Homogenizers, how and why they work

In the Pre Steeping thread I wrote the following:

…“the use of mechanical energy produced by a high shear mixer to uniformly combine the liquid components will exponentially reduce the time factor in achieving essentially the same or in many or most cases, a much more uniform result i.e. homogenization. That is a mechanical function and not some mysterious chemical transformation. In mixing and homogenizing ejuice we are combining chemical suspensions with dilutants and avoiding things such as aeration and oxidation which will cause an undesirable chemical reaction.”

I thought I should expand on this with a detailed explanation of the process. Homogenization is simply making things uniform in terms of particle or globule size. There are many types of devices that will produce homogeneous results. Oldest is the mortar and pestle used to grind medicines into a uniform powder. Then came high pressure homogenization still widely in use followed by the development of High Shear devices. This invention dates back to WW2 when the need for synthetic rubber and other materials was critical. The device was first referred to as a disintegrator which was a result just as homogenization is.

The high shear process consists of a rotor, essentially a cutting knife, turning at very high speed (up to 30k RPM) within a stationary tube referred to as a stator. If designed properly, when the rotor begins to turn a vacuum is created which draws the materials upwards into the stator and the materials are sheared by the rotor and then ejected by centrifugal and hydraulic forces through exit ports in the stator tube. Results down to 2 microns in size can be achieved providing that very close tolerances between moving parts are maintained. The actual mixing chamber is very small which prevents heavier materials from separating from lighter materials in a “squeeze” effect allowing uniform particle size reduction by the rotor. Upwards pressure plus outward pressure causes this when the ports are smaller than the volume inside the mix chamber. Designing one is akin to juggling.

Depicted below is a multi stage high shear dispersing unit made by Kinnematica- Swiss:

Video link https://youtu.be/sAFEtrWs7dk

Another and more applicable : (takes awhile to load)

Videos

14 Likes

Hopefully the above explanation demonstrates how a high shear mixer works. Both of the above websites have very informative short videos demonstrating numerous high shear devices and mixing solutions for across the spectrum processing needs. It should be noted that I developed a laboratory type and size mixer for our purposes which essentially regulates the flow through or throughput of our liquids. This uses a disintegrating workhead which produces a vigorous mixing action. After years of testing, I always return to the round exit port of the disintegrating workhead. The same for cannabis (CBD) product mixing and a wide variety of others.

Now the why.

I fully admit that the concept of particle or globule size reduction of liquids is difficult to wrap your head around and produces a WTF reaction. Yet everything under the sun can be either solid, liquid, or gaseous depending on external forces applied. An ice cube (H2O1) is a perfect example. Freeze it solid, melt it into liquid, or evaporate it into gas etc. It all depends on how the molecular structures are bound together. In our case these bonds are covalent meaning a lack of metallic substances. This is the “key” to understanding why the high shear process facilitates the mixture of flavor materials dissolved in solvent thereby creating a suspension of chemicals bonded together that can be readily mixed with a much denser, heavier, and larger sized vegetable glycerine.

A chemical suspension i.e. our concentrates are not individual molecules floating around ready to escape their bonds with the other parts. They can but can be managed. (keep your lids on) Flavor materials are sub micron sized particles usually made with extraction processes and/or high pressure homogenizers combined and dissolved usually in PG.

The obstacle, whether by the conventional “steeping” process or by mechanical means is the penetration and bonding of the suspension with VG.

This a is a depiction of the VG chemical:

This is a “stick” model of the VG molecule. The sticks represent bonding:

Screenshot_2020-10-30 Proline model - Molecular model - Wikipedia

This is a VG globule:

Reducing the size of the globule facilitates the bonding with the suspension.

The conventional DIY means absolutely works but can be a very slow process.

I would be very happy to discuss this with anyone.

14 Likes

Thank you for sharing your knowledge

6 Likes

Thank you for the explanation!

8 Likes

Bump. Post two has been fully posted.

3 Likes

Wonderful explanation!! Brings it down to something one can wrap their head around.

6 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to us and making it easier to understand.

8 Likes

Well thank you and everyone else for taking the time to read it. Vaping is a passion of mine that started over 6 years ago. I know that I would likely be long dead without it .Now, way past 70, I’m still kickin.:laughing: I’ve been around this forum since shortly after my vaping journey began and have learned lots and hopefully have made a contribution.

14 Likes

You certainly have and we are very grateful to you for it. Sadly I missed the boat when you were selling the GC because being in the U.K. the shipping costs would have been very high for such a delicate precision instrument so I still use good old Father Time to steep my e liquids. My father is a retired engineer and toolmaker like your good self as was his father before him and it’s rubbed off on me somewhat so I find your posts very interesting.
I’m so glad to hear that you found vaping and what it has done for you.

