N.E.T. ~ Real Tobacco Flavor in a Vape Juice

Yup… depending on where you are on the globe, quite a few. Your location is_____?

This is a matter of individual/personal opinion. :wink:

For me, I put NETs in the (practically) shake and vape category. I put a fresh mix through a warm rice bath while I’m giving it a whiz with a milk frother for 10 to 15 minutes… but, after that, it’s pretty much good to go.

As my NET compadre @Josephine_van_Rijn would say… “If it tastes good to you… it has steeped long enough.” :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Aleman I have a few NETS and mixes I could send samples if you are US. PM me if you decide to go NETS. A small group of us do it quite well. @Kinnikinnick and @Josephine_van_Rijn is your main NET peeps I think.

If I left anyone out please let me know. I do not intend too. I just know I learned a lot from kinnik.

1 Like

Southern California

Sent using the mail.com mail app

1 Like

http://www.naturally-extracted-tobacco.com/mobile/default.aspx

https://real-tobacco-extract.com/tobacco

https://www.want2vape.com/mobile/home.asp#homeSubCat_1_1

I don’t know if all of the vendors on the below ECF post are still up and running… but it’s a fairly exhaustive list of vendors.

Good luck!

P.S. I learned a great deal about macerating my own tobacco extracts from ECF! There is a fountain of knowledge there and on ELR about making your own NET. A little bit of reading will save you tons of time and money. :wink:

Thanks @Kinnikinnick! I’m reading up when I have time. I gather that most are extracting pipe tobacco blends. I used to try rolling smokes out of my Grandpas pipe tobacco and it was nasty. Then stuck in a car with a bunch of old guys (Now I am one) with the windows barely cracked and they’re all smoking pipes. Makes me cringe thinking about it. Is it true that extracting from cured leaf it self will not yield good vape results?

Albeit, you have some bad sense memories of early days… try not to let the days of the old combustion factor ruin the possibility of a wonderful tobacco vaping experience for you now. NET is truly a horse of a different color, in comparison to the way tobacco tastes and smells once you set fire to it! :scream:

That would be incorrect information… and, I’d be interested to know where you got that info.

All tobacco is cured in some form or fashion:

Your source might be referring to processed vs unprocessed leaf. I’ve had both types in vape form and the outcome was splendid. I’m actually vaping a cured, but unprocessed Fronto leaf extract at this very moment… truly sublime! :sunglasses: … here’s the leaf vendor:

The flavor factor of a NET juice hinges in part on the maceration process. There are multiple ways to macerate tobacco to yield a NET extract. “Which way” depends on what “flavor notes” you wish to extract from the cured leaf.

2 Likes

@Kinnikinnick
I read through a bunch of forum posts and saw a post from someone that had bad luck extracting from cured leaf. Not sure where that was. Anyhow I have a buddy that buys cured but unprocessed leaf from somewhere and rolls his own. Untaxed since it’s not processed. He is out of the country right now but we stay in touch through email. BTW his smokes taste great not that I smoke them anymore. He blends Virginia Bright leaf and Burley. You NET guys have piqued my interest. I imagine I will end up going this route probably sooner than later. Have a lot to learn first. Barely getting started digging in. What method should I go for first and which leafs should I start with? I am hoping to zero in fast before I buy a lot of flavors I won’t use like I have done with the synthetics. Looking for a straight up not too perfumey tobacco with maybe a little sweetness but not much. Not too much spice.

Sounds like you need an experienced NET extractor to send you some samples !

I argued with myself for a while, whether or not to post the following: but what the heck here goes:

There is, on many internet forums, an effect of “singing to the choir” . Don’t get me wrong, I respect and value highly the ECF threads on NET, but you have to realize that some of those threads have become focused on extracting only from ‘old English Traditional’ blends to the exclusion of everything else. Oddly enough, when they do venture out of that realm they land, of all places, on infused artificially flavored very low quality (although sold at high prices) things like the ACID line of cigars ! From all of that tends to come coments like you quote about pure leaf extracts, which are quite incorrect.

My guess is, some folks take short cuts on the maceration methods of unprocessed whole leaf, expecting great results. :smirk: When the extract yields something quite lackluster or weak… of course they blame the leaf, instead of their “quickie/down and dirty” maceration techniques.

I am allowed to cast a few stones in my glass house, because I’ve macerated a few lackluster extracts myself! :pensive: I didn’t know what I didn’t know. I didn’t give the leaf the maceration technique it needed to be an awesome extract.

Much of NET is trial and error on the part of the creator. The creators job is to get it right and pass on good information to others. :grinning: Too often, some folks pass on knee jerk reactions and opinions which muddy the waters for everyone else.

1 Like

If you like a tobacco vape, then you will not be disappointed with NET. :wink:

I started my NET ventures back in ‘15 and I’m still enjoying discovering new tobacco to macerate. That’s the fun… there are SO many tobaccos and blends from which to choose!

I’ve primarily been macerating pipe tobacco blends, thus far; really enjoy most of them. However, I have a cart at leafonly.com loaded with a few whole leaf single varieties. I’m doing my reading homework/research prior to hitting the buy button. :wink:

For starters, if you do go down the pipe tobacco road first, steer away from the flavored or “cased” tobacco blends. Look for the “Non-Aromatic” tobaccos; straight, unadulterated Virginia, Burley, Latakia, Izmir, or Perique, to name a few. These will give you the truest taste of the tobacco without being muddled by other flavors. To be honest, I have found that most of the added flavors or casings rarely make it through to the final extract.

