I'm going to stop using PG and replace it with water

This right here.

That’s the entire core element of fun in any DIY - not following someone elses step by step instruction manual on how to create what is essentially just a flavoured liquid for vaping.

We’re not researching a cure for cancer here remember: just ordering flavours that anyone can order then mixing those flavours with liquid that anyone can order and though a select few love to make out like they’re rocket scientists, they are not and mixing flavours in liquid isn’t the exclusive club those people like to make out.

One man’s treasured recipe is another man’s liquid shit in a bottle.

I understand people get all chuffy and proud of their accumulated knowledge over years of learning, but reducing the process down to a static, linear methodology that amounts to little more than doing what others have done in the same way just to duplicate what everyone else does - that’s hardly DIY and far from inspiring to a lot of people.

Where is the discovery in only duplicating what other people do? And without that discovery we all may as well be robots in a factory all following exact directions line-by-line from the same chunk of code.

Why bother DIY if your only doing what he does or they all do?

You crazy-face me all you like: I’m only trying to enlighten you to the fact that not everybody views everything from the same angle and that the primary motivation for mixing is too discover a flavour an individual likes - how they get to that flavour does not need to follow the same worn out tracks everyone else has followed and that the basic practice of mixing flavouring for a desired result isn’t the intellectual property of a handful of people simply because they’ve been doing it longer.

You don’t need to know every molecule that goes into a grade-a bolognese sauce to make a grade-a bolognese sauce and you don’t need to be a chef to cook exceptional meals.

Here, we’re talking about something even simpler than that and a million people are out there mixing juices right now with the same liquids we all are: some turn out like shit, some turn out to be staple favourites and none of them need ten years experience to do any of it.

3 Likes

That was interesting. Not as much fun as a tour of Ben & Jerry’s, but interesting.

8 Likes

Actually, I replied to ZM appropriately and that should’ve been the end of it: then the fanboys descended like demented devotees and I’ve been defending my original post and reply to several of you since.

Happens in every forum though: have a minor disagreement with some poster and suddenly you’ve got half the fucking forum bitching at you - whatever :slight_smile:

It’s not a complicated mechanic of course: somewhere way back person-a defends person-b in some thread, then person-b returns the favour - mindlessly defending person-a in another thread: back and forth it goes, but it’s nonetheless mindless - the kind if blind loyalty a dog shows for its owner.

I’m bored with the debate now anyway so we’ll just call it settled.

1 Like

You won’t be missing much - even I grew bored taking on the Mongol Horde and found something more productive to do :smirk:

1 Like

See first post: my plans have not changed :smirk:

PG (@ standard percentages) for flavours the dry/harsh/bitterness will mesh well.

Dw (@ smallest possible percentages) for sweet dessert flavours I want as smooth as possible, though that vodka method of mixing with DW also looked good.

@Dan_the_Man mostly the DW would be for flavours like custard, ice-cream, honey & milk; anything rich and sweet and creamy and I’d think of it as a ‘maximum VG’ thing more than a VG/DW thing, since there’s only going to be 5% or less DW for thinning what would be 100% Glycerine if it weren’t as thick as snot.

3 Likes

I don’t like… hmm depends on the type of throat hit… didn’t the vodka all get evaporated before capping?

Really, I want the lung hit of 50mg salts without having to actually use 50mg salts because that shit is concentrated enough to get expensive quickly, and without the throat dryness of PG.

So I figure next best would be as little PG as possible with the lung OOF provided by ~12mg freebase nic.

There’s always going to be some PG because of the flavourings bringing it with them, but hmm

2 Likes

Yeah I watched that, think you were the one that posted links elsewhere :thinking:

And I was wrong by saying your two statements contradicted, actually the opposite is true. I skimmed thru it and skipped over / misinterpreted the Emulsify part.

