New database error discussion thread

What? No! :rofl: Jk, but I hope you give it a shot one of these days. It’s very effective :+1:

5 Likes

Request, please, relating to “Invalid/Unknown Flavor Name” etc:
I saw that I am not the only one… I have read bits, but still do not really understand how this happened.
I have around 50 flavours in my stash now without names.
Most affected are rare, if not non-existent on here, so is it possible to not change anymore of those, please? (if that is what happened?).
Why not stick to removing obvious duplicates and changing/merging flavours where a clear correct name exists, or those in wrong format? Weird, barely used, older or really new flavours should be ignored, I think, if in correct format. That does not require software changes and reduces work! I do NOT think entry of new flavours should be restricted or need approval… too cumbersome.
Many affected are Bakers Flavor, so original names are Russian, without an agreed upon translation I could find, so who decides what is “Invalid”? Others were discontinued, and/or no manufacturer was ever known (Chef’s Rebranded Range or Sasami “Tropic”, which I bought straight from Mainzer Liquid Service (Sasami), but is discontinued, probably replaced by “Tropical”, which is different).
I always use correct format and try hard to find the correct name, not just going by the label, because I get the issues with the data base.
And, while here: why have Jungle Flavors turned into Flavor Jungle? Not the same thing… JF is manufacturer, nothing to do with Flavor Jungle, US vendor, as surely many people know? Don’t think JF have their own site?
And 4 of my Medicine Flower have been changed to (merged with?) “Premium”. Mine are older, and while MF say “Premium” range is same, were older ones not supposedly PG-free? And I will have no way to differentiate, in stash. It’s sorta like merging DIYFS HHG V1 and V2… well, maybe not quite.
Are the people doing the work reading the comments here??
Btw, I have no back-up, because I cannot get it to work, not complaining, just saying: when exporting CVS file, on Windows (worse) or Mac (better, but not great) notes are incomplete (randomly) in spreadsheet, text files are total gibberish. Printing produces 2 columns with boxes for each flavour, and notes that go over the page end are missing or over-written. Would printing not work better with one column and no boxes?
Respect to those trying to improve things, but did not expect this and am worried it will get worse. I appreciate this site, and all the hard work that goes into it, so am not complaining (or trying not to!).
I cannot remember if I ever used this forum, been using ELR for going on 4 years, but not really into forums and social media. If not: “hello all” and thanks to all who post flavour notes and recipes… this site is great and almost unique in what it offers.

6 Likes

First off, welcome back to the forums.
Just so you know all clean-up processes on the database have been suspended until a plan for re-configuring the database and the associated naming conventions, as it relates to the recipe calculator, can be worked out by the owner. When that will take place is unknown at this time.

6 Likes

Thank you, that is good to know.
Suggestion:
Instead of making changes to how database works, to avoid the issues, why not, when people first sign up, make them aware of issues? Make them read tutorial about how to add flavours, click a few boxes, before they get an account - have them acknowledge the correct format, and maybe say account could be suspended for repeat violators? If language is loose, it does not actually need to happen, but it might make people think before randomly adding stuff. At first, people do not understand that it affects everyone. It was certainly like that for me: it took a few months before it dawned on me…

6 Likes

There has been nothing suggested that hasn’t already been stirred around the think tank. I’m not part of the inner circle of anything to do with elr-recipe calculator/database but I’ve read the proposals, complaints, and debates that come up over the years. It seems there has not been a realizable solution to the flavor names database issue or we wouldn’t still be talking about it.

All suggestions boil down to the following:

• lock it out so only a select privileged set of admins can add a new entry or modify an existing one
  • add smarts to the input functionality to only allow a user to enter an approved name/nomenclature.
  • leave it as is and perform cleanup in the background.
  • eliminate the problem via education

These things have been circulating as long as the calculator has been around.

From my vantage(not in the circle), solutions that require code change, bullets one and two, will be a mystery without access to the admin side of discourse and the various dependency source/data that makes up the elr-calculator. The owner has not, and maybe never will, open that up as an open source project. That is their choice as well as their right. So, unless someone provides a plugin or wrapper, etc. , created without access or privelage, that can be offered up as a ready to go plug-n-play solution, bullets one and two are off the table.

Bullet three has been tried with a fair amount of success but requires a very large effort along with a large time contribution. It also makes the contributors a target of user frustration, anger, curiosity, etc. . For reasons I’m sure are quite valid, the bullet three method is currently on hold.

