I literally broke my leg in 4 places

Why no immobilization @ladycrooks?

I had my leg broken twice and i was told restricting movement of a broken bone in your leg is critical to proper healing. It also helps keeping weight off the affected leg for several weeks (once it took 10 weeks) which is needed.

7 Likes

Oh my days that looks nasty. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that the pain medication that you have been prescribed does itā€™s job well.

7 Likes

I broke my left femur in 3 places when I was a kid. I spent 8 weeks in a body cast. Healed up as good as new.

8 Likes

Shit, thatā€™s even worse - body cast for so longā€¦ I wasnā€™t allowed to leave the bed in hospital for 5 weeks, been in a hospital for one more (when i was allowed to make my first steps) and had that shit on my leg from top to bottom for another 3 or 4 weeks. Itā€™s weird how quickly the muscles weaken. But yeah, healed up completely.

7 Likes

@Mikser Like you, when I broke one of my legs and also when I shattered my ankle, I had a cast for each break. Not sure of the reason for her not having a cast, but sometimes they do a removable brace for a week to 10 days to see if they need to do additional surgery. A lady friend of mine severely broke her arm and that is what they did with her. Fortunately, my friend did not need additional surgery and they casted her arm a week after her injury.

And, yep, it is amazing how quickly we lose muscle and muscle tone. When the cast came off from my shattered ankle, my calf was about half its normal size. The physical therapy to get strength and flexibility back took about 8 months. But itā€™s been fantastic for years.

8 Likes

That makes perfect sense now. Thx Cary1!

4 Likes

It truly is. Itā€™s a lot of work to get it back.

Iā€™m so old when I broke my leg the doctor told me he could put something in there to strengthen it and keep it straight. I said, sure, sounds good to me. He then asked, maple or oak?

7 Likes

I remember when my Father had a serious motorcycle accident and his leg was so badly broken that he nearly lost it. After extensive surgery and bone marrow replacement he had a metal frame known as a llizarov frame fitted over the full length of his leg that had long steel pins screwed directly into the flesh and bones which had to be regularly tightened to straighten and lengthen it. He now has to wear a built up shoe because the injury left him with one shorter leg than the other.

6 Likes

I have a half cast on idk why, but i do know i canā€™t have any movement on my right leg for min 6 weekss i think longer. I can only sleep for a few hours then the pain continues

6 Likes

Its called a compound fracture what Iā€™ve managedā€¦

6 Likes

And you are absolutely right. I have, to go back in 2 weeks to see about. Full cast and more surgery i didnā€™t just break 1 bone its a compound fracture.

6 Likes

That should do the job: I have avoided all painkillers after discovering during an operation that my body has a habit of metabolising them a tad too quickly.

Oh, they may switch you over to tramadol soon: Itā€™s mainly used as it aids with light mobility a tad more.

2 Likes

As long as it at least dulls the pain. And I personally know this painkiller I am on rn is very habit forming. I have also lost alot of friends due to opiates n donā€™t need to go there. I canā€™t even mix! It just ends up looking like this in front of me then i just am tired n want to go to sleep. Pain and the way our bodies respond to it is very strange I just want to sleepā€¦

8 Likes

Well, cutting down the caffeine will help a tad. When pain gets in the way, insisting on telling a story in your head may help. It gets the mind focused on one point and can rapidly tire you out by forcing you to concentrate a lot on a task.

4 Likes

2 Likes

I know i always hated milk. And from age 16 until recently (30) i was on the birth control needle called depo-provera that causes bone density loss or (osteoporosis) mind you bending my leg in the complete opposite direction did not help.

2 Likes

Snapped like a twig

2 Likes

I have 1 metal rod holding my leg together and idk how many pins. I donā€™t know much about the surgery I had but I do know they kept me high enough I donā€™t remember last week at all. I been trying so hard to go back to work too Iā€™ve had multiple interviews and then I go and break my damn leg like this. And badly too idk when Iā€™ll be good to go back

6 Likes

Hang in there. This is a tough time, but you will come out on the other side and work opportunities will be there when youā€™ve healed and recovered enough. Donā€™t do anything that jeopardizes your recovery. You deserve to have a full recovery.

6 Likes

Yeah, what @cary1 said. I know how just sitting or laying there can be extremely frustrating, but trying to get up and about will just make it worse. Rest up, the world will still be here.

5 Likes