end so you can pollinate or do whatever you want with, the flowers are edible as well.

I have 8lbs of brown rice right now, another 8 on order… Next pay day will be the dried beans and what not, if not for me, for my mother who is struggling right now.

5 Likes

Should also add that those lights are 4x4’ lights for under 100 dollars

4 Likes

eggcellent?

4 Likes

Magnesium is as simple as epsom salts

3 Likes

The Gaia you’ll be needing to do a little more research as you’ll be feed the soil and not the plant. With liquids your feeding the plants. You will need some ewc earth worm casting. Read up on mycelium. Lol enjoy the journey.

3 Likes

Drop us a picture!

3 Likes

@robin @Sevencasper Hear me out… I have a shit load of carrots, garlic, thai chilies, sugar, salt, peppercorns and thai basil…

Thinking of using a potato peeler and making thin strips of carrots, add a thai chili or two in half w/ seeds and some sugar, salt, vinegar and 2-3 cloves of garlic… Think that’d be good?

3 Likes
3 Likes

That sounds good, I’ve been meaning to pickle some carrots for ages - I keep forgetting.

If you want the pickle to last you’ll need to add vinegar - there are tons of “carrot pickle” recipes online.

3 Likes