Lathe and CNC geekery - Driptips!

I’ll grind one out of 1/4" HSS that should do the trick, It only needs to penetrate a little over 1/4".

There is a company we use that makes solid carbide offerings. They make them very tiny. If you were very good with your hands you could grind one up from a piece of HSS. But that would get ugly real fast. I can be done though

1 Like

JINX!!! LOL Great minds! I have ground a lot of tools. Both the owner and the lead guy in the machine shop I worked in where tool and die makers. They taught me some mad skills for making cutting tools.

2 Likes

I am telling you, it would be a piece of cake to zip off the top of that Aromamizer. I will probably do mine eventually.

1 Like

LOL Lazy ass! :wink:

2 Likes

Take off the chimney then take off an additional .050" or so and you are done. It would then accept any 510 tip.

1 Like

In my opinion, that is the only design flaw of the Aromamizer. It could have been so much better had they just made a flat up there.

1 Like

I must have gotten a very recent version. It has the velocity deck and takes a standard 510 drip tip.

1 Like

Mine does too. But try putting a wide bore 510 drip tip on it :wink:

1 Like

Gotcha. So it will sit flush. That could be accomplished by cutting relief into the shoulder of the drip tip
as well.

1 Like

Drawing you a picture :wink:

1 Like

Cut here…

3 Likes

It would be nice to get one to slip over that chimney, then it would be an item that requires no modifications to the cap. Yep, thats it. Why did they do a counter bore through the chimney? It isn’t going to increase flow. Bored engineers piss me off.

2 Likes

I agree. It would be nice. And it can be done fairly easily. You could use a wider groove tool. You aren’t going to see the groove anyway. But the groove would control what the diameter of the tip is. Bigger groove, bigger OD

2 Likes

My guess is to make the tube at the bottom smaller. Or a lazy engineer that designed from the bottom up. Once he got to the drip tip he realized he screwed up and had to make the top bigger. I dunno. Wondered that myself. Maybe it has to do with that baffle on the tip.

1 Like

I suspect the former. But oh well. Ima gonna pick on my wife for a bit. Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

Back at ya :wink:

1 Like

Sounds great brother.
The crius could use a better looking 510 tip instead of the glass one imho :wink:

1 Like

I HATE glass drip tips. I will be making one out of very colorful acrylic when it gets here. :smiley:
As to the Aromamizer… Problem approached, slept on and IMHO. Solved.
Liberal application of the KISS principal (Keep It Simple Stupid) was used in this instance. :wink:
I used white Delrin. It was either that or wood. LOL.
Simple snug fit. Snug enough its a real biatch to take off. But I think I will leave it there for awhile. :smiley:

9 Likes

Cool. I should be receiving my Reuleaux and Aromamizer today, so this is timely. The only thing that kinda sucks about this solution (replacing the drip tip) is that you loose one of the cool features of the Aromamizer. I tend to run builds that pop and spit a lot, so I am pretty stoked about the tip. That said, I like a huge chimney for monster lung hits too. . .would be nice to have both.

1 Like