I want to see some organization skills

@SessionDrummer - How full do you fill your bottles before topping w/ Argon? I’ve always filled my bottles as full as possible before topping w/ Argon, but wasn’t sure if there should be more of a gap.

My Nic is only in the fridge until Amber Glass bottles arrive for breakdown. I keep a small (60ml) bottle of Nic in the fridge, but that’s it. Now that I’m getting more into DIY I will most likely change that to a 120ml bottle, but I’m not sure. Usage will determine that.

What do you mean by taping bottles? I have another question I’ve been meaning to ask as long as we’re on the topic of Nic. Do you prep your glass bottles in any particular way? I’ve just been washing them, but I’ve just reading where ppl are rinsing them in Distilled water and/or sterilizing them.

7 Likes

I have a pretty heavy NIC burn rate, so I DO do a lot of bottles, and thanks for asking @FL_Vaper. PLEASE remember, this is just MY method.

Quite a while ago, I had a VERY unfortunate “INCIDENT” wherein I was breaking down a few liters of NIC, into smaller bottles, left 1/2" or less headspace. For reference the NIC had just come out of the freezer, and as I worked through the large amount of smaller bottles it was slowly warming. I was capping them off as I went. Got almost done and heard a popping noise, didn’t know what it was, continued, heard another pop, started sliding bottles around to see what was what, and two bottles slightly “chinked” each other, and one broke (under pressure). Thankful for goggles and gloves. EVERYONE should use gloves/goggles when breaking down.

It became OBVIOUS the the “rumors” I’d heard about PG NOT expanding/contracting were NOT true.

From then on out, I started leaving MORE headspace, maybe 3/4" or so, and because of the increase in air, I grew concerned, researched, and started topping off all bottles with Argon gas. The gap (headspace) is critical IMO to PREVENT over pressurizing the bottles.

This doesn’t have to be complicated, or voodoo witchcraft, and some may think this crazy. I’ve got a LOT of gallons on ice, and have it down to a science now.

I would RECOMMEND at least a 1/2" gap, and topping with Argon.

Hehe, it’s how some shippers send their NIC. Simply fill, gas, cap, then a few wraps of electrical tape to solidify the cap seal. Just prevents any loosening, etc. Maybe for show, but I do it all the time now.

Not really, but I do wash with hot soapy water, thoroughly rinse, then dry before filling.

Hope that helps, and I strongly recommend reading my little “incident” above, in regards to the need for a gap/headspace in each bottle.

10 Likes

Great, keep it chilly while waiting. I’m about 101% convinced that my 100% PG NIC DID indeed expand/contract, which shattered a bottle or two while bottling. After leaving a headspace gap, I’ve NEVER had that issue happen again.

If topping off ALL the way to the top on chilled (not frozen) NIC, it is conceivable that if the PG contracted when frozen, it could create a reverse issue, almost like a vaccum in a bottle. Enough to break it ?? Probably not. Make it more likely to break when bumped around in a freezer ?? Maybe.

Leave a little headspace, gas if you want extra protection, and kiss any problems good bye.

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

I apologize to the OP for any derail here, but I don’t think we can EVER have enough SAFE NIC discussion. If anyone has any NIC questions, feel free to PM me.

9 Likes

Contrary to popular belief, oxygen does not deteriorate Nic. It does oxidize the nicotine, which taste downright bad (and that’s why you don’t want oxygen in the Nic)
But it’s Heat and UV light that actually deteriorates the Nic,

There are some that think that oxygen exposure causes e-liquid nicotine levels to diminish or drop. There is no evidence to support the idea that oxygen exposure drops or diminishes nicotine content in e-liquids, but overly oxidized products will usually taste bad and should not be used.

So can exposure to oxygen cause nicotine levels in e-liquids to drop? In reality, this isn’t true. Open air exposure causes the flavors to go bad, long before loss of nicotine strength would ever happen. It is exposure to light or high temps that causes nicotine levels to diminish. Even products slightly past their labeled date of expiration should not be harmful or lose their overall potency. Still, the best idea is to always keep your bottles sealed tightly and stored in a cool dark place, but also check their freshness by observing the expiration dates.

7 Likes

I’ve always tried to keep it simple @Rocky02852. Heat, light, air = Bad, bad, bad. The more you can limit or remove any/all of them, the better your NIC will fare.

