Real Flavors Super Concentrates Tasting Notes (Part 1)

Well to be completely honest I don’t get much of a caramel note in that recipe and probably wouldn’t miss it at all if I simply removed it from the recipe

3 Likes

RF SC caramel is very good btw. It really does have that caramel aroma and flavor. Been using that at .5%

5 Likes

@Walt_RealFlavors im putting an order together and would love to get one of the french toast since i havent had either could you tell me the big difference besided the price l im reffering to the SC vs the beta thank you

2 Likes

Remember coconut, almond, condensed milk :laughing: (i am goint to switch out the fa almond for rf sc almond - i like it more)

5 Likes

i have the condensed milk on their but i have 30ml of fa almond so ill wait on that but i will add coconut bc i have cap and tpa which im not a fan of either especially tpa

3 Likes

ok guys, i got my SC’s in (link: http://pastebin.com/gysYKabc )

I want to start mixing 2 x a day, and testing at 2days, 7 days, 14 days, and 1 month. I will try my best to keep to this schedule, so i can keep reviewing and leaving notes as it progresses…

My recipes i like are usually in the 80/20 - 70/30 ratio range, So i will be mixing my testers at 75/25 3mg.

alright… notes to follow, I will start testing tomorrow, as i am awaiting the 2 day mark to start each test.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Holy fuck! You have all these flavors? O…MG!

1 Like

RF pineapple 1-3%
RF Yumberry 2-3.5% (fades needs help)
RF strawberry (3% way too much kinda plasticy even after 6 weeks, need to test lower 1-1.5% most likely)
RF Blood orange 2%
RF blueberry 2%
RF boysenberry 1-2%
RF brown sugar 0.25-0.75%
Rf condensed milk 1-1.5%
RF cream soda 1-1.5%
RF peach 1-3%
RF pink candy 1-3%
RF white chocolate 2-4%
RF black raspberry 1-2.5%
RF vanilla custard 1-3%
RF oatmeal cookie 1-2.5%
RF rootbeer fountain 2-3.5%
RF kiwi 0.5-1.5%
Rf cheesecake 0.25-0.5% (strong, slightly sour)
Rf peanut butter 1-2%
RF cinnamon toast 0.25-1.0%
RF blackberry 1-2.5%
RF blue rasp 2-3%
RF cake batter 0.5-1%
RF meringue 1%-2%
RF marshmallow (? Odd grainy note present in SC version like rice krispy taste- prefer Vg version

All but one man’s opinion. Just my 2 cents further testing still needed

14 Likes

Lol i just did screenshot so i could easier give my suggestions for %s. I have more than is on this list :wink:

3 Likes

This is worth a LOT more than 2 cents! Thank you for your efforts with these as most of us don’t know how much is too much flavoring. Brilliant job!:+1:

3 Likes

As @Volition has suggested DIY is a bit of black art, meaning definative answers to many questions regarding flavor interactions, layering, flavor bending, steeping and so on are still largely unanswered. Single Flavor testing is your best friend for advancing in DIY as you can verify what each flavor can add to a mix and what percentage is ideal . I now label and date all SF tests and wish i had done so when i began my DIY journey. The struggle is real lol and i myself aporeciate the suggestions of others and try to pay it forward to the best of my ability.

6 Likes

if i could give only one suggestion to a new mixer this might be it. " SF test everything "

7 Likes

It shows that you have done your homework!

4 Likes

I agree, SF test everything. I didn’t start until about halfway through procuring my flavors, so I don’t think I’ll ever catch up. I was very surprised to find quite a few that I even like stand alone. But it has helped tremendously, and I do notice I use much more of the later purchases that I have tested, and the first 100 or so have been collecting dust. Simply because I know what they will do more.

4 Likes

I would search this thread and the recipe side for suggested single flavor percents and use those as a guide. As @mixologist13 pointed out some are great SF at much lower percents than others and the only way to know what will work for you is use the tasting notes in this thread and suggested percents on the recipe side to find a starting point for your own testing and then try it for your self and make thorough notes.

QFT

I don’t think I ever SF tested any of the 70 or 80 non-RF flavors I bought other than maybe the RY4 flavors. I am getting to the point where I don’t even want to bother using them up but I hate letting them go to waste so I may put them up for sale/trade or just PIF them to someone that can use them if I decide to stop using them.

I got 20+ more RF SC in my cart already ($17 or $18 shipping for 20 flavors to go 20 miles seems a bit excessive so I am going to have to do will call on my next/big order) and am waiting on @Walt_RealFlavors to have another sale.

1 Like

Well @mixologist13, at least you left me a few flavors too test on my own!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@R113 Yes, I do have all of these flavorings…
Go hard or go home, right?

Any thoughts on what will evaporate out of these? I mean should i mix flavors in the bottle the night before? any thoughts on if i should do anything different steep-wise?

2 Likes

I haven’t had any problems with harshness or alcohol just mixing regular. I say just mix the way you usually do and if it tastes harsh at all steep it a bit longer.

7 Likes

I have never heard of anyone doing this and I am not sure what it would accomplish. I drop in nic, flavors, pg, vg, hit it with my badger paint mixer for 20 or 30 seconds (longer if doing a 100 or 200ml batch instead of my 20ml testers) then leave the cap off for 60-90 minutes. Then I cap it and forget about it for at least a few days or a week before I test it.

2 Likes

@Fozzy71 It was talked about, and suggested, to evaporate some of the alcohol off before mixing, to help the overall steep process, any alcohol(hopefully) would evaporate into the empty space in the almost empty bottle to be mixed in, then the following morning i would upcap, and add other ingredients. Hopefully helping the steep process…

although, we are now 2/3 suggesting not to bother, so i will probably just mix regularly.

Thank you everyone for your input on this!!, going to mix a couple here shortly, and then will start adding notes after 48 hours.

2 Likes