Did a little digging and actually pg plays a part as an Emulsifier in many things included Latex Paints (In the UK they are called Emulsion Paints)

Emulsion:
A mixture in which two immiscible substances, like oil and water, stay mixed together thanks to a third substance called an emulsifier. The emulsifier is usually something like a soap, whose molecules have a water-soluble end and an organic-soluble end. The soap molecules form little balls called micelles, in which the water-soluble ends point out into the water, and the organic-soluble ends point into the inside of the ball. The oil is stabilized in the water by hiding in the center of the micelle. Thus the water and oil stay mixed.

What is propylene glycol used for?
It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food colors and flavors, and in the paint and plastics industries.
One might think that latex paints simply use water as a solvent, but glycol, a coalescent aid is also involved.
Propylene glycol fatty acid esters are lipophilic, oil‐soluble emulsifiers with specific crystalline properties. … The use of propylene glycol esters of fatty acids in foods, as with all other food emulsifiers

6 Likes

Good choice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, you just had to go and say that, huh? Thanks for changing my mind on not engaging you!

3 Likes

And yet here you are still. I’m not quite understanding the “Mongol Horde” characterization though. Is that somehow more legit to say, than the manners, rudeness and condescending attacks you were so bent on pointing out?

5 Likes

It’s a bit late to be finally coming-up with comebacks now: the debate ended 16 hours ago.

Quit living in the past Marge.

1 Like

I don’t consider that a debate and unless Marge is your mom’s name I don’t know her. You dodged my question smart guy. Do you want to answer or are you too busy drumming up more off-handed comments?

7 Likes

The reason I use DW rather than pg to thin juice is to reduce the pg and to relieve “heavy lung” feeling vg causes some of us. I’m pg sensitive so nic/flavors pg is about all I can tolerate with daily use and DW works very well for me. Been mixing this way for over 3y now and not noticed any sort of wet lung feeling, actually have much better lung function now than I did before using DW.

6 Likes

I’m about to be too busy sleeping.

That’ll give you a solid 12 hours to compose a post that’s clever.

Better get started though: I get the distinct impression you will need the headstart :wink:

1 Like

Nope I’m done stooping to your level. It serves no purpose, much like your half-baked ideas. BTW I looked on the recipe side just out curiosity but lo and behold not a single offering by Possum Boy. Not surprised really. Anyway ciao, baby!

6 Likes

You might want to keep your eliquid in the fridge or freezer if you plan to use distilled water. Water is the world’s #1 Solvent (think how we make our coffee) anyways the purpose of Propylene glycol is that no form of life can start to grow in it. Naturally antibacterial and antimicrobial (with Covid crap I am PRO PG for this reason when I vape.) Saline not such a good idea for a few reasons. Plus PG is a natural humectants that does keep elasticity in the lungs. Same with VG on that point. Bottom line DW does not mean sterile when it is going into other things.

You will be limiting your flavor variety by going all water - most flavor materials are oil loving (thus the PG saving grace again) and the PG helps us flavorists make oil loving materials into water loving. Last note - I would store any pricey liquids in freezer because it makes the lifespan indefinite and your stuff won’t go to waste.

6 Likes

The flavors and in my case nic likely add enough pg to make refrigeration unnecessary.

4 Likes

an oxide layer forms on top of the coil protects it from rust too, also why I never dry burn or clean coils because its very brittle and if you crack it open by brushing or moving your coil you - theoretically - can leak some toxic compounds in your vape like hexavlent chromium, or little flakes of of that oxide layer could end up in your lungs

I have used water in the past and it literally takes a few drops to thin your mix, I may try it again because I get extreme drying of the lungs and nose from vaping.

5 Likes

Why would a humectant keep elasticity in the lungs?
It draws moisture OUT of the lungs and you exhale it.

Serious question because vaping drys my lungs and nose out so bad, I can’t inhale into my lungs you mouth and tongue actually absorb nicootine pretty good. AND i have to swab the inside of my nose with coconut oil or my nose gets swollen, full of bloody scabs and can barely breathe.

I have the worst side effects of any vaper I have ever met, would have quit but I found a way now with very few side effects.

4 Likes

Ok, It’s been four days now. Have you vaped any water? If so, do you have any comments on your experience? I’m perfectly content with PG/VG but I have no opinion on vaping water either.

5 Likes