Has anyone had anything vape related explode, or blow up?

At least 7/10 of the incidents in the video are loose batteries shorting/ 2 of the incidents were mechs and only one incident which concerns me. As far as the pocket/purse loose batteries I have had it happen but they never explode on me. They vented. My understanding is that the high drain batts we use are designed to vent and thereby not explode. My guess is the battery wraps were severely compromised and contact with keys/coins caused a hard short.

Personally i am done with mechs and would like to see proper education around safety requirements in place for the purchase of mechanical devicesā€¦

The incident in the video with the man in the warehouse concerns me because the man is holding what could be a regulated device he drops it right before it explodes though which means it gave some warning (heat most likely)

6 Likes

lithium ion batteries scare the shit out of meā€¦I worked as a mechanic for the Post office for 25 yearsā€¦I have seen many battery packs go offā€¦we had a charging room to bring batteries to rechargeā€¦but they also went off in the work areas alsoā€¦ I have done a lot of reading on li ionā€™s and there is like 6-7 chemistries in batteriesā€¦the safest is either IMR or INRā€¦the others can result in a violent ventā€¦

i have metal charging boxes i use to put my chargers inā€¦like ammo cansā€¦

A frtiend of mine bouight an expebsive droneā€¦well he chargered the batteries in garageā€¦he woke one night to see the garage a blazeā€¦well after the fire marshalls did the investigation ā€¦the cause was the batteriesā€¦

please check your wraps every time u take batts outā€¦charge in a safe placeā€¦i will never charge in a modā€¦dont leave house when charging or stop the chargeā€¦get a metal bread box an some thing simular to place chargers in while charging an in a safe placeā€¦

u seen what one batt can do if it goes offā€¦imagine a 4 or 8 batt charger going off cause of one faulty oneā€¦

be safe my brother an sistersā€¦its no joke

9 Likes

Ive had a battery vent and catch fire, due to my negligence last year. but i was fishing a couple years ago, out on the lake and my friend had a bite on his line, he panicked ( which i still dont get) because he CLAIMED to be an avid fishermen but anyway he put a 18650 in his pocket with some keys. It exploded. His right pant leg caught fire. He suffered 3rd degree burns on his leg and hand. If it was me i would have jumped in the lake . It was terrible though. He told the er doc that a flashlight battery exploded in his pocket. He didnā€™t tell them it was vape related, it technically wasnā€™t. He didnā€™t want any negative kickback to the vape community. because of his error.

12 Likes

"I hope it stops someone from [smoking electronic cigarettes]. I donā€™t know how many more people will have to die.ā€

definitely feels that way whats with the brackets inside a quote? technically this has nothing to do with ā€œvapingā€ just battery safety which vape shops online retailers battery manufacturers etc should be forced to educate their customers. But yea sad sad stuff

edit: i literally googled brackets inside quote its when writers put their own words inside a quote as I suspectedā€¦ so this is obviously targeted to demonize vaping

9 Likes

No neverā€¦the closest thing was a stupid mistake. We were going on a weekend trip when I packed my bag I left the batteries the charger. We got to the hotel and threw my bag on the bed and unzipped it to find at that second one of the batteries shorted out on the charger and started to burnā€¦charger and batteries when out the window!!! A minute later my whole bag would have been in flames. I always pack my batteries in plastic cases that time I was in such a hurry I didnā€™tā€¦ never again.

6 Likes

I was going to let this go but I thought about it and I really want to say a few things.

I hate to see the words Ban or Regulate applied to anything vape related for a few reasons.

A ban or heavy regulation left with the governments of our world - do you really think they would even come close to getting it right? A ban is an abdication of personal responsibility what is really needed is the ability of a vape shop to educate.

Bans are only ever called for when the person suggesting a ban is unaffected by it - after all who would want to ban something that they use everyday. I would assume you are against the Flavour bans that are cropping up in the USA as what they are doing will affect you so you are against it - what you propose is doing to others what they are doing to you - which in my opinion isnā€™t right.

Given the current climate in the vape world if any regulations were bought in anywhere they would likely be draconian and cover batteries as well as any mods after all it is the batteries that can explode if mishandled.

Education is the answer bans are not.

I donā€™t mean to call you out specifically even though it sort of comes across that way but I really donā€™t like seeing the word BAN on this forum & I see it more and more.

13 Likes

Well spokenā€¦

9 Likes

Believe me i do not trust governments or agree with liberty being taken away from us in any form ā€œto protect the childrenā€ After careful consideration i retract my statement. My thinking was along the lines of those who really want one could still obtain one. I vaped nothing but mechs for 3years and count my lucky stars i never had an incident. I do not understand the need for them any longer. That said, my inability to understand the desire of others does not warrant a call to action by a nanny state. I believe education on safety as you stated is a better alternative. #changedmymind

9 Likes

As a daily mech user, i realize that there isnā€™t a ā€œneedā€ and the same vape wattage can be achieved nowadays but the same experience is not. There is more i get out of using a mech then just a nic fix. I see more personality in a mech then a boring plastic box w/ wires in it. There is satisfaction in building to what wattage u prefer without the ability to simply turn it up or down. I take pride in maintaining mechs so they perform well and lookā€¦ well sexy, something i dont see w/ most regulated. Take it as hobby if u will and w/ many other things that have evolved w/ the times such as cars. Perhaps not the best analogy but antique car owners take pride in them even tho they can drive around in a newer one.
While not totally directed at you @mixologist13 you indirectly asked the question asked of me before. That question does have me stop and think hmm? perhaps that may help w/ why we do what we do.

