Just a Ramble

So I was whipping up few recipes today “5 or so” and began to think… Man I really need to organize. I use ziploc gallon bags- and probably 5/6 of them filled with so many flavors… Double buying, thinking I have something just to find out I used it all last brew… This type stuff.

Final days total brews… 1080ml in 120ml bottles. Good day with A LOT of custard steeping!

Hope all is well with everyone!

Dan

8 Likes

Looks like a good mixing day. Now comes the wait time. Anticipation can be so sweet…and I bet those flavors will be sweet as well. Thanks for sharing your day’s “work” with us.

5 Likes

I too have recently outgrown the zipper baggie method. I’m currently working on a “novel” solution. Keep an eye out, I’ll post it up in the not to distant future. Either a new thread or I’ll tack it onto the existing ‘lets see your organization skills’ thread.

8 Likes

As someone who is pathologically unorganized and in dire need of help, I anxiously await your “novel” solution.

Short of getting a nanny and a maid, I fear I will never have order brought to the chaos that is my life and living space. :scream_cat:

6 Likes

Hehe @FL_Vaper I think we have much in common. The ONLY parts of my life that have sanity, are the:

• Mixing Cave
  • Lawn
  • Garage
  • Drum Recording Area

ALL OTHER aspects are chaos.

7 Likes

@D.Sims I got your six.

All I can offer is my opinion, you’ll have to decide YOUR system.

I hate to say it, and most everyone HATES to hear it, but keeping an inventory, especially on an Excel spreadsheet, is almost a must, once you start getting deep into this. Double buying, unneeded panic buys, running out of stock, are ALL issues without having an easily updatable, accessible list. I highly recommend going through you entire stash, writing it down (makes it easier), then get a drink (or seven), and load them ALL into a spreadsheet. I run two, one for my small bottles, and one for my jugs. I “try” to track burn rate and trends, but it’s a work in progress.

I organize ALL my flavors first by MFG, then alphabetically therein. I’ve never had any other system that works. Ideally you’ve have racks for all of your working bottles (small). Racks are great, because they allow you to SEE all your flavors, and most are 5-7 tiers, so you can always see on each rack. Makes for easier use.

If space/money is at a premium, you can rack up whatever you use most, then keep clearly MFG labeled boxes for other bottles, so you can easily get to them in a hurry. You had mentioned gallon ziplock bags, which might be great for possible leakage, and reducing some smells, but it’s got to be hard to be constantly opening, closing them all the time.

You know HOW you mix, and how OFTEN you mix, and those two things will probably decide for you best.

Oh, and by the way, you had me at …

6 Likes

@SessionDrummer I have an unused office on the main floor of the house, but I also have teenage boys who tend to think what’s mine is theirs if you know what I’m sayin…

I’m up in the air about it tbh. A nice “Chest of Drawers” type system, with a brewing station built in would be great, just need the right one to catch my eye.

The better half thinks the house smells like a Bakery when I brew- “Whats wrong with that” and she doesn’t like sweets. Ha!

The garage… Na… The basement has another small room I could use w/ a little custom construction that could work well.

We I do things, I DO THINGS!! Has to be done right- and perfect for my needs.

Now the motivation… I hear Menards calling my name…

4 Likes

Understood, that CAN change things a bit. I’m hoping they WONT be getting to the NIC at least. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Na… They are good kids. No worries with that, they just like to make a mess- and never clean it up! I was that age once too, so I get it…

Just bought 3 of these bad boys from the Amazon!!

Will hit the HD tomorrow for construction materials. :grinning:

7 Likes

Yes, THAT will start to make things MUCH easier for you to see, and utilize.

3 Likes

I’ve been straining my brain (not too hard to do) :wink: to think of what parts of my life “have sanity” and all I can think of are my computer (where I keep my media and other files stored across 32TB) and anything financial.

Beyond that, I’m a hot mess. I’m a procrastinator extraordinaire. If there’s something that can be done at the last minute, I’m there!

4 Likes

OMG, you have so many choices! I’m so jealous! Why don’t you hit used furniture stores looking for a chest of drawers like you described and put it down in one of them? (It sounds like what you’re looking for is a lot like what I have sitting in the middle of my family room, tbh).

I know you want things to be done “just right,” but that doesn’t happen overnight. I’ll bet if you ask anyone who has an awesome-looking setup they’ll tell you that it took them time to get it that way.

5 Likes

I agree FV. I’m working on the space today actually- and will document my progress. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was going to be a procrastinator, but decided to put it off until later. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I was going to sit down today and start my Procrastinators of the Future Now website, but meh…tomorrow might better. After I get last month’s laundry done, of course.

7 Likes

Can you do mine, too?

4 Likes

Sure, just add it to the pile. I’ll get right on it. :laughing:

5 Likes

Any of my fellow procrastinators have a Type-A friend or family member that has asked you to do something and they can’t understand why you haven’t done it right away? My father just had roughly 500 slides from the '60s and 70’s scanned and shockingly not all of them came out looking that great. :astonished: He asked if I could make them look better, and he keeps asking if I’ve done them. I haven’t worked w/ Photoshop in about 20 years, and even then it was at an amateur level. Dust and scratches are one thing, but some of these slides are grossly overexposed or almost solid red. And he thinks I’m gonna get them done right away? Yeah, not happening! :laughing:

5 Likes

Yeah, I get that. Luckily for me, I was trained in sarcastic special ops so I can shut that down real quick.

4 Likes

Welcome to the makeup display club. Be careful with how many you get: They tend to get filled up fast. I’m already overdue getting two more.

4 Likes