"Iron Vaper" Competitions

Um…10% diacetyl sounds a bit low. May want to bump that up a bit. :wink: Butter and condensed milk should do the trick.

4 Likes

uh wait a minute According to LA’s web site not 1 of their flavors contain diacetyl (insert smirk :kissing: )
certainly not their butter rum .

2 Likes

How about instead of using letters and colors or vendor specific flavor just saying… Make apple pie with vanilla ice cream on top… Or candied almonds etc… Peach cobbler or snickers bar?

No limits on flavors but only pure flavor, not ready apple pie just.

We find one or more judges from the forum and send 10 ml to be judged.

2 Likes

Oooooh!!! "Raises Hand* pick me, pick me to be judge!! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I think this is a great idea, but my only concern would be not having enough flavorings to complete a recipe and having to order specific stuff for a recipe. Like right now if we were to make and apple pie recipe I wouldn’t have enough flavorings to make one regardless of vendor.

4 Likes

That’s a good idea but I think that would be a different kind of competition. More of a, who can make the best apple pie or the best cheesecake, etc. Plus that limits some to a specific flavor they may not have, pie crust, apple, etc.
Whereas, if we did say the letter A, people can use any of their flavors that start with A…John may have an apple but Jane has Apricot.
I just think we hit a roadblock with this judge thing. Outside of the fact I’m not sure who we would go with, it would be too much of a pain in the ass for people to bottle stuff and mail them out. So maybe instead of making it a competition that has to be judged, it could just be a fun game to see what creative things people come up with?
Bear in mind the suggestions I listed for the games we’re only ideas to get the ball rolling and not necessarily set in stone on what the competition is.
Or maybe this was dead in the water before it even left the shore!

3 Likes

I’m all for that! Sending it out would be too expensive since we are all in different parts of the world. Judging will take too long if you take steeping time of sometimes 4 to 6 weeks into account etc, etc. That would take the fun out of any competition and makes it different from a cooking competition. I’m no cook but a dinner that takes 6 weeks… I dunno.
So lets just do it for fun :grinning:

4 Likes

Good idea for a MAJOR competition however again you are limiting those with limited experience and those with limited money to buy flavors. Wider range options like the ABC will get more participation from all walks of life…

3 Likes

There used to be a cookery programme in the UK called Ready Steady Cook.

The contestants would have 5 pre-selected ingredients they had to use and could use anything they wanted out of the staple ingredients cupboard.

You could do something similar here perhaps?

i.e. Choose 3 Fruit flavours Apple Strawberry and Pear (from any manufacturer)? to give the widest amount of people chance to enter, which must be used in the recipe and you can add anything from a pre agreed list of popular staple concentrates, like e.m, sweetener, brown sugar, marshmallow, bavarian cream, sweet cream, vanilla, etc. You can choose to use as many of these or as little as you like in the finished recipe depending on what you already have.

5 Likes

That’s why I said it would be good for a different competition :wink:

It’s hard enough to do a “best of” anyways with all this subjective-ness floatin around

That’s what I’m talking about @bluenose63!

3 Likes

Ok, brain is ticking away. So, we all know that there are FAR more people using the calculator than frequent the forum. Here’s an idea.

1. Set a start date
  2. Choose the mix rules (using only fruit/cream, or bakery for example)
  3. Choose a “make public by” date
  4. Recipe title will say (just an idea here) MIXING COMPETITION followed by the mixer’s name. No title.
  5. In comments say this recipe is for a competition. please only comment if you have all the ingredients and make the mix. then rate it with the star rating above
  6. The person with the most number of ratings wins. In case of a ratings tie, comments are the tie breaker. Mixer cannot comment until after the competition.

Perhaps start the competition first of the year and let it run (ratings/comments) until April 1. Winner announced by April 30.

This would eliminate having to send anything anywhere. And if @daath has the ability to send emails to all Calculator members, he could announce it. Maybe make it open only to people on the forum who reply to a thread.

What do you think?

2 Likes

This was my initial thought as well. The only issue is, there are WAY more “leechers” than not. Meaning more people just hit and run, without a comment or a rating. That has always stumped me about the recipe site, is the huge lack of comments and ratings people give out… with the huge amount of activity going on, you would think we would get more?

But that was the only way I could think of doing it as well

1 Like

I kind of like the idea of doing it for fun; more as a challenge rather than as a competition. If you’ve got the stuff to make others recipes, do it and leave them ratings. If not, don’t worry about it. If a clear ‘winner’ emerges than that’s great, but if not, we all had fun and challenged ourselves to (likely) go outside of our comfort zones with mixing. Except for you @DarthVapor …I’m not convinced you have a comfort zone. :wink: And your mixills (mixing skills…like what I did there? LOL) are kind of intimidating.

2 Likes

Since we can see who rated and commented, then only ratings with a comment would count.

And you know to make it more fair this could be divided into category as some people who may be great mixers only do bakery, or only creams, fruits, fruit/cream etc. And what spurs more attention than prizes?

I know this was your idea but I will offer to supply one of the prizes should this get going. I would be more than happy to sponsor with a nice mod or tank, or combo. This sound like great fun but would require some organization.

1 Like

I would not find this unreasonable to supply as a grand prize, or if we got others interested in sponsoring maybe a prize like this for each category -

2 Likes

Awww @JoJo thank you very much but I hope I’m not intimidating :frowning:

LMFAO! Wow you really know me! I actually do not have a comfort zone…in anything! I’m crazy like that :wink:

But I did just find I’m stepping out of a comfort zone by not leaving a dirty comment about how I don’t have a comfort zone…it was really hard for me not to…

2 Likes

I’m with ya on the fun part though!

My wife had a really good idea too for a challenge. Is using your name!

Like JASON

J-asmine
A-pricot
S-trawberry
O-range
N-ectarine

idk…I found it interesting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bummer if your name is Bartholomew or Maximiliano :smile:

4 Likes

I was with ya all the way up to the tfv4 part :wink:

I’ll give it some more thought and hopefully more people will throw their ideas in the pot and we can come up with something for the new year!!

I just don’t want anyone to feel as though they can’t participate or that they don’t feel good enough to join. It’s all about fun and pushing yourself, well for me at least!

1 Like

ROFL. Yeah, I bet. :stuck_out_tongue: You’ve only got, what, 8 pages of recipes compared to the 1.5 I have and I’ve been around here longer than you? Nah, you’re not really intimidating I’m just a slacker. LoL.

2 Likes