Gardening and Hydroponics (food shortages)

Right before chopping on the 14th…

And the 2 that still have about a week (picture about an hour ago…

I have started pressing my final (dried) material into rosin recently…
as a side note, I have both a patient card and cultivation license for my personal use here in Missouri (misery).

EDIT:
This pic is/was from my last grow of GSC (Girl Scout Cookies) and Gorilla Glue…

9 Likes

Tent is great. You should be able to eliminate male plants.

4 Likes

I only grow females…
females are easier to handle and manage…
A SEXIST WOULD SAY…
lololol

5 Likes

My understanding is male plants expend their growth energy on producing seed. The female plants use all their energy producing THC. Since seed is bisexual the controlling the amount of light you can control sex of the plant. I was told this from licensed commercial grower in Michigan.

4 Likes

In other words stressing the plant will cause hermaphroditism.

6 Likes

4 plants per house hold is what’s legal in Ontario. No one said how big you can grow them!

6 Likes

Your close… male plants (or as @Stankhammer is mentioning a hermed female) will produce pollen not seeds… the pollen produced by the male will pollinate a female plant. If that happens the female plant will expend its energy to produce seeds instead of just colas or “buds”. When I purchase seeds I specifically purchase seeds that “shouldn’t” be male.

EDIT:
There are advanced ways (not too hard but most people don’t do it (I haven’t)), to make a female plant to produce pollen… normally done with colidal silver I believe. The pollen produced is “female pollen” and can be used to pollinate female plants which in turn would make the plant produce female seeds… which is basically how a person can purchase seeds that are known to be female and not a seed that will produce a male plant.
Just FYI

8 Likes

What a great read you guys are putting on. Blast from the past. I did some basement growing back in the late 70s early 80s. I used four 4 ft Grow Lux Power Twist florescent bulbs. (still have them in the basement rafters).

The amount of info available back then was minuscule compared to today, with the internet. You’d buy a book. Follow it. Test the soil ph, and plant some seeds you had saved. Started with 12 plants, and yanked the ones that were struggling, as they grew, and space was shrinking.

Kept the lights on 24/7 during the growth stage. Ended up with 4 plants, that were pushing the limits of the available space. At that point, I started an eight hour cycle of darkness, which was supposed to allow the plants sex to appear. Ended up with 2 males & 2 females. Got rid of the males and kept the females. The buds got so big, I had to support them with fishing line from above. That stuff was incredible. It would shave off IQ points.

I’ve considered getting another set up going. Not sure if it’s worth the effort & expense. Being in Michigan, we can drive to the dope store, and choose from a huge selection. MI allows 12 plants for personal consumption. It might be worth it to give it another go. It was fun. This thread has re-lit the fire a bit.

Great job guys!

9 Likes
8 Likes

Beautiful plants and colas!

5 Likes

@rcleven
There are a few methods for achieving female-only plants.
Like @CallMeTut mentioned, you can get feminized seeds which eliminates seedling males from sprouting.
Then there is taking cuttings or clones from a “mother plant” (my preferred method). Using this method you get the exact genetic profile and characteristics the mother has. I’ve seen clones from a mother that went back to early 2000-2005. With no breakdown in the DNA.
Third is crap shoot…just plant some seeds and hope you get some females. The problem with this is the time it takes to grow the plants until they start maturing before you’re able to ‘sex’ them and identify the males.

9 Likes

Beautiful beautiful beautiful !!!

5 Likes

Where do you live? We really need something like that here in upstate NY. The tap water is terrible here. I don’t even water my plants with it.

6 Likes

I’m up in Canada but I found a site with crowdsourced springs. Good luck.

6 Likes

Wow @big_vape that’s a neat site. It DOES however look like we got screwed in the state of Delaware in the US however. :frowning:

6 Likes

Damn, look at that. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

looking

I wonder where you’ll find water?

2 Likes

Where in Canada do you live.? I live about 30 minutes from the border.

3 Likes

I live in a a town called Whitby. Half a hour east of Toronto or directly south across the lake from Buffalo NY

3 Likes

Wow, so close. I absolutely love Toronto…

5 Likes