Mutation X V4 flavor build

Mine came with plugs to close off the bottom airflow. I put in some Clapton coils yesterday and flavor was a bit better. Besides trying the stovetop coils, I’m also thinking of trying some triple twisted coils that are semi flattened.

4 Likes

Oh ya, I remember now.

like the old macro coils? where you build a very small coil with about a 1mm ID and just stuff some cotton underneath?

I also use this for flavor testing. Takes very little cotton and is a breeze to re-wick.

I bring it up because the Mutation Xv4 and all the versions for that matter are not that great IMO. The flavor is mediocre at best. It wasn’t that great when it first came out. Of course, this is only my opinion and is worth less than the quarter used to show the size of the reaper lol.

I hope you find what your looking for and I hope you are able to get that mutation dialed in.

4 Likes

It would be 2mm or 2.5mm coils similar to the twisted ones advised in the beginning of this thread, but they would have a flatter surface.

I’ll have to try that rda when the boss lifts my embargo.

4 Likes

the tin man flat ribbon build would go nice in this one as well.

4 Likes

If you have a drill, go a little tighter on the twists. You’ll end up with better heat flow/distribution throught the wire. I have never of heard of rayon wicks. What’s so different as opposed to organic cotton?

4 Likes

Here’s a thread on rayon. Post 14 has links to ECF where I actually came across it. Rayon VS Cotton - One to rule them all

I use rayon for my profile rda, kylin m rta, and drop rda. I have yet to use any fire bolt cotton or cotton threads that look like shoelaces, though I am thinking of grabbing a pack to try sometime.

This is where I show how to use it in the profile rda. Best flavor rdas post 36 is where it starts.

5 Likes

Definitely sounds interesting. Might have to try it sometimes. I personally love the firebolt cotton because it is the perfect thickness for 3-4mm ID builds in my experience. I am however partial to the thick pads of Japanese or Egyptian organic cotton, as I like to strip those apart and roll the fibers together inside the skin, like a Scottish roll but with the fibers tucked inside. But I’m weird and enjoy wasteful and tedious methods of wicking lol.

4 Likes

I’ve tried the Scottish roll before and it was good. Rayon is tedious, so I would recommend it for someone that enjoys wicking that way. I forgot to mention that I also use it in my dead rabbit rta as well, but I only use that with a single coil.

4 Likes

What is the RDA you’re using for this, Dan? I saw the coils prebuilt and I love this idea honestly.

5 Likes

It’s the Mad Hatter V2 but I can’t find it anywhere. If you can find a velocity style deck with side airflow. Like this one perhaps
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3041/10019596/5496100

4 Likes

Wow, the first one was out of stock when I went back to look at it. These are in stock at the moment but it’s 24 dollars. Fasttech is the only place I have found something that will work.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3041/10019596/6489703

3 Likes

looks terribly turbulent some kinda cross between a fuel and …idk. There are many better and cheaper options out there, search old school velocity decks. Tho the whole concept is not my cup of tea since am not that picky and w/ using hemp i can switch flavors frequently, I am curious why u couldnt use a clamp type post where the cotton ball would rest between the lolly and the post :thinking: Hopefully she gets a long w/ the Dread tho.

6 Likes

It’s different, which fits me, if I can figure it out I’ll let you know what I think. Should be fun in any case.

6 Likes

Had a couple of mutations over time and never bonded with them. Tiny decks and huge fat Ogre fingers don’t get along. Got one working once but it was more like a career choice than a simple coil placement. I’ve been getting along with postless and upward facing posts? on RDA’s. WidowMaker, Tauren Solo, Drop, Asvape Mini, Phobia have proven to be pretty nice. I use them on mechs so I try to keep a balance between heat flux, mass, and resistance. Single core claptons of various gauges have been doing a nice job of pooling liquid, heating fast, cooling fast, and putting out good flavor. I like the looks of brass so I have to steer clear of too much heat capacity.

8 Likes

Ya, I think that would work and I hope she gets along with it too.

I agree I was mostly leaving the link so she could check out some velocity style decks if she so chose.

The H3ll you say!!! Seriously though, I want to know all about this “hemp” you speak of. I have been searching for better wicking material. I am finding that cotton just sucks (for me). It mutes my flavors and I don’t like it. I will be trying rayon as soon as it arrives but I never considered hemp. I am terribly curious now.

4 Likes

I use hemp for my teas and tobaccos, Dan… takes the wick a bit to break in, but been using hemp for many years… You should try it. :grin:

some even come in our coil sizes… easy to slide in… just make sure it is 100% natural… no dyes. You will be fine.

Hemp Twine: Craft & Jewelry Twine - Hemp Traders <example.

I bought enough years ago I still have not had to buy any more.

5 Likes

Aye as @anon84779643 mentioned there is a woody tasting break in but goes nicely w/ many profiles. Only takes a couple ml to get thru tho and easily move on to the next flavor since it doesnt retain flavor. Many have recv’d samples courtesy of @therabidweasel and he has created and chimed in many threads here so ill let you decide for yourself reading those opinions. It is safe to say it’s not for everyone or many rtas since it doesn’t fluff as cotton/rayon does to fill juice holes. I recently have switched to rayon from cotton in rtas that hemp cant be used and am hooked there as well. https://www.hemptraders.com/product-p/f-sl1.htm would be the proper product to use and tho initially pricey, a kilo will last you and many others forever. Gl to you!

5 Likes

This was @therabidweasel 's tutorial Hemp Wicking Tutorial

6 Likes

Thanks for the link @delltrapp and @worm1 and @anon84779643

6 Likes

So I got it going pretty good now.
Using these

Using the bottom plugs and wicking with organic Japanese cotton pads and using the Scottish roll wicking method.

Half of the side airflow open gives pretty good flavor.

5 Likes