10 Likes

I held onto my belief that mechs were superior longer than i wish i had. After converting to a regulated mod i have far less teching to do, i get a consistent hit time and again. With a mech, sure you can build to specs (as do i on my rda) but the battery drops off soon enough and im left unsatisfied. I vape a lot! And do not wish to chsnge my battery out every 45min-1hour. Also i pour place and finish concrete for a living and the dust and debris wreaks havoc on a mech and creates a safety hazardā€¦

Edit: I also no longer vape straight lung hits either and now prefer a more restricted lung hit with a MTL finish lol #toeachhisown

5 Likes

All this talk about mechs, I just had to go fire one up. I have to say there is something about a mech that is cool although I rarely use them. Never drove a battery into thermal runaway. No fires, no booms. Closest I came was a mod that would fire constantly whenever you put the batteries in it. Obviously it was easy to spot and I didnā€™t let go long enough to cause any damage to anything. It was a regulated mod so maybe it would have shut down before serious damage was done. I donā€™t know. I didnā€™t let it continue.

I consider a vaping device as a low risk article. I have hand many more destructive accidents with things such as cars, lifting heavy items, cooking, being around people with illnesses, etc. Having said that, I have a hell of a lot of respect for vaping batteries. Immense amount of power in a small package.

11 Likes

I had a battery vent on the charger just last week. The Sherlock Ohm ones. The wrapping was shitty and I did not see it. The wrapper peeled just enough to make metal on metal contact. Rewrapped all those fuckers and no issue since that.

9 Likes

I had an old vape pen autofire then the battery vented. The firing did not auto shut off after 10 seconds. It was only by the grace of god that I was home and sitting in the same room as the device.

6 Likes

The old devices I had heard local stories of batteries venting but those were in unregulated devices and wellā€¦ honestly, the folks were TRYING to do it under controlled circumstances. When this happens, I want to say its like 99.995% user error, but it might be 99.994%ā€¦ sad to see, but also some aspects (building coils/vape mods/mixing juiceā€¦ it might be second natureā€¦ or first natureā€¦ to some of you vape mugs out thereā€¦

Itā€™s second nature to us, easier than cooking boxed mac/cheese. To newer generations that the first vape thing they see is a vape pod or tide pod or boogy woo, whateverā€¦ they have no history or experience that we have about ā€¦venting batteries or knowing how to heat coils from the inside out and how to get hotspots outā€¦ sad to seeā€¦ and I donā€™t think stores are allowed to assist with that anymore :frowning:

8 Likes

Well said, and I agree. But itā€™s still on the individual to do the research and educate themselves just like we had to. Seems the newer generation has less patience and way more entitlement which could be detrimental to things vape related.

10 Likes

ā€œOh, you been doing it for 8 yearsā€¦ wellā€¦ I just started 3 days agoā€¦ I know wtf iā€™m doingā€ lmao thatā€™s not towards you but the general ā€œmy way is always rightā€ kinda deal with new folks Iā€™ve been seeing. This is strictlyā€¦ likeā€¦ B&M stores and not here on any forums ive seen

8 Likes

Closest Iā€™ve come was the other night: charging my little iStick Pico with a USB cord (yeah I know I know).

After taking some random hit like any other, the tank kept hissing after Iā€™ve released the button.

I look at it a few seconds, tap the button a few times to make sure it wasnā€™t stuck - wasnā€™t stuck at all.

The tank continues hissingā€¦

Iā€™ve Iooked at it a few moments longer, until I started smelling burning circuit board: thatā€™s when I pulled the cord, unscrewed the battery cap and tipped the fucker on the floor and even while I was doing that the tank never stopped hissing.

Sucks though: I loved how pocket-sized that little mod was.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve had two mods do that to me. Both eleafs. After taking them apart, I found that the boards were not protected at all so any juice that found itā€™s way in would seep onto the silicone contact pads acting as a type of glue that holds the pad down (and the flimsy contacts underneath) even if the outer buttons arenā€™tā€¦ Chances are that the USB charging had nothing to do with the malfunction, but no guarentee. I only have one eleaf mod now and Iā€™m leery of it.

4 Likes

Ooohā€¦ yeah right thatā€™s not class-A manufacturing is it.

I havenā€™t pulled it apart yet, though if I get bored one day I might - see if itā€™s gooped-up since Iā€™m pretty confident the board is ratshit now anyway :frowning:

Then thereā€™s the eLeaf iJust2 tank and mod: three years old and they both still work beautifully - I even found a new coil for the tank the other day and the internal batteryā€™s still holding a charge like a pro.

2 Likes

i just read this thread.

i have never had a blow up or even a vent. nor have i had to replace a wrap because of damage. 2 years vaping.

but. i did haave a mech autofire, it was a stack. i had an active build in it, left the batteries in it. left it on my shelf here. after about 2 weeks of not touching it, i heard a firing noise. iā€™m like WTF, i grabbed the mod i was using, nope. then i found the auto firing mod and unscrewed it apart. the switch was not extended, and there was no juice anywhere. why it autofired, i have no idea. so glad i was there, though, i think it would have just burnt itself out. i remove all batteries now.

i did get a blister from hot juice. after many hits from the mech, the rda dripped out the hole onto my thumb. the blister is still healing, happened about a month ago.

6 Likes