Michigan becomes first state to ban flavored e-cigarettes, cites dangers of vaping

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/09/04/michigan-bans-flavored-e-cigarettes/2207061001/

8 Likes

I think they should ban water too, everyone who’s ever died has been drinking it.

8 Likes

From Coyne Young -

And if only the government and state officials put this much effort into banning cigarettes when they found all the negative effects of cigarette smoking

and absolutely correct

11 Likes

I understand they’re talking about nicotine flavoured liquids, not flavours itself… But still, this is unbelievable!!!

What about fighting drug dealers and counterfeited THC carts, instead of fighting Vaping, will they ban “Their” kids from smoking cancer sticks?? Doubt it…
And they won’t say anything that thanks to stupid laws the percentages of smoking sigs amongst kids increases… But that’s what they clearly want!

7 Likes

This is not a partial ban on some flavors or some retail locations. Online and retail sales of flavored vapor products are banned after a 30-day sell-through period.
Take Action TODAY by calling Governor Whitmer’s office and urging her to rescind this order.

(517) 373-3400

11 Likes

Yet, a patently false dichotomy is (oddly) being purveyed: “It does not cover tobacco-flavored e-cigarettes.” It almost seems as if the term “tobacco” has some transcendently immune status. Why not just buy a tad of tobacco and NET (at a small fraction of any/all such costs) ? Beating them by not joining them in the first place. Ginormous Tobacco and State earn a mere pittance - and the people reasonably/rightfully carry on !

2 Likes

Many people myself included do not like tobacco vapes.

It will likely create a domino effect over there and our government will likely blindly follow. It will have far-reaching consequences.

As I have mentioned before NETS are simply not possible here.

7 Likes

Even with those astronomical costs, NET extraction is so efficient that it would likely be quite economical - unless access to Nicotine itself (and/or PG, VG, etc) was either significantly jacked-up in price or banned (I am aware that your own country has a number of troubling prohibitions and policies). As for what people like to vaporize and inhale - some people do like to inspire “foodstuff flavorings”. … :yum: In the new Dark Ages, it seems that the Food Police have acquired many of the tactics of the Drug Police, patrolling personal orifices and (it seems) Michigan will be allowing any/all (labeled as being amorphous synthetic) “tobacco” flavorings. That might seem to result in (perhaps more harmful) ingredients being pushed as (wink) “tobacco” flavorings A “registry” of allowed “tobacco” flavor-chemicals (like California almost established) would seem the result. Such a system would preferentially accommodate big-money players in vaping products (aka “big tobacco”).

7 Likes

Should have titled the thread “How to Scrape Votes and Kiss Big Tobacco’s Ass”.

7 Likes

Still haven’t solved the drinking water crisis in Flint, so let’s ban flavored e-juice! Brilliant!

Anyone got the number to a good ophthalmologist? I seemed to have strained me glozzies from the eye roll…

11 Likes

The chemicals in vaping can be turned into Anti Freeze…is she fucking kidding. …someone needs to start a YT show that tears these peoples bullshit apart with facts everytime they put something out we need to disect it and show how stupid they really are

4 Likes

Can’t view or find the video. Ethylene Glycol ? That could come in handy in Winter, if one runs out of PEG-400 based Anti-Freeze. Just dump all your e-juices into the car radiator on those cold, icy mornings. … :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Its one of the first things the lady says in the video…

2 Likes

Yup, and Glycerin can be turned into Nitroglycerin. Tell her to throw out and hose-down all her skin creams !

6 Likes

Man, along with these crazy exploding 18650’s, I better stop vaping while I still have a face!!!

4 Likes

How disgusting of governments we have. Everything is directed by capitalism, people don’t matter. I hate this system

6 Likes

Looks like the US “press” may have summarily “jumped the gun” a bit ? It appears that the Michigan Dept of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) is subject to all of the various rule-making procedures (including public hearing(s)) set forth in the Michigan Administrative Procedures Act (specifically, according to these requirements). So, it seems that folks will be able to show up to their (normally, dreadfully) boring hearing(s), and “participate” in the rule-making processes. One can bet that some “stakeholder” vendors will be there. The draft-rule(s) required in order to post notice of hearing(s) has yet to be made public (as is required),

The “press” is evidently so biased against vaping (among other sinful pleasures) that they pretty much all seem to be “shilling” for regulatory prohibitions. Such “saints” the media are for inventing bogus “realities”.

5 Likes

No. It’s political lobbying, make no mistake. But, people don’t matter.

1 Like

The latter is a function of the former - and particularly pernicious since the Citizens United decision of the SCOTUS (allowing secret political contributions). “Corporations are people”. Faceless powerful puppeteers:

Source: https://static5.businessinsider.com/image/59e4e7ebd4e9200c058b5aa0-1200/top-lobbying-industries.png

Interestingly, so-called “Big Tobacco” is way down on the list (at just a few million dollars here and there, I think). Perhaps those corporations now “give at the office” with the Tobacco Settlement extracted revenues.

3 Likes

Soooooo many good quotes here. I have a few family out there, and they are BEYOND enraged. I don’t live there, but have heard, they really have a LOTTA crap pilling up, and why they decided to put a ban on anything vaping, is just more than laughable. I’m not a hater, but damn… Flavored vapes, THAT’s what you’re going to spend time on ??

9 Likes