Have you spoke to your doctor recently?

I had to see my Dr about getting a prescription filled, and we went over how I was doing in general, and I told him "I quit smoking for over a year now!"
And he said "that’s great, now get your dad to!"
But I said, "Now I’m vaping full time and it’s great! "
Totally expecting a debate with my loaded news, what came next was a surprise.
He said "that’s good!"
I was in awe, "really?? I was totally expecting a different response!"
And he said why?

I’m pretty sure we had a similar conversation 3 years ago during my Ego CE5 days with an entirely different response.
So this encounter kinda blew me away.
Then we got to talking about legislation and how they are trying to ban it, etc.
And then he said it again, “why?”

In the days that passed, I began to wonder…have any of yall talked to your doctor? Have you heard such reactions?
I’m still in awe weeks later.

6 Likes

Yes i talked to my doctor about vaping. And he was the same. He said thats great. He said even though your getting a little nicotine. He was happy i wasn’t getting all the other crap.

2 Likes

My doc is cool with me vaping also.

2 Likes

I had a doctors appointment last week. She was excited when I told her I quit cigarettes 2 months ago. I then told her I started Vaping. She didn’t like that too much. She went on and on about it being too new and we don’t know if it’s better for you than smoking. She was very quick to offer a prescription to quit.
This is in Canada, unfortunately the province where I live has the same views and they are starting to bring in more legislation on Vaping. Not only that but the company that I work for is moving to a new building in January. We got an email last week notifying us we will not be able to smoke/vape on the property. This also includes in you vehicle in there parking lot.:grimacing:

2 Likes

I saw my doc last month. He is fine with me vaping. He was in awe that my bad cholesterol was lower than his. LOL My good cholesterol was a bit low. He told me to drink a glass of red wine every night and to keep vaping if it would keep me off tobacco. My sister is also an MD. She is good with me vaping. :slight_smile: She used to smoke too.

5 Likes

About two years ago I spent a week in ICU on my what I thought was my death bed with a pulmonary embolism, 70% blockage in both lungs and the right side of my heart enlarged 4 times it’s normal size.

At the time I was smoking around 3 packs a day and laying there I was having nicotine withdrawals big time. The nurses stuck some patches on me and shot me up with some drugs but they didn’t really help. Finally one of the Doctors I was talking with snuck me in a couple of his ecigs.

Whenever my wife would help me into the bathroom I would take a few drags on it or I would hide my head under the blankets so the nurses couldn’t see me and take a couple puffs. Luckily they were just the cheap disposable kind that ya get at the gas station and they didn’t put off much vape so I didn’t get caught … lol. It was enough to take the edge off (along with the other drugs) and helped me to relax, probably saved my life :smile:

After that happened my regular doctor has been on my ass big time about quitting. He was thrilled when I told him I finally quit smoking and started vaping. I had a physical a couple months ago at work and my BP was better than it’s been in 20 years.

12 Likes

Good story ! I am one of those nurses who are hiding in the ICU vaping in the bathroom hee hee. You can’t really leave your pt.'s for too long so a bathroom trip has to get you by til lunch time !

Wonder what your cardiologist thinks about you vaping, If you see one ?

3 Likes

we didn’t hear that lol

2 Likes

I am a proud vaper …but I can’t leave the unit soooo ? Bathroom break :wink:

Besides the intensivist ( ICU Dr.) telling me he needs a cig

Trust me I wouldn’t want to set the fire alarm off that freaks me out all the time.

4 Likes

Nope, haven’t seen one. I hate going to the Drs. The only reason I have been since all this happened was to get the blood thinners dialed in.

2 Likes

I was wondering if they put you on coumadin after the PE but that’s none of my business. I also wonder if you were doing something that was sedentary prior to the PE ( long trip/long flight, having to sit for a long period )
Hmm, yep " blood thinners" will keep you going back and often, annoying yet vital !

And cardiomegaly ( enlarged heart ) is more common that most ppl realize.

I’m real bad, I don’t even have a primary - …do as I say not as I do hee hee… UH white coat syndrome I understand everything they say so ( hands over ears I don’t wanna hear it ! ) But I do go once a year for a physical because I have to ! ( this is Very common among nurses and Dr.s we just self diagnose ourselves )

2 Likes

Yupp, probably be on the crap the rest of my life. Which hopefully will be a long time now that I quit smoking :smile:

Nope, no long trips, sitting periods, none of the regular causes. They never did figure out why I got the clots but they figured they came from the backside of my right (I think it was right) knee.

It was just the right side of my heart that was enlarged. They said it was from trying to push all the blood through the restriction. I’ve always had heart problems (PAT) since I was young but it’s never been swollen like that.

Usually that’s the only time I go too, I have to for work and then I just hit the clinic here at work.

2 Likes

Interesting yet scary right ! PAT or PDA ? PDA is congenital …not sure what the PAT is a acronym for.

Yes right side what stretching d/t pressure in the lungs trying to preload your heart with blood but the obstruction was preventing this.

Glad your doing great now! Good reasons to not smoke ever again !

1 Like

Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia - irregular heartbeat.

Thanks! … Absolutely :smile:

2 Likes

Ah I did google it and said I bet that’s what he’s talking about! Now I’ll go write my 6 page report for you hee hee.

3 Likes

I don’t have a doctor. The last time I was around doctors they were pumping my kid full of poison and calling it treatment. Bullshit. Yeah, I guess if I fall over or get in a bad accident I’ll go see one. But right now all I know is it’s nearly 2 am, I still can’t sleep 8 years later, and a doctor is the last thing I want to see. Oh, but maybe too like Amy I do a little self diagnosis. And I know full well my lung health has improved drastically. I breath better with no shortness of breath, and also I don’t have to fall asleep with the tv or radio on anymore just to drown out the sound of my lungs whistling. I attribute that to cigarettes.

5 Likes

I encourage everyone to get a yearly physical. There has been quite a few people that I have worked with here that got cancer and died when it could have been caught and treated. I have one close friend now who’s dying and there’s nothing they can do to help. Before I was employed here they made porcelain and ceramics. Those guys used to breath a lot of glass dust and fumes. There also was a lot of asbestos in the building that was used to insulate those huge smelters. Most that I know who retired from here, died shortly after with all types of cancers. Some never made it to retirement. It’s mandatory now to get a yearly physical… but they never had to force me. Thank god they quit making that stuff just before I was hired. I’ve never had to deal with it.

7 Likes

I can’t agree with you more !!! I may not go but once a year but I get the full monty when I go ! Awareness is where it’s at ! I’d still have my mama if she’d just gone to the Dr. once a year. Not that I want to get into a sappy sad story but I agree ya gotta get a yearly.

1 Like

Have not seen doctor, prefer to figure things out for my self,but noticed extreme dehydration beginning right after I started gaping. Started mixing my own max vg and this got better. With the extra vale using the tfv4 my lungs started to hurt so I went back to my arctic- lower watts used- pain went away. Decided to reduce nic to 1 mg began using tfv4 again, problem not come back. Researching now gum issues as they popped up as well…ain’t going back to cigarettes, have invested about 2 k in flavors, will figure out what body has issues with and delete as necessary

2 Likes

Whoops auto correct lol vaping not gaping

1 Like