I just want to keep on mixing with my 0.001g scale!

[quote=“xxanalogxx, post:77, topic:232981”]
Talso splains Y when I use tree dropsa dis an 5 dropsa dat with too dropsa dat things R more consistant!:wink:
My 1st stages after sft’s along with playing a little begin with drops in my base and I have developed many recipes this way. Any recipe that is developed using drops and base are consistent. It is when converting to mixing by weight (generally 30 ml) that I get inconsistent batches.

4 Likes

So yeah, that’s what I meant by adding a digit, making 100.00% into 100.000%. That’s easy peasy.

The hard part is probably taking the decision and planning it in. If the majority doesn’t use SC flavors, it’s making things a bit more difficult for them.

4 Likes

Here is the issue… the drops per ml need to be a known entity… then the drop weight, of which elr rounds up… the aws 501 scale only goes .02g so if you use drops and the drops you work with are .02g each… you can find by adjusting the 35 drops per ml standard on elr to the drops per ml your bottles are producing in flv that is 50 drops per ml… then by saying I added 10 drops in a 30 ml…

10 x .02g your weight should match the weight on the scale. only then is it accurate to your mix. Not hard to do at all.

when working with a .002g or a .0002g scale… you have to round it up or down to find the .0"1"g weight to input into elr for it to match…

4 Likes

and if you do not know your drops per ml… then you are mixing blind…
this should be taught to new mixers… as well as solos…

now I brace for another month and a half to rag on Smoky…

I can promise… you will taste the difference…

4 Likes

2 kegs in the tub might work better…

5 Likes

I heard bathtub mixing is the bomb… stay right there…
I will send a few wet wipes :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I’m with @anon28032772 on this one, I mix concentrates on 0.001 scale then move to 0.01 scale for larger batch if needed over 30ml, scale is small, accurate and takes up no “real estate” , once you see how close can you can get on drops (or half drops) the 0.01 is like going back to syringes!

5 Likes

I have long known of this discrepancy probably from you! Honestly I felt it was splitting hairs and did not think it would make that much difference. I am now realizing it matters. I guess you can dub me the slo learner lol

5 Likes

The beer should be in The mixing cave right? Freezer, Freezer, Freezer for Nic, Refrigerator for Beer!

5 Likes

You aren’t slow… trust me, it took time for me to wrap my head around it.
It took my boss looking at the calculator, my scales I brought from home (the pocket and the aws501) and he agreed to sell me the ohaus…

but then getting my recipes up to elr, was yet another few months… Id forget or something did not look right… I kept on tho and now it is something I wont ever forget, it makes that big of a difference.

2 Likes

50G 0.001 scale, sure you can squeeze it in!

6 Likes

It all had to due with batch to batch consistency for me. It’s still a little early on but I have made 6 of my recipes ( that have steeped)since I acquired this scale and each one is consistent with what I developed using drops. And what I was observing using this scale told the story.

2 Likes

Your LB takes up more space than my 2 scales :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

You just hit the nail on the head. :confused:

2 Likes

Actually it is the same principal… standard vs ultras…

2 Likes

@Rocky02852

No Mas

5 Likes

plenty of room. put the flavors on that rack sitting on the table… build a small 12-15 in “shelf” for them to sit on… and move all the loose bottles etc up under it… plenty of room.

However… one has to have the desire to buy and work with a scale that can go lower than normal too.
If you do… you will find a way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess I’m out on an island here. I guess I thought everyone had those batch to batch variances. My broken tastebuds scream them out at me even on my A mixes :flushed:. My early results are good so I’ll just roll with it.

5 Likes

Dunno, my mixes are usually A (±.01) A+ (.01 without going over). I’m not capable of any better😳

4 Likes

Batting 1000 with the new scale so far though whatever reason you want to attribute it to😊

4 Likes