Bullet four is a utopian fantasy that works in theory but not in practice.

5 Likes

I suggested that same idea a few years back. I even wrote a Flavor Stash Guide so people could reference it.
forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/t/the-elr-users-guide-to-creating-your-flavor-stash/188210
But human nature being what it is, teaches us that if someone doesn’t want to do something of their own accord, they never will. It would be foolish to try and enforce it. Believe me I’ve tried.

And as @JiM210 said above, every conceivable idea has been discussed over and over, with no action taken to date.

9 Likes

That was a good tut @TorturedZen.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen that tutorial before - I like it :+1:

6 Likes

Yes, thank you, your efforts were appreciated, and I read your tutorial, and it explained a lot, but did not find it until after I’d been using ELR for a while… and sorta skimmed the guide…
I surely cannot be only person who did not think about database and dupes, so while you cannot change people who do not want to know, you can provide info for those that do, and by doing it early, you avoid mistakes, which of course then require 3rd option listed by JiM210, so obviously, it’s not a be-all-end-all solution. So from my limited, personal perspective, I can say it worked for me… But if you just want to mix some e-juice today, you tend not to look for tutorials, but you have to register and sign in, so it made sense to me to suggest to do it then… and I still think it makes sense, while understanding it might not be practical and or new, but I will never agree that education of any kind is utopian fantasy!

8 Likes

For those flavours that were recently removed from database, the other info is also gone: recipes, notes etc, although my notes are still there, so maybe there were none dunno? But some were also changed: JF Tropic into Tropical Breeze by Flavor Jungle, for example, so the recipes for JF Tropic are now gone, and I could have sworn there were a few? I saw in other thread something about reversing changes, so just wanted to say I, for one, would really appreciate that, if it’s possible. The other thread was titled something about Real Flavors Notes, so this seemed more appropriate here.

4 Likes

Sorry, can’t find a way to add a post without using “reply”…

3 Likes

@SPC2 Tropical Breeze is a One shot so it couldn’t have been changed to that. Maybe “JF Tropic” to “Tropic (JF)”

6 Likes

Tropic JF was changed to Tropical Breeze Flavor Jungle, which is One Shot, but nevertheless, that’s what happened. You could call Tropic a One Shot, too, though, and database does not distinguish between SF and one shot, surely? All my JF were changed to Flavor Jungle…

6 Likes

(Flavor Jungle) was formally known as Jungle Flavors (JF). The owners decided to switch their name around for some reason. Then, at some point, I believe somebody somewhere decided to change (Juice Factory) to (JF).

Add to that the fact that many users quite often enter only half-names or jumbled versions of the brand/vendor initials. With that in mind, it would be easy to mistake Tropic (JF) for a flavor by Jungle Flavors.
It has become extremely convoluted and is just another example of how the naming conventions are screwed up.

5 Likes

You know what @TorturedZen I’ll be you, if I go back through all of my one-shot and flavor notes for Jungle Flavor / Flavor Jungle, I probably have them listed BOTH ways, (Jungle Flavors), (Flavor Jungle).

5 Likes

My Jungle Flavor concentrates got changed (by the system) to Flavor Jungle. I had input them as Jungle Flavor (JF) as that’s what mine were labelled as. I also have a couple of Juice Factory flavours which I took off the stash as I don’t use them, But pretty sure they listed as (Juice Factory) not (JF) in the stash…

6 Likes

No, pretty sure that’s not right. Jungle Flavors is EU manufacturer, nothing to do with Flavor Jungle. FJ don’t even sell JF, and JF is still sold here in UK, by NomNomz and VapourDepot, and by DIYe-juice in Canada and in Germany, for example by Savevape.de. JF concentrates have not changed since I started DIY in 2019, the range is still the same, and FJ have never sold JF concentrates, either, as far as I know. This is JF from NomNomz:
Jungle Flavors Archives - Nom Nomz UK
Sorry, did not work as link, but can be pasted into browser…
JF themselves do not have a website that I can find, although cannot imagine that vendors ring up to order, but who knows… They’ve never been huge, but have been consistently the same since I know them.

3 Likes

Link did work after all…

2 Likes

And Flavor Jungle did not switch it around, they were formerly Flavors Express, as their own line of single flavour concentrates is still called…

3 Likes

But whoever made changes to database was clearly of same opinion as you, TZ!

3 Likes