Lathe and CNC geekery - Driptips!

I had drafting in school. Autocad was being talked about. But wasn’t in the high schools where I lived yet.

Ok, we need a source for black delrin. I guess I will have to look on McMaster

2 Likes

Plenty of it and PEEK on McMaster. They my not be the cheapest source though. They can be quite pricey on some items.

1 Like

Vespel and PEEK are both superior to delrin. . .of course both are quite expensive. I’ve used Vespel for nearly 20 years.

1 Like

What is the composition of vespel?

1 Like

Vespel, If I remember from 15 years ago, is a structural polyimide, like a structural kapton. It is right around PEEK in terms of temperature performance; I think a tad better. I believe it only comes in a blackish color similar to delrin.

1 Like

1/2" diameter x 38" long Vespel Rod - $927.00

1 Like

If you used 1/2" per tip, and lost 2" in the chuck you would end up with 72 drip tip cores. That would be $12.875 per tip. And that’s not even counting the loss of the part off tool after turning each tip. So you would probably actually only get 60-65 tips.

1 Like

Remember, I want to see pics after you turn that blue and bronze blank. Looks awesome in the raw. Can’t wait to see the final product.

1 Like

I am trying to find round stock. It would be a lot easier to make something at work. Unless I make it on the mill. I may just order some of the square stock and do that.

1 Like

Check this one out. Too bad it is out of stock.
http://www.exoticblanks.com/Junkanoo-Acrylic-Pen-Blank.html

1 Like

@bradslinux @Big_Benny_MI @vaping_tom @Pattie @therabidweasel @SthrnMixer

I will just order some blanks and some black delrin to press into the center. Over the next few weeks I will see if I can get some tips made. I am going to first make some for the Goblin Mini. If that proves to work well I will move on to other tanks. Lord knows the Aromamizer needs something designed for it. After looking at the model I made of the Aromamizer I could easily machine a flat on the top big enough to accept any 510 drip tip. I may do that eventually.

3 Likes

Hey! I said vespel and peek were quite expensive! I bought one of the Goblin tips off ebay. The guy is in Massachusetts, so near me.

I need a big chimney to replace the top cap of the freakshow…they have this huge cap and a tiny drip tip. It sucks.

2 Likes

I suspect the blanks I ordered will be here Tues or Weds. As LV can attest, most of the work is getting tooled up to perform specific cutting tasks. My tool up time won’t be that much as I have quite a few small dedicated cutting tools already ground and ready. The tip for the Goblin Mini will be very simple and straight forward. A lip on the end to retain it in the cap. No o-ring required. This is how the guy in the UK does his.

I have an idea for the Aromamizer that may or may not work. A bore/counterbore/bore arrangement to fit over the existing chimney on the cap that also penetrates the 510 tip bore. The new drip tip would slide over and inside the chimney to sit flush with the cap. Basically appearing to be a smallish chuff sitting flush with the cap. The wall thickness on my Aromamizer is .037" so it will require a very slim but somewhat long cutting tool with a very short and aggressive relief to clear the cut material. Since this will mean no o-ring grooves can be cut, it will have to be a snug slip fit. Depending on how rigid the acrylic is, this may work or not at all. The other option of course is to machine some or all of the chimney from the cap itself and make a traditional drip tip. I hate that chimney on the Aromamizer. What an aesthetic buzz kill. Good thing here is I have plenty of HSS blanks to grind cutting tools from.

Of course I will post pics. Maybe even have a giveaway and or offer a few up for sale at a reasonable price.

4 Likes

I thought of the exact same thing with the Aromamizer with a tip that slides over. I actually started modeling it up. But it just didn’t look like it would be fun to make. Much easier to just buzz that chimney off there and take a little extra to create a larger flat to accommodate larger tips and still look right.

1 Like

Yea, that small of a “slot” would be a tool snapper. Grinding a tool for it would be a chore.

1 Like

Yeah, and a curved face groover at that. They make them. But they aren’t cheap.

1 Like

Hollow ground anything adds up to $$$.

1 Like
1 Like

But you would need a special made one with the curved blade like that. Pricey pricey

1 Like

One of those that would clear .037" HAHAHA super small.

1 Like