Lathe and CNC geekery - Driptips!

Look at this:

http://focalecig.com/Product/Tribe-Style5mlRTA-Rebuildable-Tank-AtomizerSilver-42112?SSAID=870917

2 Likes

A friend of mine bought a third eye drip tip and used a Dremel to bore out the innards and it sits flush on the cap now

1 Like

I just don’t see how they can sell that for $13 and make even a penny off of it. They must have unmanned Swiss machines pumping those out around the clock.

2 Likes

that looks perfect nice fit!!!

1 Like

Well, I finally my first one at 7 last night. I ran two tanks of peach tea with @bradslinux’s build through it, and no spitting at all.

That said, I never build that high and will probably go to shorter coils because this length of coil puts a lot of pressure on the hemp. I’m sure that I can make it a spitter. My builds are fire breathers and my juices are pretty high PG.

Clouds are very decent but flavor thus far is just ok, I definitely have to choke the AFC…remember my favorites are the Billow V2 Nano and the Bellus. I love the capacity on this tank though as it lasts nearly an hour for me with casual vaping, and I’m sure that I can make it crank at least a lititle more flavor by not crimping the hemp as badly and maybe lowering the coils.

@LordVapor, I’m with you man. But when you pat your machinists a dollar a day and use CNCs that cost <10kUSD…you can make surprisingly cheap items. I bet they spend more on tooling than anything else.

1 Like

I wonder how much of this goes on…Cantonese to English translation:

Mr Ling, you found guilty of having more than one child. The penalty will be this. You be sent to school, become machinist. You work for $1/day rest of life. We let you keep second child. If you do not agree, penalty is death.

Is that how it is I wonder? I tell you what between yourself and @LordVapor I have a new appreciation for what goes into making these machined parts. Not that I’ll turn some magic corner and start shelling out $100+ for every new tank, I just see it.

Now, onto the drip tips. Are you guys going to be turning some acrylic? I love @bradslinux tip posted above and would really be interested in that. I would also be interested in maintaining the bore of the chimney if not it even being slightly narrower. I’m using ones that are narrower now and really enjoy them. But they’re only more narrow at the point where they insert into the 510 drip tip connector. Then they open to a wider bore.

1 Like

I am going to try to make some Goblin tips. If I do anything at all with my Aromamizer I will be machining the top of it off so I can stick any tip I want on there. It is a stupid design and should have been made flat anyway. I like Brad’s fix for this. But I would be much happier with mine if I could stick any tip on it.

The only problem with this is holding onto the top. But I plan to just bore a hole into a piece of aluminum and thread it to accept the top piece of the Aromamizer and chuck it up in the lathe and buzz the top flat. Piece of cake.

2 Likes

I placed an order for some pretty colorful acrylic blanks. They should be here this week.
http://www.exoticblanks.com/_search.php?page=1&q=EA-BAA-07&x=10&y=7
and
http://www.exoticblanks.com/_search.php?page=1&q=EAM-LIMEMESH&x=11&y=8

I haven’t worked with this material before, so I’ll have to experiment on what works best with form and function and finish. I can make a bore diameter of your choice. All I need is a dimension to bore it too. (bore / counter bore) Bore to fit over the chimney, counter bore to the diameter you want. I kind of like the straight bore,
it seems to allow an expansion area like a 2-stroke engine exhaust pipe for the flow to become more laminar. (even) and reduces any whistle.

2 Likes

You can have two kids there now, they just changed the 1 child policy. I doubt a lot of that happens. This is where China is leading the US. If you don’t commute for 500 miles, work for slave wages, and live in horrendous pollution…you starve to death in a field. It’ll take another 50 years to get this country back to that high-water mark of capitalism. . .plus , very few can afford the fines.

What about replacing the entire top cap? If you have to tool up that much, i’d think it’s not far from just making a new one.

1 Like

Always more than one way to skin a cat…er…RTA.

2 Likes

I’m sure that issues with my build are wick related, hemp is very stiff at first. How you build your coils really affects the wick.

1 Like

To support my point o China being more capitalist than us: Not even one of ourbusinesses have to put out nets to prevent workers from jumping to their death. . .yet.

1 Like

We cut a lot of Acrylic for Budweiser bottling company. They were clear acrylic tubes that they used to QC the label placement on the bottles. We engraved lines around the tubes where the label tolerances were and also engraved the bottle ID number into the bottom of the gages.

Use a very sharp positive rake insert or HSS tooling ground accordingly. A light cut is probably just going to keep the heat in the material and smear the plastic. You want the heat extracted with the chip. Where Delrin is self lubricating, Acrylic is not. Coolant would be best. So keep a spray bottle of water with a few drops of dish soap in it nearby.

You may want to just polish the finish with various grits of sandpaper, finishing at 2000 grit. But you will need lots of lubrication and probably a polishing compound designed for acrylic to finish with. But if you get your tool cutting just right this won’t be an issue.

2 Likes

I have been using these, found on FT:

I would be happy to sponsor any projects or buy finished products…just putting that out there

4 Likes

The issue with China’s capitalism is more an issue of morality. They have zero ethics when it comes to doing business. That is the biggest problem with “state capitalism”.

4 Likes

I almost forgot, another way to polish acrylic is with a propane torch. Just spin the tip and heat it with the torch being careful not to melt it.

2 Likes

If I had a small CNC lathe at home I would take you up on this. Everyone keeps telling me I need to start my own shop because I have all kinds of designs for various things from hot rod parts to customizations to whatever I am into at the time. I have some material set aside at work for my Atty holder design. I just need to find the time to get some made.

Edit: Once I get moved back to Indy and I am close to my work this won’t be a problem. Being the boss has its advantages :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve been reading about this lately as I am starting to have a lot of business in China. I think they do have morality, it’s just that theirs is based on different values. Same difference as parts of the middle east. To the Chinese at least, it’s all for the collective good.

So lack of morality as viewed by us, yes. Is that to say there is an absolute morality for all humanity…I do not claim to know. This is obviously a major issue when someone in China can read my ideas as fast as you guys can. Its the true clash of cultures IMO.

3 Likes

This sums up my belief as well. I graduated with a degree in economics and I’d say you summed it up as succinctly as possible. I’d go further and say in many regards they are a better example of capitalism in regards to free markets that allow competition and laissez-faire.

1 Like

At the risk of continuing this thread hijack, let me just say that if the people of China had a choice I seriously doubt they would produce things at such a low cost. The reason for the abysmal gap between our capitalistic society and theirs is the fact US demands high wages and low prices, making competition here virtually nill while simultaneously supporting their economy where this dichotomy doesn’t exist. Ok, you economics majors are already sitting there poking enormous holes in that logic, I’m sure. It’s just how I see it. If there’s a lesson to be taught here maybe start a new thread?

Back to the topic.

I’m all for trying it. I have 2 Aromamizers. Do you have other colors of material? PM me what you have an a price. I’ll PayPal you and you can send me a couple. Does that work?

1 Like