The straight, non-aromatic tobacco types (or blends) can be purchased, by the ounce, at an extremely low cost; around $1.50 to $3.50.

1 Like

Thanks guys for the info. I’ll keep reading up for now. Sooner or later I’ll give it a try.

Hey @Kinnikinnick
I have a few questions if you don’t mind. How on this forum do you quote parts of peoples posts? So that the orig poster is included? Apparently I am being ignorant here…

I looked around on the Leaf Only site. I see mostly by the pound sales. Do they have any sales by the oz or less than a pound? I did see some items that could be ordered by .25Lb. But not all. Is there anyone that sells by the oz that you know of? Don’t want to buy a Lb of something I might not like. I figure a pound would last a very long time.

And it looks like cold maceration would be easiest but slow. I also gather that cold processes might have the best flavor. What are most of you guys doing or are you trying out out all methods? I see use of heat to speed things up, using solvents like PGA along with PG etc. I am ready to buy some leaf and just put it in a jar with PG and let it go awhile. Then worry about filtering and all that. It looks pretty simple to me and I want to give it a go.

Thanks man!

Highlight the statement/words you want… you should see a “Quote” box below… click Quote and BAM… done!

Quarter pound is as low as they go.

Not whole leaf. But, you can purchase pre-cut, single varietal type and blended tobacco by the ounce from most online tobacco vendors.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/

I use a few different methods… however, the easiest method to start off your NET journey would be as listed below:

NET ~ PG version:

Here’s a bullet point version of how perform PG macerations:

• 1 oz of tobacco in a jar with 150ml of PG or until you top the tobacco with PG.

• Warm jar for 6 to 8 hours at no more than 150 degrees. (110 to 130 is best)

• Place jar in cool dark closet for at least 30 days (longer is better for cigar leaf).

• Strain maceration extract through a coffee filter at least 3 times; 2.5 micron scientific filters are best for final filter.

• Mix at roughly 15% ratio with base mixture

• Enjoy!

:grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll give it a go.

@Kinnikinnick has already give you excellent sources but I want to give you this link as well… Type in"BULK" in the Search Box WIndow… They have excellent customer service and you can buy usually as little as 1 0z from their “bulk selections”

Some tobaccos will extract much faster than others. Your pure leaf Burleys and Virginias will take longer and may require some technique and patience. For a very fast extraction to get you started (vapeable within 2 weeks!) I would recommend try:

Missouri Meerschaum: American Patriot 1.5oz
Product Number: 003-673-0004
Unusual for a pouch tobacco, American Patriot is built around Latakia, with quality Virginia and Turkish Smyrna added for breadth, and a bit of Burley and black Cavendish to ensure good burning characteristics. A light top note of Kentucky Bourbon enhances the aroma, but is kept in small enough a quantity to not effect flavor.
Blended by Russ Oulette for Missouri Meerschaum.

Oops! Forgot to mention the word “bulk”, when searching for 1oz selections; thanks for catching that. :grinning: … makes it a lot easier to find what ya need.

I’ve heard good things about the Meerschaum, but seems like every time I had a cart loaded up, P&C was out of stock on the American Patriot. :smirk:… popular stuff, I guess.

I have just mostly given my business to smokingpipesdotcom, as P&C is always OOS on everything, and their ‘backorder’ system is a pain as it leaves you hanging out with ‘open orders’ that fill or not into the future. Just my 2cents. :crazy_face:

Thanks @50YearsOfCigars ! Exactly what I’m looking for, and I’m going to try that American Patriot. I’m excited to try this out. Is that 2 weeks using the method @Kinnikinnick posted above?

Went ahead and ordered the American Patriot and McClelland: 2015 Virginia-Perique Flake blend 1oz. Kind of like shooting in the dark here. Pretty much the only smoking that I did was various cigs and an occasional cigar so I haven’t a clue of what blends and flavors actually taste like. Other than from ejuice flavorings and I don’t know how those stack up to the real deal. Probably not well is my guess. I don’t like the Virginias that I have tried so maybe I’m already off track ordering a Virginia blend. But what the hell going to give it a go!

Quick question: Once you have your NET concentrate how long will they keep? I ask because it appears that I will end up with more concentrate than I will ever be able to use!

Ya never know until you give some of them a try! :grinning: I wouldn’t discount this tobacco just yet. My guess would be this Va/Per will be a very pleasant, easy on the tastebuds, but flavorful dessert type tobacco vape. I’ve macerated a few Va/Per blends and have enjoyed them all. They make for a nice morning, “wake up” vape or nice when you have those sweet tooth cravings.

I have a NET acquaintance who has macerated this tobacco. I’ve reached out to him for information on his maceration process. :wink:

PG has a shelf life of roughly 2 years.

The key to long term storage of extracts and mixed NET is; airtight glass bottles, minimum headspace, protecting them from sunlight (UV) and keeping them cool, the cooler the better. When kept at room temperature and in a dark place they can last for years; no doubt longer in the fridge.

I’ve yet to need and try it but, I highly suspect stored in a freezer, they’d last for decades; just my humble opinion. :wink: