Mentor Group (JoJo messed it up again...now its Forum-Founder and it's staying that way.)

I found that badge a bit big in size.
That badge will give to some of as the will to contributing more for sure but (just thinking) I try to think of new members when they see two members have differend opinions, one with badge one with no badge. Then what that badge mean? That this members (with the badge) is infallible? And as other members mention before, anyone have a mentor that he choose. I don’t know maybe it has to be a different name than Mentor badge, maybe… a Thank you for your contribution badge.

4 Likes

Thanks…now I have that song stuck in my head. :laughing:

5 Likes

Let me just add that in a community of this size someone is always going to be butthurt. First and foremost we are here to help people by sharing ideas and knowledge.

I mentioned that last night but we went through a bunch of different colors and sizes and this was the best fit, for now.

I think this is reading more into than there is, anyone mixing for awhile knows that everyone is different when it comes to taste and this should be one of the first things a long time knowledgeable mixer should tell someone. Furthermore, anyone that has had a 2 minute conversation with me knows just how fallible i am.

This isnt going to be a “I have a badge thingamajig so i am riiight” kind of thing. It is a way of identifying long time and knowledgeable mixers. If someone is being a total douche it will be up to others in the group to keep them in check, not by arguing in the main forums but by approaching them in the private group setting.

And like i said, this was just late night thing. We went through the list of the most active long time users who are still around and started there. I have several in mind to add and will take it to the group to decide, this was just to get the ball rolling.

Lastly, if this idea doesnt work out we will move on to another. This place has over 10k unique visitors/day, it is getting bigger and changing. We need a means by which people can identify the people most able and willing to help.

And the Mentor name. JoJo must have listed off 50 synonyms and made me choose. It was this or Wizzard…

17 Likes

Yep I like that better!

3 Likes

Got dammit, now i like it better again too…

6 Likes

Any time I see the name I read it in hagrids voice and he says your wizard arry

4 Likes

@Ken_O_Where @JoJo and @daath

You are all awesome. “I have a badge thingamajig so i am riiight”

:slight_smile:

10 Likes

Seriously tho, just the name was changed several times over the hour we discussed what it should be. Decisions are hard…

2 Likes

Oh I’m great at making decisions…it’s the idea of dealing with the consequences I have problems with. :rofl:

11 Likes

you chose Mentor over Wizard??..OMG Ken…this world’s gone crazy (facepalm)

7 Likes

I know buddy, just put your tinfoil hat on and the voices will stop. :wink:
Seriously tho I don’t think the name as long as it doesn’t imply they are infallible maters all that much.

1 Like

See now I like Wizard better too…but as Ken said (about himself), I’m a huge geek so take that fwiw.

4 Likes

consequences-ahead-sign

Edit: 348 posts later shows my “clairvoyance.” You may now address me as “The Oracle.”:grin::grin::grin:

6 Likes

everyone knows the saying …

‘Always be yourself…unless you can be a Wizard…then always be a Wizard’

wait…it might be Batman…:thinking:

8 Likes

See all you had to do was ask the guy that knows everything!

pugs I mean

4 Likes

Wrong type of motivation imo… you had it right the first time… the best helpers do it because the LIKE to !!!

4 Likes
2 Likes

Somewhere in here i saw something about a reviewers group. I like that idea.

6 Likes

dont we have one the pugs teams ( kind of ) ?

2 Likes

We do but but highlighting them could help with new users ability to pick them out quickly. Just considering all ideas to help make ELR a better place for all.

We kinda let things go for awhile, we would like to change that. ELR was always about helping new mixers and we would like to continue that tradition. With that mindset we are open to ideas to make this a better place for all of us.

8 Likes