9 Likes

I was just trying to make a point of not having to worry about freezing your unopened nic immediately. But yes, I do believe and have questioned nicotine vendors about this “popular belief”. I’ve received varied answers which I found frustrating. I guess they just sell the stuff, they don’t make it. I don’t agree with the statement by Sauce LA that oxidation doesn’t have an effect on nicotine. Free radicals have an effect on all organic matter.
Nic and caffeine (similar alkaloids) are both pretty stable compounds but still subject to potency degradation as shown here (AAE-C Forum):

Rate of degradation.
Nicotine in PG solution is noted to be stable at room temperature (20°C) when exposed to air and (indirect) sunlight for up to 2 months with only a 2.1% drop in concentration.

This indicates that an open container of Nic/PG base at 54mg would degrade to approximately 52.8mg.
An open container of PG e-liquid at 18mg would degrade to approximately 17.5mg.

Similar minimal degradation (2%) is noted to have occurred after storage in a domestic freezer for around 18 months.
(I only have one source for this, numerous others all appear to cite or plagiarise the original).

Various tests carried out at 40-80°C (104-176F) for up to 20 days appear to show no degradation of Nicotine in PG within a sealed container.

Breakdown of the chemical structure of Nicotine is noted to begin at approximately 300°C in an oxidising environment.

(The flavours and aromas associated with any particular mixed e-liquid would be subject to higher rates of degradation in much less severe environments).

The only reason I bothered to post that was not to compare notes, Rocky, but to bring to light conceptions about liquid nicotine within the vape community. @SessionDrummer summed it up simply with heat, light and air. I think I’ll stick with that, lol!

8 Likes

Yeah, muth, I’m in total agreement with that, I have had some oxidized Nic and it’s nasty. I now only take 60ml of noc out of the freezer at a time :+1:

7 Likes

You could still use that space but with some various sized shelf organizers. Then organize by brand of type of flavor. I use 2 free standing towers that I’ve labeled bakery, creams& custard and fruits A-L and Fruits M-Z. Or if you have the wall space, some nail polish holders work nicely. They sell on Amazon. :purple_heart:

9 Likes

Nicely done @Wombatred26. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Smart ass lol it’s just randomly piled together in one spot hahaha and slowly growing like a slime mold…

8 Likes

Same as me - Racks, grouped by manufacturer then alphabetically

7 Likes

@SessionDrummer …Envious!

3 Likes

Hehe, I appreciate that @D-a-M-o-N but once you get past all the neatly aligned bottles, the INSANITY reveals itself.

:stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

There’s always some Insanity behind the neatness I know for my toolbox that’s true there’s a fine art to organizing tools in a box. That way I put my arm open the drawer count from left to right grab the right wrench without looking

7 Likes

in middle of redoing inventory in vape recipe program but i like to group by mfg , don’t have many flavors right now compared to others .

desk is devoted to just vape or at least that is the idea .

some times a forget the small things - so printing up a few labels as reminders

still in process of rearranging things . but eventually i want to replace desk and two shelves with actual cabinet work designed specifically for vape . but that might be next year - have to build a bigger storage building for cnc machine first.

13 Likes

Shelves and desks work pretty well for me. I keep most everything in the racks where they can be placed in a fridge in the summer. Most stay out in the cooler months though large bottles always stay refrigerated.

Another desk for my suis vide and homogenizing equipment. From left: Pro Scientific, Game changer, and Polytron Kinnematica with lift mechanism.

15 Likes

Just gotta say I am jealous of the folks who have the room to spread out and get and keep everything organized. Having work space with some elbow room would be great. But we are ingenious people and find ways to store and mix, even with space restrictions. Where there is a will, there is a way.

10 Likes

Oh man, that Polytron Kinnematica is dreamy. The closest I could get to that would be using my modified Dremel Workstation with some sort of stand to place the bottle on because the throw is so short. Still, don’t think i would trust that sort of hack. Nice set up, Dan.

6 Likes

It is really nice. That setup came from Harvard med school surplus. I have a bunch of equipment I need to put up for sale. That one I will keep but I have 2 others identical except for the lift. Kinematica-Swiss- is the “Rolls Royce” of the equipment makers. One of the probes will mix 2 liters. Naturally it won’t mix small quantities though.

Edit: I thought this was a PM.

4 Likes