Mentor Group (JoJo messed it up again...now its Forum-Founder and it's staying that way.)

So some folks have noticed a new group, the Mentor group. This is an idea we are playing with to highlight mixers you have been around here for a long while and who share the information they have learned.

The group isnt finalized and it never will be, it is just starting. We simply started with the oldest mixers because it was super late. If you didnt get selected then start giving better advice.

rod1

Hehe, im just kidding of course. Like i was saying, before i went gif st00pid, more people will be added but we were both working with one brain cell shared between us.

This entire group idea is up for discussion and suggestions. Im outtie for a few hours but ill be back later this afternoon. If i dont get in the shower, to go to the wifes folks right now, ive been told im in big trouble.

image(1)

33 Likes

ooooo the in laws , that cld be good or bad , for me i always had some kind of excuse to bail on those days , but it wasnt only the in laws i cldnt stand it was my ex HAVE A GOOD DAY WITH FAM

7 Likes

As a mentor, I must advise. Don’t go…

UNLESS they have a cabin in the U.P., in which case, let the ass kissing, laughing at their jokes, and complimenting their snacks commence as soon as you walk in the door.

9 Likes

Stay tuned for announcements later today… :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

whats a person gotta do for the shield , im sure computer knowledge would be a must ? that excludes me completely , anyways great idea its always fun to see things like this , since its up for discussion will there be a limit to these spots or will one day there be a few hundred ??? not trying to sound like an ass just wondering

1 Like

The shield = moderator I believe :+1:

4 Likes

lol i know i just like em lol

3 Likes

My eventual badge will be a big red circle with a diagonal line across it over my avatar.

7 Likes

since more people will be announced ill hold my nominations until then ty

1 Like

im sorry im not sure what that is supposed to be , please explain

1 Like

Are Mentors approached before being given the badge?
Are Mentors selected based on just the time they have been here and does their role change in anyway?

Would be cool to see a public place where you can ask a specific Mentor a question, kind of like a Q&A but with the best of the bunch doing the answering.

6 Likes
7 Likes

Hey I already got one of those :slight_smile:

16 Likes

While I do like the idea of the little badge thingies I think it really needs to be thought through. On the face of it, it is very nice but lets say 6 months or a year down the road one of the badged people comes in pissed off (everyone has their off days or weeks)… and whomever it is that can, decides that, that person shouldn’t have the badge anymore, or for awhile (talk about a run on sentence).
So now the badge is removed, peoples feels are hurt, other people start taking sides, ya’ll (if you’ve been around internet chats for awhile have seen it) know what I mean. Peoples feelings get hurt so easily in social circles. I don’t mean to damper the idea… I like the idea, just wish to wave caution to the idea and that if this is used we may have to find more cat gif’s for @JoJo lol

6 Likes
5 Likes

I appreciate what you’re saying and we have considered that. We will keep an eye on it and if it does become a problem in the future, we’ll revisit it.

Barring a serious infraction, it’s unlikely the membership would be revoked. This isn’t something we’ve done willy-nilly. Revoking would be even less so. As to taking sides, that’s likely going to happen no matter what. Flair or no flair, any large gathering of people is destined to split into smaller groups of more closely like-minded individuals. We’ve already seen it and we will see more of it as we continue to grow and evolve. As far as people’s feelings getting hurt…if someone’s skin is so thin that something like an icon on their avatar is enough to cause a catastrophe, maybe the internet is not the right place for them. I’m all for respecting people and doing what I can to make sure everyone feels included, but even I have my limit as to what I’m willing and able to do to make that happen.

11 Likes

Not a b ad idea, but theres plent of people who helped me who both now have the badge and also do not because they are newer.

We have different kind of experts here on the forum, and you all are just identifying with the older ones

It was easy for me to learn who gave good advise and knew there stuff after a few days of reading and watching posts. So to me it wasnt necessary at all. One mix be an expperienced mixer, great, but another might be the coil or mod expert. ALL are a huge help!

12 Likes

Copied from the announcement I posted:

The “Mentor” flair Most forums have some way of being able to distinguish the people who have been around for a long time from those who haven’t. Usually it’s a “veteran” tag of some sort, but we wanted to leave it a little more open to evolution. Technically, Discourse titles are supposed to be what does that, but we’ve used those for fun for so long I didn’t think it nice or fair to remove them. Plus, I like them the way they are. There’s also badges, but those aren’t really that obvious, you have to go searching for them. The Mentor avatar flair comes from being in a “group” of people. Other than the flair and the fact that they’re in that group, there aren’t any special privileges given. Members are welcome to leave the group whenever they want.

Some may feel left out or slighted because they weren’t included in the “Mentor” group. To you I say, don’t worry. If you stick around, participate, and are helpful, your time will come as well. The group we’ve chosen is small so far, but we’ve no intention of it remaining inaccessible. Also, if you feel someone deserves to be included but they weren’t, send a staff member a PM and tell them who and why.

Being exclusive definitely isn’t what we are after. We’re trying this on for size. If it turns out to be a really bad fit for our community, we’ll discontinue it.

7 Likes

I’m not sure about this idea not that that really matters, feels like you’re making what was a rarely talked about division (through fear of making drama) into a very obvious one, all feels very elitist to me personally…just my opinion.

14 Likes

I think at face value, nothing wrong with differentiating people who consistently help others, paying it forward, mentoring, etc. I help a lot, but not as much with mixing because I’m stronger in that regard.

Flair is NOT a bad thing. More flair please…

14 Likes