10 Likes

It guess it gets in our bloodlines. My father spent 38 years in a steel mill where for the most part parts couldn’t be purchased. They had to be made. IMHO the old timers skill levels were off the charts compared to today’s including mine. Hell, I’m old school and a dinosaur LOL. I’m not knocking the amazing things modern CNC machinery can do, its just that using a computerized machine can eliminate the use of our grey matter and make us lazy. Having said that, someone there could likely establish a nice cottage industry producing these devices.

Silverson, the company that produced the video’s above, has a huge facility in the UK to serve all of Europe. They have a 4 year apprenticeship program akin to our old school ways. I have no idea whether their devices hit the used marketplace, but if they do one would be a good investment. However, their prices new are in the stratosphere.
Yes, shipping to the UK was crazy expensive.

5 Likes

Here is tidbit that should,IMO, eliminate the controversy over using heat and and leaving nicotine out when mixing. The glycerine chemical is composed of the following.

Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen. These are the gases forming the tiny bubbles or milky appearance when using the GC. I do not want to oxidize my nicotine which will in turn oxidize the flavor materials and that is why I have steadfastly advised to leave the nic out. The homogenizer can turn your mix to shit with nic in the mix. :smiley:

8 Likes

Because I’m “slightly obsessed” :face_with_spiral_eyes: with most things vape related, I now absolutely have to have and desperately need :crazy_face: a homogenizer! I need guidance as to a halfway decent budget level device. Any help is greatly appreciated!

5 Likes

There is an old thread that lists some pretty high end equipment I have. I haven’t updated it for a long time and some of it has been sold. However, I’m sorting through things and have found a drawer full of GC parts and boxes full of pre machined materials. Covid hit me hard which was followed by major health problems that interrupted producing the GC. It was a long recovery and during that time running a lathe and mill etc. were out of the question.

I’ll update the old thread real soon. Mixing Equipment for Sale If you search eBay for Pro Scientific, Kinematica /Polytron, IKA, Vertis, Vertashear or just homogenizers it will give you a good idea of whats out there. Use caution and I’ll be glad to advise on anything. Lots or most of that stuff needs repair which I can do in most cases and some of it is a “steal” uh, cuz it likely is “stealed”. :rofl:

There’s a zillion of the asian model on the bay. I’ll just stay neutral on that.

6 Likes

See this…

3 Likes

I can say with 100% certainty that FA uses the high shear process because I’ve seen the mixer in videos. There are ultrasonic “cell disrupters” that produce the same results. Homogenizers are used across the spectrum for processing nearly everything from foods, beverages, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, lubricants, medical testing, etc etc.

“Steeping” is a very broad term. Soaking, absorbing, penetrating, macerating, infusing, aging, maturing etc etc …all have the same destination; a stable and consistent vape ready finished product.

9 Likes

After careful thought, I will ‘go there.’ After all, these statements go to the heart of the matter but I have to say I wouldn’t know premium if it jumped up and bit me. In a recipe contest, I’d no doubt come in dead last. My mixes are simple and rarely consist of more than 3 or maximum 4 flavors. No talent along with smoking for over 50 years leaves me amazed that I can even breathe let alone taste.

I recall a conversation with @woftam about 5 years ago when he described “steeping” as a bad term that stuck. I agreed and still do. It would be impossible to calculate how many statements about “all kinds of steeping methods” we’ve all seen. But I’m reminded, just as an example, of @Ken_O_Where 's story about finding a strawnanna custard mix he left in a drawer for months and how it had developed into deliciousness. Okay, what caused this? What physically occurred? Or was it a chemical transformation? Magic? Divine intervention? The point is how can a new or another mixer know what he has until the juice has reached its finished state. "Premium " would be unrealistic.

When I began my project some of the best mixers participated in what I fondly remember as great discussions and fun. Woftam, @Sprkslfly, @SmilingOgre , Garry now known as @Tworrs, @Mjag, Jim, @Steampugs, @fidalgo_vapes, @Grubby, Phil Fish, @Fishaddict420 among others participated.The GC was born from this.

My opinion, its long overdue for a science based discussion post where mixers can access hard data, be it physical and mechanical or if you believe its chemical transformation, then post the data. I think "all kinds of “steeping methods” equals confusion and failure.

I’ll start the thread and then shut up. Blame muth for calling me up from exile :rofl:

12 Likes

Dont shut up…I love this stuff

12 Likes

This would be a very interesting thread and I would love to read it as it developed. My perspective on “steeping” is very simplistic. I think of a broth based stew or soup that tastes better the longer it sits like a “leftover”. The flavors dissipate into the broth and blend together as a modified broth.

10 Likes

Does bring to mind that do single flavours mature the older they get like a wine or beer ,port and such rather than going off if not opened

5 Likes

I dont think so. I have a couple old bottles of juice and look like motor oil and smell like mildew. Flavorings on the other hand dont spoil but i can see them losing potency over time

5 Likes